VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Importing old Movie Studio projects?

Importing old Movie Studio projects? was created by BlackSands

Posted 09 Feb 2023 10:51 #1
It seems this may not be possble?  I've been sent a project that was created in an older version Movie Studio (.vf file) but I wasn't aware that VP can't actually open these files?  Has this always been the case as I thought in the past I had been able to.  
| Movie Studio 17 / VEGAS Pro 19/20) | Intel i5-3.8gHz | 16Gb | nVidia GTX1030 | NewBlue Transistions 5/TotalFX7 |

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Importing old Movie Studio projects?

Posted 09 Feb 2023 12:11 #2
VP 19, 20 should open VMS17 "vf" files.  But if you used TP FX not available in your VP then some clips may be without the FX.

What exactly happens when you try to open a "vf" file with Vegas Pro?
by ericlnz

Replied by BlackSands on topic Importing old Movie Studio projects?

Posted 09 Feb 2023 14:29 #3
Sorry, I should have mentioned the old Movie Studio project in question was actually created in MS12, though that shouldn't make any difference.   What appears to be the problem is when I use the open file dialogue in VP20 it just doesn't "see" .vf files.  Dragging and dropping the .vf into Vegas does something odd... it seems to put the .vf itself on the time line in what seems to be a pre-rendered state, along with a few error messages.   However, I've since found that if I just right-click the .vf file and choose "open with...", and select Vegas Pro it then loads up the project without issue.  

| Movie Studio 17 / VEGAS Pro 19/20) | Intel i5-3.8gHz | 16Gb | nVidia GTX1030 | NewBlue Transistions 5/TotalFX7 |
Last Edit:16 Feb 2023 18:59 by BlackSands
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.771 seconds