VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to stop Preview Lag in Sony Vegas Pro ?

How to stop Preview Lag in Sony Vegas Pro ? was created by blackwolf25067

Posted 19 Jan 2015 20:30 #1
I just currently bought sony vegas pro 12, but whenever I put in a video clip, and I add video fx onto it, and with an overlay, or text (I do gaming videos) it always seems to lag in the preview window, is there any way to stop/prevent it from happening?
Last Edit:30 Jan 2015 23:56 by blackwolf25067

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to stop Preview Lag in Sony Vegas Pro ?

Posted 19 Jan 2015 23:32 #2
Hi Black Wolf

This is perfectly normal behaviour you are describing.
As soon as you have multiple layers and video effects all working at the same time, you are asking the program to process "all of this information" in real time.
If your computer were able to do this, all your renders would also be in real time.

Here are my best tips for reducing lag while editing:
1. Turn on your Graphics Card in the Vegas Preferences. Go to Options - Preferences - Video tab and check GPU Acceleration. While you are in this window, do not be tempted to increase the Dynamic RAM Preview amount. This will steal RAM from available for processing.

2. Set Preview Window to Preview or Draft quality. This settings does not effect your final rendered videos quality.

3. Edit all your cuts first and add resource hungry Video FX last.

4. Try using Proxy Video creation tool.
After you have imported videos into a new project, right-click all videos (can be selected as one group) and select Create Video Proxies. This will create smaller and easier to play copies of your HD Videos just for editing. Make sure to set Preview Window to Draft or Preview quality - this switches on Proxy versions automatically. If you change the Preview Window back to Good or Best, original HD versions will play instead. When it comes time for rendering, you don't have to do anything different. Vegas will automatically use original HD versions to render your project.

5. Invest in a decent AMD Radeon graphics card. AMD based cards work a lot better with Sony Vegas and Movie Studio. Nvidia cards are better suited for Gaming only. The newer R9 series AMD Radeon graphics cards are best. Example: R9 280X or R9 290X.

6. For really big and complex projects, you can split the project up into smaller chunks and render each section into a new video. Then add all the smaller video sections back into one Master Project.

Regards
Derek :cheer:
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:19 Jan 2015 23:37 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.705 seconds