VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash

• Morgan
  • Morgan's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash was created by Morgan

Posted 11 Oct 2015 08:18 #1
Hi,

(NOTE Before reading further, please note that, after watching some more videos I'm pretty sure that I've managed to solve the problem described below by adjusting the Project Properties correctly. The only thing I don't know is, do you have to set the Project Properties before beginning the project, or is it possible to change them once the project has been started and saved.) It has been a LONG but interesting day.

I hope I'm in the right forum for this. When I record mp4 video with my Panasonic FZ300 camera and insert it into a MovieStudioP 13 project, the program crashes when I try to render. As a test, I made a short video, inserted it into a project without doing anything else to it. Upon rendering, the program crashes. It doesn't do this with mp4 files from other cameras or sources, just the FZ300. I've checked settings as best I know how on the FZ300, and the mp4 files play well on the PC.

When starting the test project, I use Match Media Settings and browse to the file in question. When rendering, I select mp4, then Advanced options...., from there I choose MainConcept AVC/AAC, and Internet HD 1080P for the render. This works well on projects not containing mp4s from the FZ300.

I'm wondering if there are any other settings I should look at and try in MSP13 to get the mp4 files to not crash.

Before I tracked this down to the FZ300 mp4 files, I cleared the cache on MSP13 twice, even reinstalled the program twice.

Edit since first posting:

I tried to render the file again, but this time I went to Make Movie, then selected copy to HD as before, and then selected MP4, but this time I did NOT go to advanced editing and select the MainConcept AVC/AAC, and Internet HD 1080P for the render. I just went straight to render. This seems to have fixed the problem, as it is well into the render and has not crashed.

I'd still be very interested in any comments from others on this issue.

Second Edit!:

The crashing upon render has begun again, even when proceeding as described in previous edit. I flushed the cache and it still crashes when the render gets to the mp4 file from the FZ300. I'm once again totally stumped!!!
Last Edit:11 Oct 2015 14:40 by Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic mp4 files from Panasonic DMC-FZ300 camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 14:50 #2
Hi Morgan

This sounds like a video codec problem - there must be something unusual about the the way the Panasonic DMC-FZ300 is creating mp4 files.

Make sure you have the latest build version of Movie Studio Platinum 13 installed - we are up to build #955.
Go to Help (in Movie Studio) - About Movie Studio Platinum to find build version installed.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/moviestudiope

Also make sure you have Apple Quicktime installed.

I looked up the specifications for your camera and can see that it offers 2 different File Format Recording Modes.
It can record videos using AVCHD Ver 2.0 and MP4.
AVCHD Ver 2.0 is a better quality format to record all your videos with - much better than lower quality MP4.
MP4 is designed for quick upload to places like YouTube without any editing, because it is more compressed and thus is smaller in file size.

Go get your camera right now and switch the recording mode to AVCHD.
I can't find a manual online, so I'm in the dark a bit from now on.
You should also be able to cycle through different quality modes and frame rate settings - make sure you set it to the Maximum Recording Level/Bit Rate.
Full 1920x1080 24 Mbps.

Now record a few minutes test footage and then import into new test project.
Go directly to Make Movie/Save to Hard Drive/Advanced
Choose Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p
Start render.
My guess is that it will render OK this time with no crashes.

If it does crash again, you need to contact Sony Support for more advanced help.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/techsupport
Please let me know either way what happens, because I do have some other suggestions once you test AVCHD video.

For any existing MP4 videos you want to edit, you will need to convert them into a different format.
There are a large number of video conversion programs available, you may already have one.
I recommend Any Video Converter free edition
www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 14:53 #3
So I just posted a reply to your original message and see you have added something to it.
If you use the Match Media function when importing your videos, you do not need to edit the Project Properties - they will be set automatically for you.
The only setting which must be changed is the quality setting - always set video and audio quality to best.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Morgan
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Morgan on topic mp4 files from Panasonic DMC-FZ300 camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 15:12 #4
Hi Derek,

I was able to get things working again by following the instructions in How to Render 1080p HD Video .mp4 for YouTube using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 video, so I am up and running for now.
However, your reply has some fantastic info in it which I will follow right away. I will switch camera formats and start experimenting right away. The info about AVCHD Ver 2.0 is great. I tried shooting a test video in that format, but was unable to find the file on the memory card! The mp4s are under the DCIM folder but no AVCHD files anywhere. I have the advanced manual in a .pdf, so it should have info there if I can't find the file. Anyway, I can sort that out I'm sure.

Thanks again for your help.

Morgan
by Morgan

• Morgan
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Morgan on topic mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 15:14 #5
Well, that's good to know. I'd prefer to use Match Media anyway. It just seems like the thing to do.

Thanks.
by Morgan

Replied by DoctorZen on topic mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 15:28 #6
I assumed because of your first message that you were using Movie Studio Platinum 13.
If this is the actual version you are using, this is the correct tutorial to watch for how to render video.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/516-1080p-video-in-movie-studio-platinum-13

File structures vary quite a lot, depending on which device you are using.
On my Sony A7S, AVCHD is inside of the PRIVATE folder.
Just open up every single folder and you will find where they are hiding.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2015 15:29 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morgan

• Morgan
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Morgan on topic mp4 files from Panasonic camera causes crash

Posted 11 Oct 2015 16:30 #7
Well, at least I found the files! I am using VSP 13. I watched the video. I'm still having problems, but I now have a few things to experiment with. I'll start up again tomorrow. I'll post here if I learn anything useful.
Last Edit:11 Oct 2015 16:32 by Morgan

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds