VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved removing colour banding

• ets
  • ets's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 6

removing colour banding was created by ets

Posted 13 Oct 2015 20:34 #1
Hi all
When rendering I have some footage with clean sky who has a lot of ugly colour banding.
Are there any tricks to avoid or minimize this?
Thanks for reply......
by ets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic removing colour banding

Posted 13 Oct 2015 23:46 #2
I am in no way an expert on this topic. This is one of those topics that can very quickly take you down the rabbit hole into an incredibly complex world of discussion.

Blue sky is one of the most difficult things for any video codec to render, due to the continual/gradual colour shift.
Video codecs like Mainconcept AVC, group blocks of pixels together when compressing the video, to keep the file size under control, but this also has a negative effect on certain subjects. Most video that comes out of consumer grade cameras, only uses 8 bit 4:2:0 colour space - which is more susceptible to banding. Professionals use cameras that output to much higher value colour spaces like 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, which can handle blue sky encoding much better.

Here is a great video that explains part of the problem.

Simple answers
If using Mainconcept AVC/AAC, turn on Two Pass Rendering and the De-Blocking Filter.

Try a different codec to render with, that uses a higher Bit Rate, like the Sony XAVC profiles.

Transcode your videos into a lossless format like Avid DNxHD, before you import into Vegas/Movie Studio. This un-locks your videos and helps them not break apart while editing. When it comes time for rendering, they should hold up better. Go Pro has the free Go Pro Studio software you can use to convert all videos to Cineform, which is also another lossless format. Apple users convert to Apple ProRes.

John Rofrano has a great tutorial which explains how to encode video to Avid DNxHD in the Sony Vegas/Movie Studio environment.
johnrofrano.com/training/video-tutorials/avid-dnxhd-template-for-vegas-pro/

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:13 Oct 2015 23:51 by DoctorZen

• ets
  • ets's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by ets on topic removing colour banding

Posted 14 Oct 2015 22:15 #3
Hi Derek
thanks for reply.
You are right.
the sky seemed to be a difficult compression item.
I googled a little bit around.

Thanks for the deblocking tip.
On some footage I added a little bit of noise.
Overall noise seem to be more pleasant than bands of colour.
yes and this colour bit explanations are really hard for me.....
best regards
emmanuel
Last Edit:31 Dec 2015 10:40 by ets
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.812 seconds