VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Standard Photo size and dimension for the timeline, heads of photos are cut off on timeline.

Hello,

In my home family project, I added 50 photos to the timeline. Unfortunately, I cannot view the entire photo. I can see about two thirds of each photo. For some of the photos tops and bottom are cutoff, I can see the center section. Others, I see two thirds of the photos, the top third is missing (heads). I tried using the photo Track Motion tool to adjust the size of the photos so I can view entire pictures but that did not resolve the issue. I think the dimension may the issue. The dimensions of my photos vary. For instance, a few are 960x688 and some are larger. What is the standard size dimension, width and height, for photos?

I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum version 12.

Thanks.

Carter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Carter

First thing to check is your Project Properties.
Makes sure the Frame Size is set to the standard Width 1920 x Height 1080 pixels.

Most photos are not shot using the same 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio that video uses, so you always have to do some type of adjustment when working with photos. Many photos use 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratio.

Next thing to check is your Preview Window settings.
Right-click the Preview Window and make sure Scale Video to Fit Preview Window is turned ON.
If this is turned off, half of your video screen will be hidden.

If you have a mixed bag of pictures shot at different resolutions (width x height), you may need to adjust each photo one at a time.
The best tool for doing this is Event Pan/Crop.
Button to access this tool is in bottom right corner of all pictures on timeline.

If you want each picture to fill the screen, select 16:9 widescreen from the Preset window at top.
Then drag video frame up/down to show the important parts of each photo.

If you want to see full picture, you will probably end up with black bars on the sides of picture.
Set preset to (Default).

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Nov 2015 16:38 by DoctorZen

Hello,

My Project Properties was set to 720x420 before changing it to the suggested 1920x1080 pixels. The Preview Window's "Scale Video to Fit Preview Windows" setting was turned on. The project is set to wide screen NTSC. Unfortunately, parts of my photos are still cut off. I hate that I will have to pan and crop each photo but there is no work around. Thank you for the settings information and quick response Derek.

I like this forum. I am still learning the Movie Studio software and the forum and tutorial videos are fantastic.

Carter

Have you watched my tutorial on how to create a slideshow ?
It has a lot of good information on how to be creative and dealing with different sized photos.
When you create a slideshow, you need to set the Project Properties yourself and not use the Match Media function. I think this is what happened in your project, because by default, all of your photos should show without being chopped off and may have black bars at either side.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/63-how-to-create-a-manual-slideshow-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-10
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Hi Derek,

I learned new things viewing your Slideshow tutorial. For example, how to chang the photo duration via the preferences, making use of those available pan\crop presets, and copying key frames! For a different project, I used key frame in the intro to make my text slowly appear across the screen like in the Jason Bourne Movies, every four spaces. Thanks for the info and linking your video. Your tutorial is fantastic!

Yes, the media match function is selected to match the three video clips in my slideshow project.

You are very good!

Thank you!

Carter

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds