VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved 1080@60fps vs 1080@30fps

1080@60fps vs 1080@30fps was created by delquad4x

Posted 26 Jan 2016 10:31 #1
I will be getting 2 Run Cam 2 HD "action cams" and they can record 1080 at 60fps.
My Mobius is 1080@30fps, which is pretty standard for most action cameras from what I've been reading.

My questions are:
What advantages are there to recording at 60fps?
Can 60fps be used in a project with a 30fps clip?
What problems, if any, would I expect to encounter?
Which is better?

The Run Cam can also record at 1080@30fps, 720@30fps and 720@120fps.

Thanks for any and all information.

- Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 1080@60fps vs 1080@30fps

Posted 26 Jan 2016 12:02 #2
Hi Michael

50fps and 60fps video create a hyper real look compared to regular 25fps and 30fps video.
24fps is the frame rate the vast majority of movies are shot in, thus creating the "film look".
This basically means 24, 25 & 30fps has more motion blur in the image, compared to 60fps.
60fps is super crisp.

50fps and 60fps are also used for creating smooth slow motion effects in post production - this is quite a common use for these frame rates.
In your video editing program, you can slow 50/60fps video back down to the normal 25/30fps frame rates and the image will be very smooth.

Yes you can mix 60fps with 30fps video in the same project, however you can only output/render to the lower frame rate being used, which is 30fps.
During rendering every second frame of the 60fps video will be dropped or you may have slowed down the 60fps video and no frames will be dropped.
If you tried to do the opposite and render everything to 60fps, all the 30fps video has 30 more artificial frames added to bring the frame rate up to 60fps.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by delquad4x on topic 1080@60fps vs 1080@30fps

Posted 26 Jan 2016 23:54 #3
Thanks Derek.
This clears up a lot for me. I thought as much about the 60fps for slo-mo in production, so I will play with that.
You mention slowing down the 60fps to reach 30fps.
Is this done simply by cntrl/dragging the clip on the timeline? Or a setting to reduce the frame rates?

Thanks for your information. This will help me along in my quest to use the program more efficiently.

- Michael

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 1080@60fps vs 1080@30fps

Posted 27 Jan 2016 00:32 #4
I have a tutorial which shows all the different ways you can change the speed of any video.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/511-how-to-slow-down-go-pro-video
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.281 seconds