Question Photos to include in a video Project

• Thank you received: 3

Photos to include in a video Project was created by carterscj

Hello,

I use Vegas Pro 15.0 (Build 311).

I recorded an event, along with that I took some photos. With my digital video recording, I want to include about 20 photos. The photos were taken using my Sony DSLR camera (plan to use L cuts without cutting out any of the events audio). Each photo is approximately 4000x6000 pixels or 3MB. I think adding 20 3MB photos might make my rendered to DVDs project too large. If so, I would have to cut out photos and parts of the event to save space, so I used a utility to reduce the file size of my photos but every photo in the project now looks washed out or bad quality compared to the video.

Do I need to reduce the photos before adding them to the timeline or will Vegas take care of the file sizing for me?

Is 3MB per photo a normal file size for a video project that I plan to burn to DVD?

FYI -I plan to make about 50 copies of the video for folks that have asked.

Thanks.

Carter
23 Mar 2019 04:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 567

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Photos to include in a video Project

Hi Carter

I normally process my photo stills using Affinity, PhotoShop, or PaintShop, crop them to the same screen size proportions, scale them down to about twice the size of the Vegas Pro project resolution, make any color correction, etc., before adding them to my project and save them as a png formatted file. If you save in the .png format you should not see a huge difference in quality within Vegas.

They will be rendered out at your Project Settings, so the files size of your photos will not effect the files size of your render. What utility and what settings are you using on your photos to prepare them for your Vegas project?
Best Regards......George
23 Mar 2019 04:37 #2

Replied by carterscj on topic Photos to include in a video Project

Hi George,

I've done a few things wrong, I see.

I took about 80 photos at this event but planned to use about 20 throughout the Vegas project. To save time, I used Faststone's Photo Resizer to resize my photos and went with a 60% and 75% of the original file size setting without adjusting any of the photo dimensions. The utility allowed me to resize all of photos and save them to another folder without affecting my originals in a single click. The files were also saved as .jpg instead of .png. Easy is not always best.

I use both Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop to edit photos, graphics, etc. So, I will switch to Photoshop to scale them to the Vegas project's resolution size and will save my photos as .png files instead of .jpg.

I am not familiar with Affinity so I learned something else new today (well, it's night time here in San Francisco as I write this).

Thank you for the quick response and information.

Carter
23 Mar 2019 14:33 #3

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Photos to include in a video Project

Moderator hat on here:
I have just fixed some typos in both of your messages.
The alternate photo editing software is Affinity, not Avinity.
affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

I'm still using Photoshop, but am tempted to switch to Affinity.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
23 Mar 2019 15:43 #4

DoctorZen wrote: Moderator hat on here:
I have just fixed some typos in both of your messages.

I bet that was me!! Which is kind of funny, because I have had and been using Affinity Photo since it was introduced in beta for Windows. It is currently on sale for 39.99 USD (desktop version). I liked Affinity better than PhotoShop for some reason it just clicked for me and I could easy create LUT's with it, which PaintShopPro could not do at the time. They have some other tools which I have never needed or tried. For the price I think it does everything I need and a whole lot more.

Thank You Derek for picking up on my spelling, apparently I was typing to fast and neglected to spell check, which your interface provides!!
Best Regards......George
24 Mar 2019 02:10 #5

Hi Carter,

I just wanted to comment on two parts of your reply for clarification.

carterscj wrote: The files were also saved as .jpg instead of .png.

For whatever reason Vegas, like other NLE's, likes the png format better than jpg, because of the (usually) better quality of the png format, I suppose. That is the only reason I prefer png over jpg. With that said, if the originals photos where recorded in jpg, saving them as png doesn't add any quality. However, when I put photos in Affinity Photo (in your case PhotoShop) I work on them at their original resolution to make color corrections, etc. then size them for Vegas Pro and I think those corrections are then saved with better quality to the png format. Although the highest resolution my camera will record photos is 16m, it will record in RAW and jpeg. If your camera will record RAW or perhaps TIFF, then the png format will retain more of the original quality, than that which is normally included in the jpeg format. I also like png because it can be saved with an alpha transparency if I have created a background I wish to be transparent in Vegas.

carterscj wrote: So, I will switch to Photoshop to scale them to the Vegas project's resolution size and will save my photos as .png files instead of .jpg.

In Affinity, I usually save all the photos to the same aspect ratio as the project I am working on, which is usually 16:9. The resolution will depend on the project resolution, so if I'm working on a 1920x1080 HD project I will usually reduce the size to twice my Vegas project size resolution which would be 3840x2160. If I'm working on a 4K UHD project which is 3840x2160, I will leave my photos at their highest resolution from the camera (because my camera will not record at 7680x4320) and only adjust their aspect ratio. Having a photo of about twice the resolution provides for zooming in and adjusting the area included, using Track Motion or Pan&Crop and Vegas is very good at downsizing the photo to project resolution and maintaining quality. I hope all this makes sense!
Best Regards......George
24 Mar 2019 02:40 #6

Replied by carterscj on topic Photos to include in a video Project

Hi Derek and George,

I appreciate the explanation and clarification.

I learned something else new: I plan to use track motion and pan & crop for the photos so doubling their resolutions is a great tip.

My camera does save photos as RAW, the default format setting is set to .jpeg. I am going on a cruise in two weeks so I will experiment with saving photos as .TIFF and .PNG before I leave.

I have saved Photoshop graphics/images as .png before when transparencies is needed for DVD covers images, flyers, etc. I hadn't considered saving photos as .PNG.

Thank you.

Carter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six
24 Mar 2019 08:42 #7

Hi Carter, good to hear your cameras have those options and it appears you are quite familiar with still processing. I'm sure you are aware, raw, tiff, and png formats require considerable more storage space than jpg. Hope you have a great time during your travels.
Best Regards......George
24 Mar 2019 09:28 #8

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.