VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Preview window

Preview window was created by EXCUSME

Posted 27 Apr 2016 08:33 #1
When using pan/crop tool the video goes from vertical to horizontal BUT the sides are cropped off. Please help.
Last Edit:24 May 2016 18:54 by EXCUSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Peter on topic Preview window

Posted 27 Apr 2016 09:24 #2
Hi Excusme,
Do you mean the video image is rotated - or the image proportions have changed?

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, EXCUSME

Replied by EXCUSME on topic Preview window

Posted 27 Apr 2016 09:44 #3
Both; when I rotate it from vertical to horizontal the width stays the same as the width in verticle
by EXCUSME

Replied by Peter on topic Preview window

Posted 27 Apr 2016 10:57 #4
Hi again,
Going to need some more info.
If you can supply details about the set up you used when taking the video. What type of camera did you use? What was the frame size setting used?
That will be a help to try and sort out.

When you are previewing with pan and crop - look at the top left corner - does it say "default"? - if so, on the same narrow box but now on the right side there is a down pointing arrowhead - click on that and try (select) 16:9 widescreen if it is not already set on that frame size.

Also, again whilst in pan and crop - the dotted line (inside the circle) graphically indicates the frame size - by manipulating that by clicking (selecting) on the lines the shape can be changed.
Does that bring more of your image into view?

Peter
Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by vkmast on topic Preview window

Posted 27 Apr 2016 17:54 #5
As Peter says, a bit unclear. But try right-clicking on the Event Pan/Crop window and click "Match Output Aspect" to see if it does what you want.
Last Edit:27 Apr 2016 17:55 by vkmast

Posted 28 Apr 2016 00:19 #6
Thanks for you prompt reply, it is very much appreciated; I will get to it later today and let you know the results, again thank you
by EXCUSME

Posted 28 Apr 2016 03:48 #7
Video Samsung Galaxy 5s 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR, dual-video rec.,
I'm lost; I have version 13 the attachment here shows what happens when I try to rotate the video.
As Peter says, a bit unclear. But try right-clicking on the Event Pan/Crop window and click "Match Output Aspect" to see if it does what you want. "Match Output Aspect"Did not appear.
by EXCUSME

Posted 28 Apr 2016 03:57 #8
www.photographyatlarge.com/NOISE/i-SSbmBCD/A

The link to the screen shot illustrating what I am doing wrong.
by EXCUSME

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Preview window

Posted 28 Apr 2016 04:43 #9

EXCUSME wrote: Video Samsung Galaxy 5s 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR, dual-video rec.,
I'm lost; I have version 13 the attachment here shows what happens when I try to rotate the video.
As Peter says, a bit unclear. But try right-clicking on the Event Pan/Crop window and click "Match Output Aspect" to see if it does what you want. "Match Output Aspect"Did not appear.

EXCUSME,

It appears you have a couple things going on.

FIRST: Your phone video is 'portrait' (vertical) and it appears your project properties are normal 16:9 landscape. So, you will have black bars (pillarbox) on the sides. To stretch your portrait orientated video to fill the preview screen, here are two options (there are others)....

1. Open Pan & Crop, place the mouse pointed anywhere on the video image within the Pan & Crop window, right-click and a menu should appear with these options....
- Restore
- Center
- Flip Horizontal
- Flip Vertical
- Match Output Aspect
- Match Source Aspect

Left click on 'Match Output Aspect'. If this menu doesn't appear, there may be another problem.

- or -

2. Open Pan & Crop. Toward the top there is a 'Preset' option. It should list '(Default)'. Left click on the 'down arrow' and select '16:9 Widescreen TV aspect ratio'.

Using either of these methods should fill the preview screen with your portrait (vertical) video. All this does is zoom in on your video so the sides are full screen, at the cost of resolution, from the zooming effect.

SECOND: It appears you have rotated the video image about 45 degrees. After filling the preview screen from either option 1 or 2 above.......if you want to remove all the black areas in the preview (which should now be in the corners), you will have to zoom in an additional amount. In the Pan & Crop window, grab any corner of your video image and move towards the center, which will zoom in, to the point all the black corners have been removed from the preview. The dashed lines represent what will be seen in the preview. If any of the dashed lines are outside of your video (in the Pan & Drop window) that area will appear black in the preview window.

Hope this might help and not made things worse!

If you like, I can provide some screen shots.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, vkmast, EXCUSME

Replied by vkmast on topic Preview window

Posted 28 Apr 2016 04:49 #10
Excusme,
just to clarify your saying "Match Output Aspect"Did not appear. Do you not see this if you RC on Pan/Crop?

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50473571/matchoutputaspect.png

MSP 13 online Help (F1):
"You can also right-click in the Pan/Crop plug-in to display a shortcut menu that will allow you to quickly adjust the selection box:
---
Match Output Aspect : Sets the x,y ratio to match your project properties."

edit: George was quicker. Again :) At least I got a screen shot first ;)
And I think Peter suggested option 2. above as well.
Last Edit:28 Apr 2016 05:08 by vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.883 seconds