VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved New PC and disappointing rendering speeds with platinum 13

• Jape
  • Jape's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

New PC and disappointing rendering speeds with platinum 13 was created by Jape

Posted 12 Apr 2016 02:30 #1
Hi all. My first post here.
I've been using vegas products since Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0 and now currently with platinum 13.

I received my new pc last saturday and specs for that is.
CPU: i7-5930K 3.5Ghz
Graphic card: Asus GTX 980 ti 6Gb DDR5 strix
Motherboard: X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LPX Black,
DDR4 3000MHz
Hard drive: Samsung 950 pro 512Gb

So problem is that platinum 13 can't take all advantage from the system that it could. Or maby I have some settings wrong. That would be the first... hehe.

I have tried to render two .mts files (my sons soccer match) 52mins long and with my old msi gaming laptop it took about 3hrs to render that game to mp4 1920*1080 50p and with this new pc I get somewhat 1h40min rendering time.

Ok it's better but not good enough. I tested same files with premiere pro with same settings and it took only 40mins to render that soccer game.

Rendering settings what I used with platinum 13 was:
Template: internet hd 1080p
MainConcept AVC/AAC
Frame size 1080 (1920x1080)
Allow source to adjust frame size flag off
Profile: Main
Frame rate: 50.000000 PAL
Allow source to adjust frame rate flag is on
Field order: None
Pixel aspect ratio: 1.0000
Number of refrence frames: 2
Use deblocking filter flag is on
Constant bit rate (bps) 10,000,000
number of slices 4
encode mode: Render using cuda if available
enable progressive download flag is off

Audio tab:
Sample rate (Hz): 48.000
Bit rate (bps) I dropped this to 96.000

System tab:
Check GPU: Cuda is available

Project tab:
use project settings

Any ideas for better rendering speeds? Thanks.
Last Edit:24 May 2016 18:49 by Jape

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic New PC and disappointing rendering speeds with platinum 13

Posted 13 Apr 2016 02:10 #2
Hi Jape, welcome to the forums,

Looking at your information/specs, there may be a couple areas you could experiment with.

Note not related to Render Speed: If you are going to upload your video to an online provider such as YouTube, you may want to set the 'enable progressive download flag is off' to 'On' so those on a slower connection can start viewing the video without waiting for it completely load first (although I think YouTube will set this on when they reprocess your upload, I'm not sure about that, Youtube and other online viewers are constantly changing their standards). If you are only watching your mp4 on your computer or TV, it shouldn't make any difference.

Even though the system tab states 'Check GPU: Cuda is available', and you have encode mode set for 'encode mode: Render using cuda if available', this may be your bottleneck. You have a really good graphics card, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980. The problem is, Movie Studio doesn't recognize the Cuda in this card for processing MainConcept AVC/AAC! The only true way you are going to be able to determine the advantage/disadvantage of this card for Movie Studio is to perform some short test. I would select a 5 minute section of your soccer game film, which represents most of the 52 minutes, so I would include some of the FX that you may have used.

Render with the same specs as you list above to get your benchmark time, with both Movie Studio and Premiere.

Then first go to the timeline and check the speed your system is playing back at 'Best' preview quality setting (if the playback is at full speed, skip the rest of this paragraph). Then go to Options > Preferences > 'GPU acceleration of video processing:' if this is turned on to your GTX 980, turn it off, click 'Apply', click 'OK', then restart Movie Studio for this change to take effect. Now test the playback speed and see if there is a difference. If the playback speed is faster with it set off, leave it that way. If play back with the GTX 980 is the same or faster with it set 'On' then go back to preferences and set it back 'On' (most likely this is the case). What you are trying to do is get the best playback speed your CPU and GPU can provide at the 'Best' setting.

Now, render a test with all the same settings you used for the first benchmark test, with the exception of 'encode mode: Render using cuda if available'. For this test change it to 'Render using CPU only'.

Here is the basis for my statements above: Video Cards for Sony Vegas and Movie Studio

As you can see in that article, your GTX 980 Cuda is better suited for Premier, than Movie Studio.

There are two other adjustment you may want to test. One is to render 'Variable bit rate' as opposed to 'Constant bit rate'. Another is to change the 'Dynamic RAM preview max (MB):' from the recommended '200' down to '0' for rendering. I haven't personally compared render times doing this, but I have read a few others that have and they got better render times. I think this will have a lot to do with each system specifics. But it might be worth a test. Not related to render times, I once had a problem rendering a video that would lock at about 98%. I changed the dynamic ram preview max down to '0' and it completed the render!! There may have been something else that was causing the lockup, but that one adjustment got the job finished, and as yet, I haven't looked back.

At least you have cut your render times in half compared to your old laptop, which is probably directly related to your CPU, memory and maybe your hard drive. I think most of your bottleneck is in the GTX 980, so perhaps you will get better render times from an AMD card.

Just thought of a couple more. You could also run a render test selecting 'Render using OpenCL if available' although I doubt that will make any difference. On the other hand if your system has 'Intel Quick Sync Video', there is an option for that if you switch from the MainConcept codec format to Sony AVC codec format. Many have reported good success improving their render times using Intel Quick Sync.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Jape

• Jape
  • Jape's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Jape on topic New PC and disappointing rendering speeds with platinum 13

Posted 13 Apr 2016 18:21 #3
Thanks Eagle Six for covering reply.
Yes, it seems that my botleneck is my "crappy" new gtx980 ti. I didn't do that good job when I was selecting parts for my new pc to investigate if it were any good with platinum 13.

That link in the middle of your reply is quite interesting reading, thanks for that.
Tested now with rendering with cpu only and dynamic RAM preview to zero and preview quality Good quarter, other settings as they were and rendering was 72mins so that helped almost 30mins. Tweaking continues....
by Jape

Replied by Eagle Six on topic New PC and disappointing rendering speeds with platinum 13

Posted 14 Apr 2016 00:42 #4
Hi Jape,

Good hear that inormation helped and you are geting more improvements.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds