VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question How to stop centered text from moving?

How to stop centered text from moving? was created by guest273

Posted 19 Jun 2022 09:15 #1
Hey everyone, guest273 here! Again...

How to stop centered text from moving? I want to create an effect where someone is narrating the text and each word appears as he says it.

So anyway, for one of the videos that I'm working on I have this idea that I can "create suspense for the viewers" while a long quote that spans multiple lines is being read out.

I though that it would be boring & bland if the whole quote just appeared on the screen at an instant.
So instead my idea was to type out the whole quote, and then working from back to front to delete a word from it and match it with the audio. The problem is that I have the text centered. And every time that I delete something from the line it tries to re-center the whole text in that line to be in the center.

How can I stop this text from moving? How can I make the line with only a single word not jump to the very middle of the screen.

I already tried putting in a spacebar for each letter that I delete but unfortunately for the font that I want to use the spacebars take less space than some letters, so that doesn't look good.

I mean I could just theoretically split the whole text per line & then match each line & have them centered to the left side, but that would be pretty tedious.

Thank you for your help,
guest273.
Last Edit:19 Aug 2022 14:37 by guest273

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic How to stop centered text from moving?

Posted 19 Jun 2022 10:00 #2
What I've done is type the entire text, then use a mask to uncover it word by word.
Last Edit:31 Jan 2023 14:15 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, guest273

Replied by guest273 on topic How to stop centered text from moving?

Posted 19 Jun 2022 11:06 #3
Thank you for this suggestion Eric!

It definitely sounds a lot easier than creating 40+ different matching copies of a text, some of which would only be visible for a couple of frames... :D

I had a feeling that there has to be a better solution.
I feel like this should be easy, but just in case I will let you know the results tomorrow! :)
Last Edit:31 Jan 2023 14:15 by guest273

Posted 20 Jun 2022 04:19 #4
Okay, let me show off how well it worked out in the end (a bit of unintentional self advertisement because I ain't splitting that fragment into it's own video, my PC has been rendering a lot lately! :D)

15:34 and the fragment beyond you can see the text appear as it's narrated.

Anyway, thank you for your advice, it has worked out fantastically and I will be using this technique in the future as well! :)
Last Edit:31 Jan 2023 14:15 by guest273

Replied by ericlnz on topic How to stop centered text from moving?

Posted 20 Jun 2022 12:38 #5
Well done.
Last Edit:31 Jan 2023 14:16 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: guest273

Posted 31 Jan 2023 07:38 #6
I know it's been more than half a year, but thank you Eric! :)
Last Edit:31 Jan 2023 14:16 by guest273

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.887 seconds