VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160 was created by Wrench117

Posted 16 Dec 2014 15:31 #1
B) Evening Doctor Zen,

I thought by making a video explaining the issue would help better instead of typing out the problem. Here is a link to the you tube video-

Link to my camera - www.crutchfield.com/S-N8kPB8JSFgQ/p_158CX160/Sony-Handycam-HDR-CX160.html

Thanks For Taking The Time To help me out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

Posted 16 Dec 2014 23:52 #2
Hi Wrench

Just watched your video - I really appreciate this, because it makes it so much easier for me to help properly. I wish more people were like you :)

OK
I think your main problem is being caused by an incorrect setting in your Project Properties.
Your original source video direct from the camera is being shot at 1440x1080-29.97i (60i) - this is Interlaced Video and must be De-Interlaced for it to look correct. The wavy effect/distortion you are seeing is classic "interlacing" artefacts, caused by not de-interlacing the video.

In your Project Properties, set De-Interlace Method = Blend Fields.

Interlaced Video consists of 30x odd horizontal lines and 30x even horizontal lines. De-interlacing knits the fields together to create a smooth solid frame.

Progressive Scan Video records full frames (still images) that do not need de-interlacing. When using Progressive video, that's when you can set De-Interlace Method to None. Even though most cameras offer the option of recording interlaced video, this really is an old format now and if the option to record progressive is available, this is what you should actually choose.

The specifications for your camera show that it can record to the following:
1. 1920x1080-60p 28Mbps
2. 1920x1080-30i 24Mbps
3. 1920x1080-30i 17Mbps
4. 1440x1080-30i 9Mbps
5. 1440x1080-30i 5Mbps
6. 720x480-30i 9Mbps

The best options you should be using is either #1 or #2 setting.
Boxing has lots of fast movement, so this is a case where it would actually be a BIG advantage for you to record at 1920x1080-60p.
YouTube now supports 60p video. This will make your videos look very smooth indeeed !
I am about to upload some new tutorials on this topic.

If you don't want to record at 60p, please use 1920x1080-30i 24Mbps.

An easy way to make sure this never happens again, is to always use the Match Media Video Settings button in the top right corner of Project Properties window. After you import/select your first main video clip for a new project, open Project Properties, press Match Media, and then navigate to the exact same video you just imported and select it. Vegas will then make sure it is set exactly to the correct video properties, so that it displays properly.

Your Pixel Aspect Ratio is set correctly for 1440x1080 video.
1440 uses 1.33333.
If your camera has the option of recording to 1920x1080, this is what you should be using instead of 1440 - much better format.
1920x1080 always uses a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0 square.

There is no need to be also using Handbrake after you have rendered with Vegas. This is introducing an extra and unnecessary step and quite possibly compounding your problem. So please ditch Handbrake for re-sizing your video before uploading to YouTube. The default 24/12 Mbps bit rate settings are really good and don't need changing. If you really did want to reduce the size of your video, the logical thing to do is reduce your Bit Rate settings in Vegas. Example 16Mbps High / 8Mps Average.

The default Render As template for Mainconcept AVC - Internet 1080p, really doesn't need anything changed in it.
The only setting I turn OFF, which is turned ON by default, is "Allow source to adjust frame rate" - un-check this.
"Two Pass" is meant to give a slightly higher quality video, however I have found it doesn't really make any noticeable difference, so have stopped using it. When this is turned ON, your rendering times will be double.
If your Graphics Card is an Nvidia, you should be setting the Encode Mode to CUDA and not Open CL.
OpenCL is for AMD Radeon cards.

Final important piece of information.
When it is time to render/export any project, the rules about Interlacing/De-Interlacing/Progressive Scan are now different to what I said when we were in the Project Property window. At this step you DO NOT have to always use the same De-interlacing Method as was set in the Project Property window for your project. The De-interlacing Method you choose to use here, will all depend on where the final video is going to be shown and/or what device the video is going to be played back on.
In most cases the default Vegas Pro "Render As" templates have already been set correct for us, so you don't really have to worry about this setting.

All video shown on the Internet, YouTube, Computer Screens and Mobile Devices, is always Progressive Scan.
In Vegas, the Render As Field Order should be left/set to None - Progressive Scan.

The only type of video that is rendered as Interlaced Video, is when you are making a DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
In Vegas, the Render As Field Order = Upper Field First.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billr

Replied by Wrench117 on topic Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

Posted 17 Dec 2014 06:00 #3
Dr. Zen,

Its always amazing how much information you type out which is awesome. I'm re-rendering the video and when I get back at home, I'll upload to you tube and I'll let ya know how things turn out.

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it.

Replied by Wrench117 on topic Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

Posted 18 Dec 2014 02:06 #4
:cheer: Dr. Zen,

Everything worked as you said & I rerendered the video, uploaded it back to youtube, and I have absouley no problems with the video clip. Big thanks to you and again thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering Problems With Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

Posted 18 Dec 2014 08:47 #5
Excellent :woohoo:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.004 seconds