VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea using mercalli

using mercalli was created by easyrider

Posted 14 Dec 2015 00:03 #1
I have just started using Mercalli 4.0. I watched a few how to videos and they were very helpful. However when I try to export in mjpeg mov with audio pcm 16 bit Mercalli crashes and I have to close program. I haven't figured out how to save my work so I lose it and have to start all over again. I can export in hcv h264 mov with audio pcm 16 bit. Hopefully, this will work when I render and burn a blu ray disk. MY questions are, how to save my work in Mercalli and am I doing something wrong when I export?
Last Edit:16 Dec 2015 23:31 by easyrider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic using mercalli

Posted 14 Dec 2015 04:02 #2
Mercalli 4 doesn't have a project feature, so there is no place to save project settings as you go along. This appears to be a complaint from users way back since version 1, and as yet have not been implemented in version 4.0.452. Of course, you can save the Rolling-Shutter Compensation setting, the Smooth Camera Pan setting, and the Used Camera Optics setting options as defaults. This doesn't help much for the tweak settings, when you are experiencing crashes. I understand your frustration.

Mercalli crashing when exporting/rendering to Motion jpeg has also been reported elsewhere online. However, most of those reports, that I have read, were in v3 or with large files, or batch processing of large files. As my interest is mostly in exporting to ProRes, I have only tested mostly smaller 10 second up to maybe 2 minutes clips, as a comparison, using all the export video codec options and audio options. Mercalli v4 hasn't crashed on me during any of my testing. I read a couple complaints that imply that crashes rendering Motion Jpeg files may have something to do with the graphics card (GPU). It's probably in the user manual somewhere, but I'm not familiar enough with the program at this point to understand if v4 uses GPU, and haven't found a way to check the settings or make changes.

Out of curiosity, what size are your files that you experience the MJpeg crash and what are the specs on your original files, from what camera, what codec, what container, etc.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:14 Dec 2015 08:33 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by easyrider on topic using mercalli

Posted 17 Dec 2015 00:51 #3
Hi George, The camera is the sony cx 550v. The files are in avchd h.264 The properties are m2ts ext.The clips are only 15 to 20 sec and I do them one at a time. Too bad about not saving but good to know so I will adapt accordingly.Your help is appreciated. It usually takes me 2 to 3 weeks to do a blu ray disk movie but I'll post my success or failure. Thanks again

Replied by Eagle Six on topic using mercalli

Posted 17 Dec 2015 05:10 #4
I've have rendered without crashes....m2t, mov, hp4 files with hdv, h264, ProRes 422HQ, and DNxHD220x codecs to the Motion Jpeg/PCM 16. However, I don't have a sample avchd h.264 m2ts ext file. If you have a small sample file I can use, I would be happy to export/render it and check the results. If it crashes in both our Mercalli systems, maybe that would point to the file. If it doesn't crash on my system, then we may assume the problem isn't in the file, but perhaps your system. The smaller the file size the better, but it would have to be a sample that repeatedly crashes your Mercalli. Think about it and let me know if you are interested and we can figure out a way to get me the sample file.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.703 seconds