VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 14 preview stuttering/lagging issue.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Vegas Pro 14 preview stuttering/lagging issue.

Posted 07 Jun 2017 00:57 #11
Hi Truffles,

Thank You for the additional information. If you can take this same project and run it in your old computer setup without any stuttering when previewing the FX areas, and your current computer is more powerful than your old, there must obviously be something different in your setup which you have not been able to determine, therefore you have asked the question. This is why offering as much information about your system and projects are so important for others to determine what that difference is and make whatever changes that may help improve your preview.

One thing I would try, is to set your pixel format to '8 bit' and see how the preview improves. And, by the way, which 32 bit floating point setting are you using? 32 bit floating is much more tasking than 8 bit, especially when color grading or color correction is added. A common workflow is to use 32 bit when applying the color FX, then turn it off to preview other FX's which require a smooth preview to determine the results of the FX's applied, other than the color, then turn it back on before rendering.

Next I would check to assure that your Dynamic RAM preview (in preferences) is set to the default of '200'

Then turn off GPU acceleration of video processing (in preferences), requires a restart of the program, and see if that makes a difference in the stuttering of your preview.

Although you haven't said what version of Vegas Pro, you did mention 'Magix' which would imply you are using version 14. Go to 'Help', the 'About' and the version and build should be listed there.

Have you made any OS or software updates?
Have there been any driver updates?
Can you use MediaInfo (in text mode) to upload a screen shot of your source media?
Can you upload a screen shot of your Project Settings?
Can you upload a screen shot of your timeline where you have added effect?
Have you layered effects, as in one over the other?
Are all the other programs you run on this computer running normally?
Do you have any programs running in the background?
What version and build of Vegas Pro?

BTW: Most members, when they post a question, usually it is just for the information, to learn a skill/process, or because they have a problem and they are stuck. I think your question falls in that "they have a problem and they are stuck" category. When we are stuck, it means we do not know the solution and ask for the help of others. It is neither respectful or conducive to get an answer when you reference an answer as "calling BS". No one here spends their time posting an answer of 'BS'. It is fair to disagree with information in another post, but a bit on the raw and disrespectful side to call BS on a post. Just my opinion, no offense intended.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Truffleshuffle03 on topic Vegas Pro 14 preview stuttering/lagging issue.

Posted 07 Jun 2017 01:08 #12
The only real other change is the graphics card which is a GTX 1050 and the 15-7400 3.00 GHz. alot with the 128 SSD for booting and the 3 t hard drive main hard drive. My older computer was a Dell that I upgraded had a GTX 660 installed day q when I bought it and then I had upgraded to a GTX 950 and added a 1t extra hard drive. If it does not lag why should this one lag right out of the box? I still have the old PC and mainly use it for internet stuff and what not but I am waiting for a new power supply or I would be using it to do my editing since It does not lag. I have done some reading and a lot of people who are seeming to have the same issue as I and were saying Magix does not support anything past the 900 series for GTX and I am starting to think that maybe the issue here that I am having. Also, my BS comment was pointing out how he said the issue was because my CPU and PCU were the low end yet I don't have a problem with the program using it on even lower end CPU and PCU. I might should have used a better word than BS to get my point across though.
Edit
Dynamic RAM preview (in preferences) is set to the default of '200'

GPU acceleration of video processing (in preferences), is off.
The only time it lags is when using any form of color correction only I can add any thing else and even stack FX as long as I don't color correct anything
Last Edit:07 Jun 2017 01:23 by Truffleshuffle03

Posted 07 Jun 2017 01:37 #13
Now that you have provided additional information, it appears your question has changed from the very common "why does my new computer" to "why does my new computer....compared to my old computer". This is a similar question, but it wasn't, at least for me, specific to you comparing the results of old vs new. In this case, the specs of your old computer (Dell is not a spec) compared to those of your new may be helpful to those members who have experience in the differences between hardware.

BTW, Derek referenced CPU/GPU, which is more in line with what you have indicated as possibly the problem, not CPU/PSU as you reference in the preceding post. For clarification, it is not only Magix version 14 that has issues with using certain GTX gpu's, it has been ongoing before Magix bought the program from Sony.

Another reason for me asking so many questions, in addition to those specific answers as to how that would effect a solution, is because in my case.......I'm not using Windows 10, I'm not using Magix 14, I don't doing gaming videos, and I don't have the same computer CPU/GPU. So my suggestions, need to fall into a category that would not be effected by those differences. Therefore my suggestions references 32 bit floating vs 8 bit, Dynamic RAM and GPU on/off would be effective on any system.

Another suggestion (I know this doesn't have anything to do with your comparison of old system vs new system) would be your workflow of applying color grading/color correction first. I prefer to perform editing first, cuts, transitions, special effect, etc., then apply color changes, then make the final overall fine adjustments before rendering. This workflow may be a way to overcome the stuttering ills until you get a replacement power supply for your old computer and can go back to it. Just a thought.
Best Regards......George

Posted 07 Jun 2017 01:42 #14

The only time it lags is when using any form of color correction only I can add any thing else and even stack FX as long as I don't color correct anything

Have you switched from 32 bit floating point to 8 bit? Did that make a difference in the preview smoothness?
Best Regards......George

Replied by Truffleshuffle03 on topic Vegas Pro 14 preview stuttering/lagging issue.

Posted 07 Jun 2017 01:42 #15
I have had sony vegas since 2011 and never run into this problem until now. I have decided the issue is that it does not support higher graphics cards past the 900 series. It only lags when using color correction and no other video fx no matter what settings I use. I am going to just think it will always do this because it does not support higher graphics cards. I will just use my older PC to do all my editing since it does not have this problem at all. this issue is something they need to work on
Last Edit:07 Jun 2017 01:43 by Truffleshuffle03

Posted 07 Jun 2017 01:44 #16
I have tried all of that. It doses this no matter what settings is set. I am just going to chalk it up to no support with the GTX graphics cards higher than the 900 series

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 14 preview stuttering/lagging issue.

Posted 07 Jun 2017 15:01 #17
Applying Colour Correction as your first step is where the problem is (I am not saying this to be smart, quite the opposite).

Colour Correction is normally the last step in any Video Editing workflow, not the first, because it is going to cause the exact problems you are experiencing.
In all my years of editing video, I have never applied Colour Correction first.
There is nothing wrong in doing that if that is what you want to do, but it will come with a cost, which you have now discovered.

It is not the difficult to apply Colour Correction to multiple clips at once.

1. If the project contains many different scenes with different lighting conditions, you may want to first add some general Markers or Regions to signify the different sections that will require different Colour Correction profiles.
Press M for Marker and R for Region

2. Colour Correct your first clip in each region. If you have a chain of FX, that is OK.

3. Right-click the Colour Corrected clip and select Copy.

4. Now highlight the next group/region of video segments that you want the same FX added to.

5. Right-click and select Paste Event Attributes

6. Repeat process for next regions.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:07 Jun 2017 15:01 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.857 seconds