VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Can load mp4s into MSP12, but not MSP13

Can load mp4s into MSP12, but not MSP13 was created by lingyai

Posted 09 Sep 2015 08:44 #1
Hi all,

I seem to have newbie's bad luck -- in my first project after installing MSP13, the first files I've tried to add to it do not import properly. It is very odd because these mp4 files -- purchased for royalty-free use from the company Video Blocks -- play fine in MSP 12, Windows Move Maker, Windows Media Player and GOM Player.

But when I add them to MS13 (which plays the pre-loaded Sony demo files fine, by the way), they just appear as solid green.

I read online that it's a good idea to have G-Spot check the codec. Here is a screenshot of the G-Spot results.

tbf.me/a/BNwuOP

Again, strange that the other programs play it fine.

Any advice? Otherwise, I'm stuck at Square 1... :-/
by lingyai
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can load mp4s into MSP12, but not MSP13

Posted 09 Sep 2015 15:01 #2
Please send direct link to the Video Blocks page that shows video you are trying to use.
I also use Video Blocks and have not experienced this problem.

Video Blocks normally supplies all there downloads in multiple formats.
Some of those formats are better suited for Apple Mac computers and not Windows computers.
However, if you have Apple Quicktime for Windows installed on your computer, you should be able to play most Apple formats in Movie Studio.

There is also another thing I need to talk to you about.
I have just sent an two email to you.
I am receiving automated emails from you, every time I send an email. This is going to create a lot of confusion on my end.
Please ONLY use a normal email address when creating an account.
I have sent you instructions on how to change your email address.
If you need any help with this, please let me know.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by lingyai on topic Can load mp4s into MSP12, but not MSP13

Posted 10 Sep 2015 00:51 #3
Thanks for your reply. Here is a link to the clip in question:

www.videoblocks.com/video/cigarette-smoke-on-black-background-2/?sguid=5cf470be-4be7-4620-af71-14481d13464e&sslid=d878fca4-2ee1-4856-a6ea-96e56fb1af66&tab=subscription

The .mp4 version will work in MSP12 but not MSP13. The 2k .mov version works in both. I have Quicktime up to date on my W7 PC. So, the project can move ahead in this case, but I'd like to know what to do in the future in case I can't workaround by using an alternate file format.

I've seen a lot of posts around the web re Vegas or MS not handling certain .mp4 files, so I think this might be some sort of persistent bug, because the only solutions I've seen are to convert "problematic" files to another format. That raises the question of which conversion tool / formats are best to use -- might be worth a separate thread.

I've emailed you regarding the matter of accounts and emails. Yesterday's problem was due in part to my forgetting which email I'd used to set up my account, and in part due to your verification emails not arriving anywhere. I propose a solution in my PM.

Thanks again.
by lingyai

Posted 10 Sep 2015 18:33 #4
Thanks for sending link to Video Blocks.
I downloaded the same video and can confirm the same behaviour.
Videos works OK in Vegas Pro 13 and Movie Studio Platinum 12, but does not work in Movie Studio Platinum 13.
The best thing to do is report this to Sony Creative Software Support and get them to look at it.
I will report it myself, however it is often a good idea for more than one person to do this, so that it gets noticed.

It could also be just a strange one off that is only particular to that video clip in your link.

When it comes to .mp4 videos, you can't treat them all the same and say that it is a general problem for Vegas and Movie Studio. You need to look at it case by case.
The reason is because a .mp4 video is a generic video container format, that could be using any number of different video codecs.
There are a large number of video codecs being used today and some of these are custom made for just one particular product or software program.
Most of the time when people report to me about a video not working in Vegas Pro/Movie Studio, it ends up being a non-standard video codec that needs converting before it will work.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lingyai

Replied by lingyai on topic Can load mp4s into MSP12, but not MSP13

Posted 11 Sep 2015 04:50 #5
Thanks, DoctorZen. Is there a particular conversion program you'd recommend?
by lingyai

Posted 11 Sep 2015 20:17 #6
The free program I use most of the time is Any Video Converter "free edition".
www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Some times you may have to try a number of different video conversion programs before you find the right one. The reason for this is that some converters have the same problem that video editing programs have, where certain codecs do not work properly.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.796 seconds