VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Upgrading from Movie Studio Platinum 13 to Vegas Pro 13 (installation question)

• MistyRicardo
  • MistyRicardo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Misty Ricardo's Curry Kitchen
  • Thank you received: 8
I've had a good look on the forum / tutorials for an answer to my query, which is as follows...

I'm seriously thinking about spending $200 on the current Magix offer of buying Vegas Pro 13 (+14), to replace my MSP 13 Suite.
If I do so...

1) Can Vegas Pro be installed on my PC in parallel to MSP13, or does it replace (or part replace) the existing installation ?
2) Same question but for the Add Ons.. will I receive new serial numbers for the add ons I already own as part of MSP13 Suite, requiring a parallel install ?
3) Can Vegas Move Studio open projects saved in the MSP13 .vf format, retaining all functionality.
4) Are there any known issues installing Vegas on a PC with MSP13 (+Suite) already installed ?
5) If I purchase Vegas, am I correct in assuming my MSP13 Suite license is completely separate, and I would be entitled to install it on another PC ?

I apologise if any of my questions are answered already in part elsewhere here on MSZ. I have had a thorough search though.

Kind Regards,

MRCK
Misty Ricardo's Curry Kitchen
www.youtube.com/c/MistyRicardo
Last Edit:26 Aug 2016 12:18 by MistyRicardo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi MRCK,

I'll take a stab at these, although Dr. Zen will have more specifics.....

1) Can Vegas Pro be installed on my PC in parallel to MSP13.......Yes, I install MSP13 along with MSP12, then installed Vegas Pro 13 along with MSP12 and 13.

2) Same question but for the Add Ons.. will I receive new serial numbers for the add ons I already own as part of MSP13 Suite, requiring a parallel install......Vegas Pro 13 will recognize things like any custom templates and codec you may have installed. My purchased of Vegas Pro 13 I think included some Izotope Nectar Elements add-on's and it may have recognized some of the add-on's I had in MSP13, but not all, maybe not any (I'm switching computers at this time and don't have access to compare). This is where Derek's knowledge is far better than mine.

3) Can Vegas Move Studio open projects saved in the MSP13 .vf format, retaining all functionality........Vegas Pro 13 can open your Movie Studio Platinum projects, but not the other way around. Complete functionality will depend on any add-on's you may have used in MSP13. Those add-on's would have to be included in your Vegas install, other Vegas doesn't know what to do. So, you should have full functionality with the exception of add-on effects which may not be present in your Vegas, unless you add them.

4) Are there any known issues installing Vegas on a PC with MSP13 (+Suite) already installed.......There weren't any issues I had running Vegas Pro 13 along side MSP13 Suite.

5) If I purchase Vegas, am I correct in assuming my MSP13 Suite license is completely separate, and I would be entitled to install it on another PC......Yes
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, MistyRicardo

• MistyRicardo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
Thanks. I have installed Vegas Pro 13 alongside Movie Studio Platinum SUITE 13 and so far so good, with one or two exceptions:

The NewBlue Starter pack transitions (3d Page Turn, 3d Wiggle, Dot Matrix, Halo, Smear) have reverted to trial with watermark. I raised a support ticket with NewBlue who have responded as follows:
---
Richard, it is correct that the products bundled in Movie Studio will get a watermark in Vegas Pro 13 because those products were not bundled in Vegas Pro 13. There is no way to activate the MSPPS in Vegas Pro.

NewBlueFX
---

Is this correct ? It's a shame because I've used (and would like to continue to use) those 5 effects in many projects using Vegas Pro.

Also, on a side note, can anyone tell me exactly which extra transitions are supplied with Vegas Pro 13 over MSP13 ?

Yes this is normal behaviour.
Bonus products bundled with Movie Studio Suite versions, will only work/activate inside of the Movie Studio environment.

There are no extra transitions supplied with Vegas Pro 13.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:26 Aug 2016 18:53 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: MistyRicardo

• MistyRicardo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
Thanks.

I forgot to mention there's another issue with NewBlue Titler EX (and Pro)

I already have Titler EX (as part of MSP Suite)
My understanding is that Titler PRO comes with Vegas.
Two issues:
1) In Vegas, Titler PRO is not showing in the Generated Media list, only Titler EX is.
2) Whenever I try to add or edit using Titler EX (in Vegas Pro), the program crashes.

If I can only have one of EX or PRO installed on a single PC, then how do I go about deinstalling EX and setting up PRO.

Thanks in advance.
Last Edit:26 Aug 2016 19:01 by MistyRicardo

It's been so long since I bought Vegas Pro 13, I can't remember exactly what came with it. However, I am pretty sure Titler Pro 1.0 does not come packaged with Vegas Pro 13. There is no mention of Titler Pro on the sales page here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/#productMenu

Titler Pro 1.0 did come with Vegas Pro 12, but in version 13 you get FXHome Effects, NewBlueFX Video Essentials VI & iZotope Nectar Elements as the bonus features. It's always a different mix with each version they release.

Titler EX only works in Movie Studio Platinum - it will not work in Vegas Pro - this has always been the case.

There are so many different versions and build versions of Titler EX and Titler Pro now, it can make your head spin.
When I use to own just Titler EX and Titler Pro 1.0, I could never have them installed at the same time, otherwise all my Sony programs would crash.
I use Titler Pro 3 now and this does allow Titler EX to still work in Movie Studio, but not in any version of Vegas Pro.

If you buy Titler Pro 3 or 4, these will definitely work in all versions of Movie Studio Platinum and Vegas Pro, with no problems.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:26 Aug 2016 19:34 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast, MistyRicardo

DoctorZen wrote: Titler EX only works in Movie Studio Platinum - it will not work in Vegas Pro - this has always been the case.
There are so many different versions and build versions of Titler EX and Titler Pro now, it can make your head spin.
When I use to own just Titler EX and Titler Pro 1.0, I could never have them installed at the same time, otherwise all my Sony programs would crash.

This should have been a Sticky, always.

Regards,
vkmast with a spinning head

And if you're now only trialling Vegas Pro 13, I'd recommend you use most of your 30-day trial (still with a watermark, I'd suspect) and do not buy it until MAGIX gets their own registration procedure working.
Last Edit:26 Aug 2016 22:56 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: MistyRicardo

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.845 seconds