VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved What template to use for Handbrake final render

• dmac1
  • dmac1's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

What template to use for Handbrake final render was created by dmac1

Posted 27 Apr 2016 13:51 #1
Short version...does anyone know how to use Handbrake to do a final render of a vid initially rendered by MovieStudio? I have MS Platinum 13 in case it matters.

To date, I've been rendering with MS 13 and uploading to YouTube but the quality is less than what I'd like. Trying to see if using Handbrake will improve the results. Generally, the vids look really good until YT gets ahold of em. And yeah, I know they recode and degrade them...still, I'd like to improve if possible. These are 1080 60p vids with lots of movement because it is helmet cam video, so I need max quality to eliminate as much blurring of details as possible.

I've downloaded Handbrake and go it to render a vid that I rendered via MS13 , but really it was about the same as before. An old YouTube I found says download an Avid CODEC, but I don't see how to create a new template so I could use it, presuming I downloaded the right thing. The same YouTube talks about doing a Render As in Vegas and the guy talks about rendering it as DNxHD (Avid CODEC) but I don't see how to do anything other than use the templates presented in Movie Studio. I can modify the templates, but how do I incorporate Avid CODEC...or do I need to?

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Last Edit:24 May 2016 18:53 by dmac1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic What template to use for Handbrake final render

Posted 01 May 2016 01:28 #2
Hi dmac1,

Welcome to the forums....

If you have downloaded and installed the Avid DNxHD codec, you are set to use it, although you may not be looking in the correct location. (I'm assuming you have Quicktime 7 installed).

Go to Make Movie > Save it to my hard drive > Advanced options. Then select the Quick Time 7 from the left list (Formats), and the 3 Mbps Video from the right list (Template). Then select Customize Template. From the Customize Setting - Quick Time 7 window, In 'Video Format:' there are various codecs available. Select the 'Avid DNxHD Codec'. There is also a 'Configure' button, to select Color Levels 709, Alpha None, and Resolution options. Select the resolution best suited/matching your project/source video (see note below).

If you haven't already, you may want to read this How-To by John Rofrano: John Rofrano Avid DNxHD Template , it should work about the same in Movie Studio as in Vegas.

Also, here is a How-To video explaining some methods to render for YouTube: A Better Method

DNxHD Codec Note: There isn't a 1080-60p codec in the Avid DNxHD codec list. There is a 720-60p (59.94). You may be able to select the 720-59.94p resolution and then change the Frame Size: resolution in the template to High Definition 1920x1080, and the frame rate to 59.940. I can't test this because I don't have any 1080-60p source. If it renders, you can then be the judge if this is any better on YouTube.

Another consideration, you can render to a higher bit rate than normal, and the reprocessing that YouTube performs, may not degrade your video as bad as you are currently experiencing. This option may work, may not, but it will make for a larger file to upload.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds