VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering 24 fps in mxf format

Rendering 24 fps in mxf format was created by pauldr44

Posted 09 Jan 2020 02:56 #1
I need to render footage to mxf format at 24 fps. In my rendering choices, it only provides 23.976 fps. Is there a way to specify 24 fps?

Thanks,

Paul Richards
Last Edit:09 Jan 2020 08:11 by pauldr44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering 24 fps in mxf format

Posted 09 Jan 2020 08:29 #2
Hi Paul

24 fps video always creates a lot of confusion, because most of the time 24 fps is an abbreviation that is actually referring to 23.976 fps.

If your video is definitely using 24 fps, I'm not sure what you can actually do, because the MXF format normally does not support 24 fps and you cannot manually change it like you can for other rendering formats.

However, if you have Vegas Pro 17, there is one MXF version that does support 23.976 fps.
Use Sony MXF HDCAM SR
Select one of the 24p templates, then press the Customize button.
Finally select 23.976 fps from the Frame Rate drop down box.

Make sure your original source video is actually 24 fps.
Go to the Project Media tabbed window and click on one of your "24 fps" videos.
At the bottom of the window you will see a readout that will show you the actual frame rate.
If your video is really using 23.976 fps, you need to make sure your Project Properties and Render Settings are all using 23.976 fps !

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Jan 2020 08:30 by DoctorZen

Replied by pauldr44 on topic Rendering 24 fps in mxf format

Posted 10 Jan 2020 07:12 #3
Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to cut a long clip down and then just copy and paste the small clip into a new project without rendering it? In supplying clips of 24 fps movies, I usually have to render the clips which always makes a problem. If I could just copy and paste without compressing the result it would save me having many problems.

Thanks,

Paul Richards

Posted 10 Jan 2020 07:28 #4
My videos are definitely 24 fps. They are all from 16 mm film conversions to ProRes HD.

Posted 10 Jan 2020 08:30 #5

My videos are definitely 24 fps. They are all from 16 mm film conversions to ProRes HD.

Why do you want/need to render ProRes video into .mxf ?
ProRes is supported by Vegas Pro, so there is no need to be re-rendering it !

Is there a way to cut a long clip down and then just copy and paste the small clip into a new project without rendering it?

There are many different tricks you can use. The method I sometimes use is to create 2x different projects and simply copy files from Project #1 into Project #2.

Project #1 is the "workshop" version which you can use to cut down all the long videos into small video clips/chunks, without doing any re-rendering.
You turn all the small clips into sub-clips, which then appear in the Project Media tab and are also added to the Vegas timeline.
Once they are on the timeline, you can add Markers (M for marker) at the beginning of each sub-clip or Regions, which you can create labels for.

This forum post explains how to create sub-clips with the Vegas Trimmer window.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/2400-save-clips-to-project-media-deal-in-vegas-movie-studio-16-platinum#12203

Project #2 will be the actual project you use the smaller clips in.
With Project #1 already open in Vegas, you then open a 2nd instance of Vegas by booting up Vegas a 2nd time - you will then see 2x versions of Vegas open in the Windows Taskbar.
Go to Project #1, right-click on the small sub-clip you want to use inside of the Vegas timeline and select Copy.
Now go to Project #2, right-click and Paste the sub-clip into the new project.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Jan 2020 08:32 by DoctorZen

Posted 10 Jan 2020 08:40 #6
The reason I render the small clips is to supply other film makers with the video files for use in their videos. I cannot send them a .vf file. So if I cut down a video to the desired clips, then how do I send out the clips as a video file for them to use? That is why I am trying to find a way to copy and paste video clips that I can use to supply people who want to license the footage in their works.

Posted 10 Jan 2020 08:44 #7
The only support in Vegas Pro that I find for ProRes format is in Quick Time 7 with templates ranging from 56 Kbps to 3 Mbps video none of which is sufficient to provide the quality of the original.

Posted 10 Jan 2020 08:55 #8
Now that I understand what you are trying to do, I have another solution for you.
If you are using Vegas Pro 14, 15, 16 or 17, you can render your small clips to ProRes @24fps in any quality setting you like.

In Vegas Pro 15, 16 & 17, ProRes is called MAGIX Intermediate - don't ask me why it isn't called ProRes, but I think it has something to do with licensing agreements. In Vegas Pro 14 it is called MAGIX ProRes.
The main thing to know is that MAGIX Intermediate is in fact ProRes codec using .mov format.

Select on of the 23.976 templates and then press Customize.

Select the quality setting you want to render with and set the Frame Rate = 24 fps.

Last Edit:10 Jan 2020 09:01 by DoctorZen

Posted 10 Jan 2020 09:52 #9
Thanks for this. I used the Magix intermediate setting you suggested. I hope it satisfies them. And I hope you are ok in the fires going on in Australia. We suffered with smoke for the last two summers here in Vallejo, CA, so I feel for you. Best, Paul

Posted 10 Jan 2020 12:01 #10
I will be uploading a video about the bush fires in Australia very soon.
The smoke has been very extreme on some days and the house absolutely stinks.
On the worst days I have been wearing a mask when outside.

Here is a technical readout of the Metadata of a video that is rendered with MAGIX Intermediate:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.942 seconds