VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How do I go forward and backward in a video?

How do I go forward and backward in a video? was created by LivingFreeForever

Posted 02 Mar 2016 19:34 #1
Have you seen that Taco Bell commercial?...where the video goes fast forward and fast backward...back and forth motion really quickly? Do you know what I mean? I was wondering how to do that. Do you have a tutorial for that? Thank you. :) Melody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How do I go forward and backward in a video?

Posted 02 Mar 2016 19:38 #2
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Mar 2016 19:38 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivingFreeForever

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How do I go forward and backward in a video?

Posted 02 Mar 2016 19:42 #3
To reverse playback of a video, right-click on Timeline and select Reverse.

Now I need a cup of tea and a lie down, because I have had an extremely busy day today :side:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivingFreeForever

Replied by LivingFreeForever on topic How do I go forward and backward in a video?

Posted 03 Mar 2016 04:55 #4
I hope I didn't stress you out with all my questions. Get some rest. Melody :)

Replied by LivingFreeForever on topic How do I go forward and backward in a video?

Posted 03 Mar 2016 13:42 #5
Only when you have time and not stressed I still need help on how to forward and reverse and back to forward on a short segment of a video....just so I know how to do it. In the future I'd like to say video record my kids jumping into the pool but then reverse so they are popping out then back in.
I found the button you said but it reverses the whole video. Not sure if there is a way to do what I mentioned above. Again, don't go out of your way to explain. only when you have time. Thank you :)

Replied by Eagle Six on topic How do I go forward and backward in a video?

Posted 04 Mar 2016 02:44 #6
Hi Melody,

Good Question. Try this.....

Before you start, 'Save As' your project with a unique name, maybe something like 'Pool Day-Jump Scene-01' (this is very important......read to the end).

1. Move the cursor along the timeline to the point your kids are about to jump in the pool.
2. Press the 'S' key, this will split the video at the starting point of the jump scene.
3. Move the cursor along the timeline to the point your kids are in the pool.
4. Press the 'S' key, this will split the video at the end point of the jump scene.
5. Select the remainder of the video and move it to the right exposing a blank area. Create a blank area 3-4 times as long as the scene you just split.
6. Select the split scene and press 'Ctrl+C', this will copy this scene.
7. Move the cursor to the end of this split scene, press 'Ctrl+V' , this will paste a copy of the split scene, in the blank area you created when you moved the remainder of the video to the right.
8. Move the cursor to the end of this copy, press 'Ctrl+V' again, this will paste a 2nd copy of the split scene, again in the blank area. You should now have the split scene 3 times.
9. Select the rest of the video and move it back to the left so it is against the 3rd copy of the split scene.
10. You should have the start of your video, then the split scene (kids jump in the pool), then a copy of the split scene (kids jump in the pool), then the 2nd copy of the split scene (kids jump in the pool), then the remainder of your video, with no gaps between the splits, and no overlaps, just butted together. This will give you 3 duplicates of the jump scene.
11. At the 3 duplicate scenes (kids jump in the pool), select the center scene and do the reverse.
12. Your done!!

There are some other tricks you can experiment with, for example, stop motion as the kids are in the air, or making the reverse section slow motion, etc.

Before I start any special effect editing I like to 'Save As' my project with an incremented name, something like 'Pool Day-Jump Scene-01', and as I make various splits or reverses, 'Save As' again 'Pool Day-Jump Scene-02', etc, etc as I go along. That way if I make a mistake I can easily return to a point just previous to my error. Often saving, also gives me freedom to explore and experiment, without fear I will lose a lot of work I did before I started to goof around.

The rule I use for saving the project is, never make more changes than you are willing to recreate, before saving! Sometimes I save after every change, sometimes it is 5, 10, even 15 changes before I save as. 'Save As', is our number 1 friend (along with 'Undo'), especially when we are starting out with editing. Hope this helps.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:04 Mar 2016 02:49 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: ERicJ, LivingFreeForever

Posted 10 Mar 2016 11:51 #7
Thank you George. I printed out your directions. I got to practice a little the other day and it looked like it would work. I got tired so stopped half way through. I'll try it for my next video. It's one of the main reasons we are making YouTube videos...jsut to learn how to use our cameras, learn to edit, etc...we didn't know anything about anything lol UNTILwe found Movie Studio Zen on YouTube then of course now we are on this forum. It has been a life saver. We have soooo much to do. Each video we try to learn to do something new. Baby steps :)
Thank you again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.888 seconds