VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

• MistyRicardo
  • MistyRicardo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Misty Ricardo's Curry Kitchen
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to video editing (1 year). I'm using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite.

I make videos for youtube, and I'd like to know if there is a (free) collection or library of video effects such as rain, snow, steam, fire, molten lava, starry sky, soup falling down the screen, green slime, etc etc. ?

I've seen the occasional YouTube video for one or two interesting video effects (e.g. molten lava), and have followed the video to set the parameters. Fine, but does anyone have a handy list of effects, and the associated settings ?
Misty Ricardo's Curry Kitchen
www.youtube.com/c/MistyRicardo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 05 Dec 2015 05:24 #2
Recardo, right up front I will tell you, this reply doesn't answer your question, but I couldn't resist making a comment.

First however......I watched the video you posted in Welcome to Movie Studio Zen, Lamb Chana Saagwala. I seldom ever give my opinion unless asked, but I have two comments I would like to pass on. The 1st......initially I was expecting you to have included a voice over narration, but actually found your on screen text dragged me into the video even more than I think a narration would have, and the time you left the text of ingredients and instructions on screen, were perfect for my speed of reading. 2nd (and perhaps most important).....man was I hungry after watching!!! Good job and Thank You for posting, I'll visit your channel.

I'm sure Derek and others have a library of special effects and can offer you various resources. I'm sure you have already performed a Google search and found hundreds of resources. Some are free, some are pricey, some are reasonable and royalty free. Another source you may find interesting is HitFilm 3 Express (free for downloading). HitFilm is a composting program which makes special effects creation more capable and easy, although for me there has been a leaning curve. There are many online tutorials to help with getting started. After watching your video and then reading this post, a couple of your special effect listed are interesting, such as; molten lava, soup falling down the screen, green slime! I don't know how you intend to use green slime in your cooking videos, but I'm sure it will be entertaining and I look forward to view the results.

Wish I could be of more help, but Again, Thank You for the video and Good Luck on your channel.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: MistyRicardo

• MistyRicardo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by MistyRicardo on topic Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 05 Dec 2015 05:52 #3
Eagle Six... thanks for the kind words. I try using effects to jazz the videos up, especially transitions between clips. Makes staring at a pan a little more interesting.

I knocked up a Molten Lava effect (not great but ok) a month or two ago (can't remember where I found out how to do it) for my LavaStorm Chicken video...
It's at the beginning and the end.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 05 Dec 2015 11:25 #4
Hi MR

There is nothing worth talking about in the free department.
In the paid department there are some options.

The first one that comes to mind is ProDAD Adorage.
ProDAD has been making effects for many years and has a large library in there Adorage product range. Package #9 probably has what you are looking for.
Here is the range: www.prodad.com/home/products/videoeffects/ado,l-us.html

Another Video FX product that works with Sony software is Pixelan.
Pixelan is the most affordable and best value.
www.pixelan.com/

New Blue FX is another Video FX supplier, however they are not cheap.
www.newbluefx.com/

The final one is Boris FX and they are also a premium brand.
www.borisfx.com/

As Eagle Six has suggested, Hitflim is also another option.
Hitfilm Express is free, however there are some limitations with using the software.
hitfilm.com/
Hitfilm Pro is the paid version and has no limitations.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:05 Dec 2015 11:28 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: MistyRicardo

• MistyRicardo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by MistyRicardo on topic Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 05 Dec 2015 22:20 #5
Thanks Derek, have looked into them all, but it all still looks a little complicated. I think I'm best trawling youtube/internet and slowly compiling a set of effects I'm interested in, by using the built in SMSP effects but with custom tweaks suggested by others.

• MistyRicardo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 07 Dec 2015 21:56 #6
Just a quick update.... have spent $30 on PIxelan 3D Six-Pack. Some nice extra effects.
www.pixelan.com/3d/intro.htm

Replied by Archlich on topic Custom Video Effects for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 17 Dec 2015 10:31 #7
I don't know if they have anything you'd be interested in, but one free resource is
footagecrate.com/

Cheers!
Ego svm post mortem.
Ego svm vltra.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.806 seconds