Solved Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

• Thank you received: 1

Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization was created by DClark

I have a lot of handheld video that suffers from a lot of shake. What is the best version of Vegas to stabilize the frames so I get steady imagery? How good is it? Do I need to get Vegas Pro or is this capability available with Studio?
29 Jun 2018 15:09 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 221

Replied by ericlnz on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

A difficult question. Whilst Pro and VMS have inbuilt stabilisation it is common for users to prefer that which is available in plugins. But they vary from Pro/VMS version to version and don't always work in later versions. I'll leave others with more experience to suggest which is the best stabiliser.

Personally I find the stabiliser that comes with VMS15 adequate for my needs. But the downside of them all is they crop your image which degrades it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DClark
29 Jun 2018 18:08 #2

• Thank you received: 1352

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum only come with a basic video stabilizer - apparently Vegas uses one of the much older generation Mercalli stabilizers.
If your video needs light stabilization, it should work OK in Vegas.

However, if your videos are in really bad shape, you need to invest in a 3rd party image stabilizer called Mercalli v4.
Mercalli v4 is considered the No.1 video stabilizer.

There is the Stand Alone (SAL) version (this is the version I own and it is great!)
With this version, you would stabilize your videos first and then import the new "fixed" versions into Vegas.
www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V4-SAL--29795,l-us.html

There is also the plugin version which works inside of Vegas.
And finally, there is the Suite version which comes with everything.
www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V4-Plugins-for-Vegas-29796,l-us.html

ProDad often has sales throughout the year.
When Mercalli is on sale, the discount is normally quite significant!
Sign-up to their newsletter, and then you will be notified when it is on sale.
www.prodad.com/Subscribe-Newsletter-29757,l-us.html

Regards
Derek

Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DClark, Eagle Six, ericlnz
29 Jun 2018 18:32 #3
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 103

Replied by Richard Jones on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

Yes, ProDad Mercalli is excellent. I converted some old cine film to AVI but there had been a problem with the sockets which caused a massive amount of judder bur Mercalli dealt with this extreme example superbly well. The manual (downloadable) is an excellent guide as to how to deal with different circumstances.

Richard
The following user(s) said Thank You: DClark, Eagle Six
29 Jun 2018 20:15 #4

• Thank you received: 567

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

Hi dclark,

ProDAD makes the Mercalli stabilizer and other similar products. They offer a free download trial of all their products, so you can try them on your source media and compare them. There are also many tutorials along with Dr. Zens tutorials to help you get started.
Best Regards......George
29 Jun 2018 23:24 #5

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by DClark on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

Excellent response! I am going to look at these options. I hope the Mercalli has a sale soon.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six
29 Jun 2018 23:32 #6

• Thank you received: 567

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Which version of Vegas has the best image stabilization

As I was checking ProDad's website for any sales (none found at this time), I tripped over this, the download version from B&H...... www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?InitialSearch=yes&N=0&Ntt=Mercalli+V4+Sal&c3api=4680%2C265049033969%2Cmercalli+v4+sal%2Ce&gclid=CjwKCAjwsdfZBRAkEiwAh2z65jkTQkt93f_xibTFwW6vKvlhhdqPd6r8Mv6u_0ems4AV2Jpstk9nDBoCTK4QAvD_BwE

I'm not sure if that includes the CMOS correction. I would call B&H to confirm before purchasing to make sure it is the full package from ProDad that they retail for $299.
Best Regards......George
30 Jun 2018 00:22 #7

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2020 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.