VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum?

Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum? was created by Archlich

Posted 29 Nov 2015 16:31 #1
I'm needing to do some far-out VFX for an animated (machinima) scifi/horror video series. Fortunately, Youtube is brimming with free effect overlays, motion graphics, etc.

Many of them are not chroma-keyed, though. They need certain blend modes (screen, additive, color dodge, etc) to be effective. Does Platinum 13 have tools to do that? All I've found so far is Multiply...

Thanks!
:cheer:
Ego svm post mortem.
Ego svm vltra.
Last Edit:29 Nov 2015 18:07 by Archlich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 29 Nov 2015 18:14 #2
Sony Movie Studio Platinum only has basic composite/blend modes.
Only Sony Vegas Pro has the full range of blending modes that you mentioned.

However there is an alternate free program called Hitfilm Express, which does have the full range of blending modes.
Hitfilm Express is a Video Editor and Special FX program - the little brother of Hitfilm Pro.

Download from here:
hitfilm.com/express

Hitfilm has a YouTube channel to get you started as well.
hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archlich

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 29 Nov 2015 23:03 #3

DoctorZen wrote: Sony Movie Studio Platinum only has basic composite/blend modes.
Only Sony Vegas Pro has the full range of blending modes that you mentioned.

However there is an alternate free program called Hitfilm Express, which does have the full range of blending modes.
Hitfilm Express is a Video Editor and Special FX program - the little brother of Hitfilm Pro.

Download from here:
hitfilm.com/express
/

Derek,
Does Hitfilm Express run inside of SONY Movie Studio 13 Platinum Suite or is it a stand alone program ?
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

Posted 30 Nov 2015 09:04 #4
I actually use Hitfilm Pro 3 and have it integrated with Sony Vegas Pro 13.
When I right-click a video on the timeline, there is an option that says Add Hitfilm Effect.
Selecting this opens the video in Hitfilm Pro. When I save the project in Hitfilm, it also saves the changes back into Vegas Pro.

Because I use Hitfilm Pro, I cannot also use Hitfilm Express in the same way. Hitfilm only allows one program version to work in this way.
Sony Software has a great article which explains how this function works in more detail.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/hitfilm_vegas_movie_studio_integration

I am not sure if you can still integrate Movie Studio Platinum with Hitfilm Express 3. I don't have the ability to test this myself, because I don't want to un-install Hitfilm Pro 3 from my computer and my laptop has died of old age. I can't seem to find any up to date info on this using Google.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Nov 2015 09:05 by DoctorZen

Replied by Peter on topic Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 30 Nov 2015 12:59 #5
Hi Derek,
Seems as if one is only able to download the Hitfilm Express if you are a member of Facebook, Reddit, Google+ or Twitter!
I suppose most people are - but being one of the few "Luddites" - it appears I am unable to try it out.

Humbug!

Peter
by Peter

Posted 30 Nov 2015 15:54 #6
You can bypass sharing if you are unable to do this step :wink:
Go to this web page hitfilm.com/express#download
Select Share on Reddit
Now close the pop-up window that just opened (red x box top right corner)
You must create a new account with Hitfilm by entering the 3 fields at top and then press Send me the Download at bottom of screen :silly:
You should be OK to continue with no more road blocks :!:
Last Edit:30 Nov 2015 15:55 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

Replied by Peter on topic Blend Modes in Sony Movie Studio Platinum?

Posted 01 Dec 2015 11:41 #7
Hi Derek,
I'm stunned that you would have this gem of information - and of course it worked!
In return - if you ever need to know how to train a dog to find that lost frizbee, let me know.
Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 01 Dec 2015 12:10 #8

If you ever need to know how to train a dog to find that lost frizbee, let me know

I'll keep that in mind :laugh: :woohoo: :idea:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.115 seconds