VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering was created by Michel

Posted 04 Feb 2019 07:03 #1
Hi,

Using Vegas Pro 16. I'm working on a simple project with a lot of pictures and a few .mp4 clips from a cell. phone. I have installed five tracks or if you prefer five timelines. The pictures or ordinary .jpg's. The app. has been crashing 7 times in the last hour. I'm simply verifying that all the photos on the timeline are ok and while it's doing that it will continue scrolling but the last picture will appear frozen in the preview pane. The ''not responding'' red X button appears on the top right of the screen and after reopening Vegas, I notice that I have an extra track on the third row just before the video track and this happens on every crash???

Also, I must reset auto ripple after each crash because the setting that I give it is not saved, the same for the explorer tab that I must reopen to where I was before the crash.

Help would be appreciated...thanks.

Michel
Last Edit:04 Feb 2019 08:12 by Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 08:27 #2
Whenever Vegas crashes, any settings that were changed during that session will not be saved permanently.

After Vegas crashes, you need to re-open the project you were working on immediately and then change any settings that were not saved.
BEFORE you try and render again, make sure to SAVE AS - preferably Save As to a slightly different file name like my-project_v102.veg
If Vegas crashes again, any settings you changed should remain exactly were you left them.

If a project keeps crashing at the exact same point in the project, that is telling you that something in the project at that exact point is the cause of the problem.
The most common cause of crashes are Video FX that have been added.
If a particular Video effect has been pushed too far, it can cause a memory overload and crash.

Example of a Video effect that can cause crash: Applying Sharpening and pushing the amount of sharpening way too far.

Check to see if you have accidentally added an extra Video FX in a chain by mistake.
I see people doing this type of thing all the time.
Remove Video FX and crashes stop.

I also advise to re-boot your computer if rendering keeps crashing.

Also make sure to NOT have Automatically open last saved project turned ON.

Extra Tracks and/or Media appearing from nowhere, normally means you left Auto Ripple turned ON by mistake and did something like Copy & Paste.
Auto-Ripple should be turned OFF when not in use, otherwise it can create a massive mess on the timeline.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 08:29 #3
Make sure you have the latest build version for Vegas Pro 16 installed!
Latest build version is #361, update 4.

You can download from here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/609-vegas-pro-16-update-history
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 08:31 #4
Hi Michel,

Some suggestion you may have already tried.....Turn 'Off' 'GPU acceleration of video processing:' Option > Preferences > Video tab (Apply, then restart Vegas). Perform a full reset, while holding down 'Ctrl+Shift' keys double left click on the Vegas Pro desktop icon, check the box 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'.

Additional information may help......using the free application 'Mediainfo' first select the 'View' tab and select 'Text' mode, then the 'File' tab to find your source media (from your phone). Post a screenshot of the specs reported. Most likely this video will be in variable frame rate. Vegas prefers constant frame rate, so you may have better results using this phone camera source media if you first convert it either in Vegas Pro or Handbrake or some other video converter. If you do not have Mediainfo you can download from here: mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

A screenshot of your Projects Properties and Render Format Template would also be helpful.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 08:33 #5
Hi Derek,

I think I found the culprit...I stop crashing since I applied that correction close to an hour ago. I put my GPU accelerator at OFF and it seems to work...I will let you know in an hour or two if there were any changes to this correction...thanks for the info Derek.

Michel
by Michel

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 10:16 #6
Thanks for your input George,

Seems like you and I provided the same answer within 2 minutes from one another. Like I wrote in my comment, looks like the GPU issue does have an impact on Vegas Pro 16 since Vegas stopped crashing as soon as I deactivated it.

Works like new...it is new!!

Michel
by Michel

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Vegas Pro 16 crashing while rendering

Posted 04 Feb 2019 11:20 #7

Michel wrote: Thanks for your input George,
Seems like you and I provided the same answer within 2 minutes from one another. Like I wrote in my comment, looks like the GPU issue does have an impact on Vegas Pro 16 since Vegas stopped crashing as soon as I deactivated it.
Michel

Yea, sometimes things are squirrely between systems, as I don't need to disable GPU acceleration...different boxes and parts from within!!!
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:04 Feb 2019 16:11 by Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds