VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567

Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization was created by Eagle Six

Posted 06 Sep 2015 07:48 #1
First......I would like a shortcut key to "Render As". I reviewed your very concise Keyboard Shortcut Key download, went through the SMS Help shortcut key list, and several other online resources......no can find! I did find "Ctrl+M" which opens up "Render to New Track". This seems like the same thing as "Render As".

I also notice that almost any shortcut key can be customized in Vegas, but that option doesn't appear in SMS 13 Platium.

.....so, my question are.....is there a "Render As" shortcut key? Is the Ctrl+M "Render to New Track" the same option? And is there not an option in SMS 13 Platium to customize shortcut keys?

Second.....In the "General sub-forum" in the topic "old video restoration" in one of your replies refering to Sony stabilization you state, "To use stabilization, you need to apply the effect before you drag media to the timeline." I assume there is a good reason for you to advise this, and I'm not questioing your wisdom. My question is simply to understand why?

That's it.....my first official question post. Thanks in advance Derek and forum members for your feedback.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:06 Sep 2015 08:58 by Eagle Six

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization

Posted 06 Sep 2015 13:09 #2
Hi again Eagle Six (please share your first name if that's OK with you).

There is no shortcut for Render As.
In version 13 of Movie Studio Platinum, they removed Render As and replaced it with only Make Movie, however this is rather annoying for experienced users because we have to jump through too many hoops to get the Advanced Settings. I hope they bring a direct link and shortcut back for Render As in version 14.

My instructions about how to apply stabilization come directly from Sony's help file on the topic.
Something that I did not mention is that you can apply Stabilization on the timeline, however you must add it as a Media FX and not Video FX.
I avoid Stabilization like the plague, because Sony's version is very primitive and does not work well when pushed to the test.

If you do an experiment right now and try to apply Stabilization as a Video FX Effect on the timeline, you will receive a warning message.
However, if you right-click a video on the timeline and go to Media FX, it will work.
To be honest I didn't realize you could do it this way in V13 - I had instructions for the older version stuck in my head.

If you are really serious about Video Stabilization, I suggest you explore some more advanced and more expensive products.
The No.1 option going on feedback is Mercalli V4+ SAL (stand alone)
www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/mercalli_v4,l-us.html
You can also buy their previous generations of the software at a significant discount, however V4 really does the job properly. If your thumbnail indicates you are a motorbike rider, you will appreciate how well this software works in cleaning up footage.
Full range of ProDAD/Mercalli products available here.
www.prodad.com/home,l-us.html

New Blue FX makes a Stabilizer which is part of their New Blue Essentials pack.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see it is included with the Elite and Ultimate packs.
New Blue FX products will work inside of Movie Studio Platinum as drag and drop FX.
www.newbluefx.com/essentials

Adobe Premier Pro includes Warp Stabilizer, however that requires learning Pro level software from scratch.

All the best.
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 20:27 by DoctorZen

Replied by Richard Jones on topic Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization

Posted 06 Sep 2015 19:25 #3
Does Mercalli now work with the Studio versions of Vegas? I know that when I bought it, it was only available for Pro.

It is an excellent stabilizer but it might be interesting to note that Mercalli 2 is available as a Plug In for Vegas Pro which streamlines the process although without offering many of the new features available n Version 4. As an example of how good the stabilizer is, I had some old cine film digitalized. I foundt there was a sprocket problem which caused extreme judder in the film - Mercalli 2 dealt with it remarkably well.

Richard

Richard

Posted 06 Sep 2015 22:51 #4

Richard Jones wrote: Does Mercalli now work with the Studio versions of Vegas? I know that when I bought it, it was only available for Pro.

The older version 2 of Mercalli only works in Vegas Pro.
Version 3 and the latest Version 4 are now Stand Alone programs only.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization

Posted 07 Sep 2015 00:22 #5

DoctorZen wrote: There is no shortcut for Render As.
In version 13 of Movie Studio Platinum, they removed Render As and replaced it with only Make Movie, however this is rather annoying for experienced users because we have to jump through too many hoops to get the Advanced Settings. I hope they bring a direct link and shortcut back for Render As in version 14.

Thanks for the confirmation Derek. I'll just use the Ctrl+M. Although the window header is Render as New Track it appears to be the identical window as Render As. It has the same Format and Templates list/options, as well as, the same Folder and Name options.

DoctorZen wrote: My instructions about how to apply stabilization come directly from Sony's help file on the topic.
Something that I did not mention is that you can apply Stabilization on the timeline, however you must add it as a Media FX and not Video FX.
I avoid Stabilization like the plague, because Sony's version is very primitive and does not work well when pushed to the test.

If you do an experiment right now and try to apply Stabilization as a Video FX Effect on the timeline, you will receive a warning message.
However, if you right-click a video on the timeline and go to Media FX, it will work.
To be honest I didn't realize you could do it this way in V13 - I had instructions for the older version stuck in my head.

I have used the Sony Stabilization (sparingly) before on the timeline via Media FX. As you point out, it is very weak. Apparently there isn't any difference in the end results from Media FX on the timeline, or Video FX in the Projects Media.

DoctorZen wrote: If you are really serious about Video Stabilization, I suggest you explore some more advanced and more expensive products.
The No.1 option going on feedback is Mercalli V4+ SAL (stand alone)
www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/mercalli_v4,l-us.html
You can also buy their previous generations of the software at a significant discount, however V4 really does the job properly. If your thumbnail indicates you are a motorbike rider, you will appreciate how well this software works in cleaning up footage.
Full range of ProDAD/Mercalli products available here.
www.prodad.com/home,l-us.html

New Blue FX makes a Stabilizer which is part of their New Blue Essentials pack.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see it is included with the Elite and Ultimate packs.
New Blue FX products will work inside of Movie Studio Platinum as drag and drop FX.
www.newbluefx.com/essentials

Thanks for the reference Derek, I'll look into the Mercalli for consideration in the future. The optical stabilization in my Canon XLH1 works rather well, and if I need some post stabilization it usually is very little. At my age, the run and gun days are behind me, although other vehicle platforms I may use sometimes create a need.
Best Regards......George

Posted 07 Sep 2015 10:14 #6
You are right that Ctrl+M opens the identical Render As window, however the function Render As New Track is a double function that renders and inserts the new video back onto the timeline when it is finished.

Make Movie/Save to Hard Drive/Advanced renders your project without adding anything back onto the timeline - this is what 99% of people do.

I'm sure you already realize this, but I just want to be clear for any other person that may read this forum thread in the future.

Cheers :)

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Keyboard Shortcut Keys and Sony Stabilization

Posted 08 Sep 2015 01:02 #7

DoctorZen wrote: I'm sure you already realize this, but I just want to be clear for any other person that may read this forum thread in the future.

....so, I'll pretend I'm not me, but rather any other person that may read this! Going beyond the revelation of embarrassment......I wondered how I could have made this mistake.....was it assumption, was it a bad old guys day?

When I initially found the Ctrl+M key that led me to Render as New Track, I did recognize the key words New Track, but when I tested it, there was no new track inserted in the timeline, or so I thought!!

Going back in my feeble mind trying to determine how I missed this, it is quite clear to me, that I wasn't where I thought I was......maybe my body was, but certainly my mind was somewhere else.....perhaps in deep space!

What does this prove? It proves, once again, I'm never to old to learn. It proves, as well balanced as I think I am, I can still trip over my own feet. It proves, even as an old guy, it's good to laugh at myself. It also proves, never mess with DoctorZen!!

Once again, Thanks Derek.....
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:08 Sep 2015 01:04 by Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.771 seconds