VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Best settings to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to .mp4

Best settings to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to .mp4 was created by mgoetze

Posted 27 Nov 2015 06:43 #1
Hi everyone,
I’d like to get people’s advice on the best settings to convert AVCHD 60i video to .mp4 format using Sony Movie Studio ( or Sony Vegas).

Here is what I am trying to do:
I have a Sony HDR-S11 camcorder and am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. I have a large number of videos that are shot in 1920x1080 60i. I want to convert these videos to .MP4 format while maintaining the highest possible video quality.

After doing some research online I believe these are the best settings in Vegas / Movie Studio to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to 1080-30p MP4:

New Project Settings
Region: America 60Hz / NTSC
Video: AVCHD > 1920x1080-60i
* Or I just match source media.

Set Project Properties (Video Tab)
Template: HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)
Field Order: Upper Field first
Full-resolution rendering quality: Best
Deinterlaced method: Interpolate fields

Make Movie Settings (Render) – Custom Template
Formats: Sony AVC/MVC
Custom Templates based on Internet 1920x1080-30p (.mp4)
- video format: AVC
- frame size: High Definition (1920x1080)
- profile: high
- entropy coding: CABAC
- frame rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
- Allow source to adjust frame rate (this box is checked)
- field order: None (progressive scan)
- pixel aspect: 1.0000
- bit rate (bps): 16,000,000
- number of slices: 1
- encode mode: automatic
- Enable progressive download (this box is checked)

Here is the problem:
When I use the settings above the playback quality is decent, HOWEVER, there are noticeable stutters or jumps in the video as it is playing. It’s not a constant stutter, but rather it seems to skip a few frames every 4, maybe 5 seconds. Also, the picture does not look nearly as crisp as the original, which is a smaller issue but worth mentioning. When I play the unedited .m2ts video is it smooth and fluid (although there are some noticeable interlace lines in select scenes).

Any suggestions on my settings or any other methods for converting 1080-60i .m3ts to .mp4?

Thank you,
Mark
Last Edit:27 Nov 2015 14:52 by mgoetze

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best settings to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to .mp4

Posted 27 Nov 2015 14:55 #2
Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum.

Which exact program and version are you using ?

Where is the final destination for your video clips ? Meaning what device will you be viewing the .mp4 videos on ?

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by mgoetze on topic Best settings to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to .mp4

Posted 28 Nov 2015 06:47 #3
Hi Derek,
I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 (Build 955)

I am storing these videos on our Plex media server at home so they can be viewed by friends and family via the plex app on their PC, phone, tablet, Apple TV, etc.

I made two sample videos so you can see the type of quality I currently have. I would love to get your feedback on the quality.

This is using the Deinterlace method = Blend:

This is using the Deinterlace method = Interpolate:
Last Edit:28 Nov 2015 15:14 by mgoetze

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best settings to convert 1080-60i AVCHD to .mp4

Posted 28 Nov 2015 15:13 #4
The best place to start is by using the default Mainconcept AVC/AAC .mp4 - Internet 1080p Make Movie/Render As settings.
I have a video tutorial which explains all the steps. If you follow exactly what I show in the tutorial, you can't go wrong.
Don't get put off by the word Internet.

How to Render 1080p HD Video in Movie Studio Platinum 13

For best performance you set the Project Properties in Movie Studio to Match your Camcorders Video Properties, which in your case is Interlaced Video. However if you follow the steps in the tutorial you won't have to set anything, the program will do it for you with the Match Media function. When it is time for exporting/rendering using Make Movie, the render template will convert your video to Progressive Video, which makes it perfect for playback on a multitude of different devices.

Phones, Tablets and Computers only playback Progressive Style Video - which is the default gold standard in 2015.
TVs use to only playback Interlaced Style Video, because it is easier to broadcast over free to air TV.
Modern HD 1080p and 4K TVs can playback both Interlaced and Progressive Style Video, however Progressive is the better option when available.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Nov 2015 15:16 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds