VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Square outline animated using SM ver 11 - how to track an object?

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90
Hi Derek and other forum members,
Not sure this is a correct place to ask for advice - but here goes.

Imagine you are in a field.
In that field there is a square flagged area, measuring 25 metres by 25 metres. It is an area holding several small articles (match box size) that a dog has to find in four minutes. The whole action of the dog working is videoed.
But as the camera pans or zooms in and out - the "search area" confines are not clear as the flags do not always remain in the field of view.
Is it possible using MS version 11 plat. to create an outline showing the designated area - ie a square that is "deformed" to take into account perspective - which then may be moved as the field of view changes?
I have attempted to place an outlined square with no fill as an transparent overlay (.png) which worked - but it obviously remained static as the view moved, which resulted in the square no longer being in the correct place relative to the video on the primary time line.

I realise there is no accounting for personal taste in hobbies - but hey, give some slack and humour me - I would be so pleased if the above is possible.

Regards,
Peter
Last Edit:05 Nov 2015 17:39 by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Peter

I think I understand the theory of what you are explaining.
You need to use a different type of software program to track an object or have an object move in sync with a background.

Hitfilm Pro is what I would suggest.
Hitfilm Pro is an advanced special effects program that also comes with another program called "Mocha".
Mocha is a Planar Tracking Tool that lets you place tracking points in a video, so that other objects will move around in relation to those tracking/anchor points. It is a bit hard to explain properly with just words, so you need to watch a few video tutorials on the topic.

Read this for explanation about Mocha www.imagineersystems.com/products/what-is-mocha/

I'm not sure which exact Hitfilm tutorials for you to watch, but I can point you in the general direction.
Watch the videos about Planar Tracking.
hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/camera-solving
hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/compositing

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:05 Nov 2015 17:40 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Square outline animated using SM ver 11 - how to track an object?

Posted 06 Nov 2015 12:41 #3
Hi Derek,

Good man! - You pictured my requirement perfectly.
The links you indicated put me onto the type of software required - "HitfilmPro" looks rather special and way above my needs (am sure it is worth the cash outlay).
Anyway, came across "Blender" with one of its features. See the link : Camera and object tracking.
www.blender.org/features/
Hoping that it will produce the overlay I need - we shall see.
If it works and I am able to bring the result back into SM - then should be able to use the technique in multiple situations.

Life is good - two hobbies: Working Trials and video editing.
Many thanks

Peter
by Peter

I tried to learn Blender a few years ago and it destroyed my sanity.
It is a very powerful program and takes a lot of time to learn how to use properly. However today there are a huge amount of tutorials on YouTube now and a very large community, so it is easier to learn in 2015.

Once of the best websites about Blender is www.blenderguru.com/
Andrew Price who runs Blender Guru, actually inspired me to create Movie Studio Zen, because I really like his video tutorials and teaching style.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by GM1968 on topic Square outline animated using SM ver 11 - how to track an object?

Posted 23 Nov 2015 22:49 #5
Hello,

Hitfilm 3 express can do tracking for free and Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 12 too.

I hope this function will happen one day on the Sony softwares.

:wink:
by GM1968
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Square outline animated using SM ver 11 - how to track an object?

Posted 29 Nov 2015 12:08 #6
Hi GM1968 and Derek at al,

GM1968 - many thanks for your pointers - have just read your message, so will take a look later.

Derek, in the end - Blender was "beyond my needs".

Having downloaded Vegas Pro as a trial - I spend many hours trying to create the effect that I was looking for using motion track 3D - but could not achieve the perspective required. There was an inability to move the corner nodes on a rectangle allowing for the easy creation of different sized sides (my lack no doubt).

So, screen captured, copied and pasted a relevant view point from the original video and pasted it into Inkscape, then on a new layer created a square and manipulated the corner nodes to generate the required shape. Removed the background and saved the now isolated "shape" as a .png with 100% transparent background. This was brought into MS11 - placed on the timeline as a video track overlaying the main one.

Worked a treat - since the camera did not move in this instance!

Two thoughts:
1. Illusion works until I or Gaia enter the view - then - well see what happens!
2. Obviously this is not going to work if the camera actually moves during the videoing - any thoughts?

See:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eVwEq5Whlg&feature=youtu.be
The very short video showing the out come of what I was wanting to achieve.

Just thought I would let you know how things developed.
Many regards,

Peter
by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.239 seconds