VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved "Help" error

• tyee
  • tyee's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

"Help" error was created by tyee

Posted 25 May 2016 05:03 #1
Help Error. When I select "help" on the menu bar, I get the following response:

"XML page cannot be displayed..."

followed by the usual computer-speak gibberish that means noting to a normal person.

Suspecting my Movie Studio 13 program had been visited by gremlins, I completely
scrubbed the program
from computer and did a FRESH re-install, yesterday.

Nothing changed. Same error message.

What IS the problem, and HOW can it be fixed?

Thanks!

• Movie Studio 13 Platinum
• Dell T3400 Workstation
• Win 7 (32 bit)
• Intel Dual Core E4600 @2.40 (GHz Ver. 362.56)
• 4.0 GB RAM (limit for 32-bit)
• Graphic: Nvidia Quadro 600 (96 CUDA cores)
• Burner: Blu-Ray LG WH16NS40 (4 MB buffer)
Last Edit:10 Jun 2016 02:06 by tyee
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic "Help" error

Posted 25 May 2016 12:34 #2
Hi Tyee

I have never seen this error before, nor has anyone else ever reported this problem.
My guess is that the problem has nothing to do with Movie Studio, but is being caused by something else on your computer. Probably a Microsoft program that Movie Studio needs to display the help files.

This is a big guess, but I think Internet Explorer may be the problem.
Read this help article and clean the cache for your web browser.
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/312808

Does this fix this problem ?

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• tyee
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by tyee on topic "Help" error

Posted 25 May 2016 18:47 #3
Apparently the error has nothing to do with Explorer. The error message references truncated URLs which are not accessible:

The operation completed successfully. Error processing resource 'mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Sony\Shared%20Plug-Ins\He...

<html xmlns:MadCap=" www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd " MadCap:conditions="Primary.MovieStudio" MadCap:tocP..

I looked up "MadCap" and it is way beyond my capabilities.
by tyee

• tyee
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 25 May 2016 18:49 #4
In addition, I use FoxFire, not Explorer.
by tyee

Replied by vkmast on topic "Help" error

Posted 25 May 2016 19:00 #5
Until you find a solution, try using
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/webhelp/moviestudioplatinum/13/enu/index.htm

I assume the Program Files(x86) > Sony > Shared Plug-Ins > Help Files / MovieStudio130.chm path will not work for you either.
If it does, create a shortcut for your Desktop.

And you should at least try the reset.
To reset the program do this:
Turn Movie Studio Off.
Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT keys at the same time AND ALSO AT THE SAME TIME double click program icon on Desktop to Boot program.
Window will pop up.
Select Delete Cache and Yes.
This will restore program to Factory Default Settings.
by vkmast

Replied by DoctorZen on topic "Help" error

Posted 25 May 2016 19:30 #6

tyee wrote: Apparently the error has nothing to do with Explorer. The error message references truncated URLs which are not accessible:

I do realize that your error message says nothing about Internet Explorer, however there is a reason why I said what I said.
Now I can't be 100% about this, however I think that Movie Studio uses a function of Internet Explorer to display the pop out window that contains the info that won't display properly. This is why I suggested you clean the IE cache. I maybe completely wrong, however if it was myself I would definitely at least try and delete ALL the HISTORY from all your web browsers, as a process of elimination.

I think you need to contact Sony Creative Software and see if they have any ideas, however when you do so, make sure to explain clearly and simply what is happening. Your problem is not with HELP in the top menu, it is actually Contents & Index within Help.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 May 2016 19:32 by DoctorZen

• tyee
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 26 May 2016 04:31 #7
As I stated, I did a complete REINSTALL of the program, and I start each session deleting the caches (SHIFT+CTL>) The issue is connected to Madcap + Sony.

ALL Caches have been cleared both in IE11 and FireFox and computer using CClean. I can't get any cleaner!
Last Edit:26 May 2016 04:34 by tyee

Replied by vkmast on topic "Help" error

Posted 26 May 2016 04:53 #8
From www.howtogeek.com/194563/how-to-reset-a-windows-program-to-its-default-settings/
"If a program isn’t working right, just reinstalling it won’t necessarily fix it. You may need to reset the program to its default settings."

Doctor Zen has recommended resetting in many a thread to solve a problem and for a good reason.
Uninstalling and reinstalling still keeps pretty much the old settings.
I don't guarantee that it will help with your particular issue, but it takes less than a minute to find out. And it's free.
by vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds