VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Settings to start a project and settings to render a project

Hello,

My name is Sarah, and i'm new to this forum. Hopefully i can get some help with my uncertainty. I'm not sure what settings to use to start a project, and also which render settings to use once i'm done. My goal, is to put some youtube videos up of me and my music. I'm working with mov. and avi. files, not sure if i should convert them (which i can) to a easier format to use.

Any tips on how to start my project and what render settings to use to finish it??

Much apreciated,
Sarah
Last Edit:10 Jun 2016 02:06 by steureka89

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Settings to start a project and settings to render a project

Posted 01 Jun 2016 13:40 #2
Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.

Which exact program and version are you using ?
I have an excellent beginners guide tutorial for Movie Studio Platinum 13, that should answer most of your questions. Please watch this first.
Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

There is also a detailed tutorial that shows how to render/export your videos, ready for YouTube.
How to Render 1080p HD Video in Movie Studio Platinum 13

.mov and .avi video files can be a problem in Movie Studio.
.mov is an Apple format and .avi is a generic file format.

If you have a lot (more than 20) of .mov videos to add to the same project, you may experience some problems. If it is not that many, it should be OK.
If you experience any problems, you will need to convert your videos into something like .mp4 before you try to import.

Start small and do some tests before you begin a large project, then you won't get frustrated.
Don't hesitate to ask more questions when you need some extra help.

Regards
Derek (Dr Zen)
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by steureka89 on topic Settings to start a project and settings to render a project

Posted 02 Jun 2016 07:39 #3
Thanks so much for the quick reply Derek...

I'm using Movie Studio Platinum 13. I went to the tutorial, How to Render 1080p HD Video in Movie Studio Platinum 13. I think i might need to restore the settings on Movie Studio because when i go to New Project, and go to Match Media Settings, it says the video is 640 x 480. Is the "Choose Media" browse the media i will be using in my project??

Ugh... i think i might need to restore the program to it's original settings or something... I'm going to try to convert the file to an .mp4 and then try to work with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by Peter on topic Settings to start a project and settings to render a project

Posted 02 Jun 2016 10:45 #4
Hi Sarah,

1. If you decide to convert your video file - then make sure you keep the original file unchanged and have the new converted file as a copy of that original file. This usually happens automatically - but bear it in mind!

2. ..."Is the "Choose Media" browse the media I will be using in my project? - by clicking on "match media settings", followed by Choosing media means selecting the material that you wish to work upon - it will then be brought into your project and that project will be defined by those parameters.
Therefore the project will be working with the frame rate, image size etc. which are identical to the material you brought into the project.

3. When deciding what format you want your final result to be rendered to - that depends on several criteria.
The final quality you wish for, the dimensions of the final video (usually in pixels), any constraints on file size, speed of download to You tube etc.

If you are starting out with a video clip that is not HD - then there is nothing to gain by rendering to a format created for HD. You cannot create anything better that what is contained in the original video file.
Video dimensions being the same - usually best to remain with the original format ratio.

When I started this pastime - the whole subject was totally confusing and as usual asking the "what's best?" resulted in an answer of "depends".

Derek's tutorials indicate the basic safe guidelines and are "the best generic" recipes for the usual situations.
Use them, follow to the letter and look at your results. If you are happy - case closed, one happy camper.

After many small, usually straight forward projects, then you will begin to see what the software generates and become familiar with the work procedures and terms used.
Then (from my point of view) - if you wish change things by either customising or changing other parameters - observe the effect(s).
By doing that (gradually) - your experience will grow in a manner that is not chaotic and bewildering.
You will no doubt become more adventurous - and start creating pleasing results (whilst coming across combinations that are not what you expected or hoped for - those efforts are scrapped and put down in the learning compartment.

Enjoy your journey

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.749 seconds