VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question The version of kernel is too old - Vegas Pro 17 error on Windows 10

Hi community, Im running sony vegas 17 in windows 10

When I open the software I get this: The version of kernel is too old. I cannot even open the software

It was working fine in win 7, but now that I upgrade to windows 10 I got this error

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you
Last Edit:07 Jul 2022 14:22 by fernandofg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Away
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563
Hi fernandofg

When you say that you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, is this the same computer your are talking about ?
OR
Did you buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it ?

If you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the same computer, did you do a clean install of Windows 10 ?
If you only used the Microsoft upgrade function, that is not good enough.
When you use the Windows upgrade function, it leaves lots of crap on your computer from the Windows 7 installation, which can cause errors.
Another problem can be caused by the age of your computer.
If the Drivers on your computer are not compatible with Windows 10, it can cause errors.

If my suspicions are correct, I highly recommend you do a clean install of Windows 10.
This means doing a backup of all your data first - moving all your data onto a backup (external) drive.
Make a note of all your programs that you like to use, because they will have to be re-installed.
Re-install Windows 10 - doing a clean install - this means your C-Drive will be wiped clean, which removes all traces of Windows 7.
After Windows 10 is installed, you next need to install any missing Drivers - Drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer of your Laptop or Motherboard.
Run Windows Update until all updates are installed.
Then finally, you can start to re-install all your programs.
Start with Vegas Pro 17 first and you should find it works 100% OK now.

Final note: Personally I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 many years ago now.
I also remember having problems, but they were all fixed when I did a clean install of Windows 10.
At that time, I made 3 tutorials on this topic, which are still helpful today.
The Windows 10 installer has changed a bit since I made these tutorials, but you can easily adapt my info.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-windows/548-how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-windows/575-restoring-drivers-apps-windows-10

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds