VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin

• ets
  • ets's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 6

Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin was created by ets

Posted 05 Dec 2015 02:09 #1
hi all
I have mercalli,respeedr and prodraline from prodad to stabilize,speeding up or down, and defisch my footage.They perform better than the offered options in movie studio.
Any one know the best workflow which program to use first and so on.
Pitty that that they don't have one combined program to do this all in one rendering.
Thanks for reply.
Last Edit:06 Dec 2015 10:16 by ets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin

Posted 05 Dec 2015 11:43 #2
Hi ets

I am really pushed for time at the moment, due to a huge increase in questions over the last week.

Have you read this other Forum thread that is active at the moment ?
The guys here may be able to help you out. They definitely should be able to help using Mercalli, I don't forget doing a power search on YouTube and Google.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/697-another-stablization-question-about-using-mercalli-software#2734

Derek :)
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin

Posted 06 Dec 2015 03:39 #3
Hi ets,

Before offering an opinion, I would want to clarify which version of Mercalli you have. If it is version 4, I would run it first, then RespeedR. This is based primarily on a comment made by Robert DeMoulin, in his blog post titled "Bob's Corner: which product is right for you", 2nd to the last paragraph. read it here . This makes a lot of sense as taking the shake/wobble out of the video first will most likely help with the slow motion process.

Reviewing the specification of Prodrenalin, if you have Mercalli 4 and RespeedR, there does appear to be any advantage of Prodrenalin over Movie Studio Platinum.

Please keep in mind, I don't have or ever used Prodrenalin. I have only evaluated Repeedr from their trial version. I do have Mercalli 4. Mercalli should be able to correct any fisheye effect your camera may produce. Movie Studio has superior editing and color balance tools over Prodrenalin, according to ProDAD website specs.

So, I would make corrections in Mercalli to stabilize the footage, then make alteration to playback speed in Respeedr, then bring it into Movie Studio for editing, color correction, special effects, etc. and final render.

Your question is in relation to Mercalli, RespeedR, Prodrenalin, and Movie Studio. I have directly use Movie Studio, Mercalli and tinkered with the trial version of RespeedR, so my opinion is based on some limited experience, viewing some Youtube tutorials and reading the ProDAD website information. So, my opinion is not based on specific knowledge, just my opinion based on what I think I know at this moment.

Which ever workflow you find works best for you, I'm sure others, and myself, would like to hear how you are doing it and the results you are achieving. Best of luck.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:06 Dec 2015 03:41 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• ets
  • ets's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by ets on topic Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin

Posted 06 Dec 2015 23:20 #4
Hi eagle six
thanks for answer.
I have the newest mercalli.
But that one don't defish.
You can choose the used lens or cameratype but it's only there for better calculating cmos correction.
That means that prodad recommands also to defisch after stabelizing I think.
I think the best order is first stabilizing,than respeeding( which is better and much more range than in movie studio) and than defisch with prodrenaline.
But sometimes when I make a timelapse from handheld footage I stabilize it a second time after the respeeding process.
Small movements are big and annoying movements in a time lapse.
So I stabilize a second time.
regards
emmanuel
by ets
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Preparing footage using Mercalli, Respeedr & ProDrenalin

Posted 07 Dec 2015 05:25 #5
Ops, my apology Emmanuel for the fisheye correction mistake. I don't use fisheye footage and apparently totally misread the program specs.

There are so many aspects to these programs and how they actually work inside, I would think advice from the techie developers would be the best guide (have you contacted ProDAD about the workflow), followed by actual end user experience (as you are developing), and then lastly......a guess from someone like me with my relative little hands on.

After considering the work required in each step, if slow motion was one of the corrections, maybe fisheye correction first (if it wasn't detrimental to following operations, just because fisheye drives me nuts!), then stabilize and respeed last. If timelapse was included, it seems it may decrees time in processing if the respeed was done before the stabilization. Looking at it as total frames to process will take X amount of time......slow motion presents more frames to stabilize, where timelapse would present less frames to stabilize. Time to process, for me, isn't as important as the end results, as for my videos I will use stabilization and respeed much less, than others producing sport cam video that may be more action orientated than mine. Not working with fisheye distortion and time not being a big factor for me, I will most likely stabilize first.

At this time, I am using Mercalli, but do not use ReSpeedr or Prodrenalin. Still, I'm interested in your results of developing the best workflow for your video production.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.950 seconds