VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Extraction of Hi Res Photo from Panasonic 4K Photo mode video.

Many Panasonic cameras now have '4K Photo' mode – a 25 or 30fps video mode that allows extraction of any frame as an 8MB photo. The new GH5 will have a 6K mode which will be 18MB photo. This is easy 'in camera' but a 'frame grab' in Vegas Pro 13 gives a 2MB image. How do you get the full 8MB image from the timeline in Vegas?
Last Edit:17 Feb 2017 23:06 by cbdPhil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Extraction of Hi Res Photo from Panasonic 4K Photo mode video.

Posted 05 Feb 2017 19:00 #2
Hi cbdPhil

To create the maximum size and quality snapshot with Vegas Pro, you must set the Preview Window = Best (Full).
I also recommend that you save the snapshot as a .png file and not .jpeg
When I use those settings in Vegas Pro, I get a 5 MB file size at 4K frame resolution of 3840x2160

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:05 Feb 2017 19:00 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by cbdPhil on topic Extraction of Hi Res Photo from Panasonic 4K Photo mode video.

Posted 13 Feb 2017 00:49 #3
Thanks Derek, that works well!
Last Edit:13 Feb 2017 11:38 by cbdPhil
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Derek,
Just curious is all, but why *.png over *.jpg ?
Thanks for the tip about the quality setting for the preview window. I didn't realize that. :-(
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Extraction of Hi Res Photo from Panasonic 4K Photo mode video.

Posted 13 Feb 2017 11:42 #5

Just curious is all, but why *.png over *.jpg ?

.png generally produces a much sharper image - especially if the snapshot contains any Text media.
.jpg may show compression artefacts around geometric shapes/patterns - example bricks in wall, leaves in trees, wire fence, edge of text.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds