VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 > pro 13?

• Berto
  • Berto's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 > pro 13? was created by Berto

Posted 24 Jun 2015 00:46 #1
When is the best time to update Vegas pro? I am still on Pro 12 and I just received an email with 20% discount to go up to v13.. But I don't see a justification on this occasion..

Sometimes they offer 50% discount, Is the 50% offer only given when they upgrade to a brand new version? I mean is Pro 14 on the horizon? :P
Last Edit:24 Jun 2015 13:59 by Berto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 > pro 13?

Posted 24 Jun 2015 13:58 #2
Hi Berto

This is a great question.

I have never seen 50% discount for upgrading from Vegas Pro to Vegas Pro. They did offer 50% for Movie Studio users to buy Vegas Pro for the first time, which is different to normal upgrade pricing. The most discount they have ever offered was 40% for Vegas Pro to Vegas Pro. I know this because I have kept copies of all the promotions for last couple of years.

Vegas Pro 13 does include Nectar Elements worth $129 and NewBlue Essentials VI also worth $129, plus a few other things.
New features are listed here: www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/whatsnew
If you like both these bonus features (I certainly do and use them all the time), then the upgrade for $200 is not too bad.

No one ever knows when the next version will be released. However I was just thinking about the next product releases today in fact.
My guess is that Vegas Pro 14 or a completely new video editing software system will be released some time after Windows 10 gets released, which is on July 29.

Recently Catalyst Edit was released, which is built around a completely new architecture and modern user interface/design. So in the new Catalyst series there is now Catalyst Browse, Catalyst Prepare & Catalyst Edit. Catalyst Edit is not a replacement for Vegas Pro, however in reading the webpage linked below, I am very suspicious that Sony is hinting at a replacement (next evolution) for Vegas Pro. I can guess it may be named Catalyst Pro ?

Personally I think Vegas Pro needs a massive re-design. Compared to all the competition, the current user interface looks like something out of a museum - it desperately needs a makeover! The look and feel of the three new Catalyst programs is fantastic. Catalyst Browse is actually free and I use it all the time now.

Hopefully you see where I am going here. Get the upgrade if you like/need the new features and bonuses in Vegas Pro 13 or wait a little while longer to see what is coming soon (I hope).

www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystedit

The wording in this second screen shot is what I find very interesting. The graphics also indicate a new pathway for new icons/programs to fill blank spaces.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

• Berto
  • Berto's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Berto on topic Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 > pro 13?

Posted 24 Jun 2015 19:26 #3
Gee Thank you Derek for the prompt responce..

The quality and honesty of your answer can only be a reflection of your good character..
Very refreshing ..

Yes I have been a Loyal Vegas user, Like you I started with VMS and needed the multi cam feature on Pro.

I used Vegas mainly to edit shows for community TV, I produced for one of their shows for some 7 years..

I am also the founder of another community Video group and as president there I made sure that members go for Vegas instead of other 'toy' software.

I'd say some 20 units were purchased (on line) through that realm.. But now that I discovered your much needed site I shall be directing future purchases VIA Dr Zen.

I do want more people to buy Vegas to ensure future development which will benefit all of us.

I enjoyed your concise tuts on various aspects... and got more good results than calling Sony's help line :-)

I sometimes think the final output on Premier pro & Final cut look sharper.. is it my imagination? or is that why you suggest that Vegas engine has had it's day?

and how does the output from catalyst compare to Vegas in your opinion? (If indeed Catalyst is an editor)

I will talk to you later about Catalyst .. But I got to pick daughter from airport

Thanks again for world class support.. I shall buy the next whatever through your site.

cheers mate
by Berto

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 > pro 13?

Posted 24 Jun 2015 23:45 #4

I sometimes think the final output on Premier pro & Final cut look sharper.. is it my imagination? or is that why you suggest that Vegas engine has had it's day?

There is only one common reason I know of, that may make videos outputted from Vegas appear less sharp.
By default Vegas Pro applies Smart Re-sampling to all videos on the timeline, which creates a Motion Blur effect under certain circumstances.
Most experienced users of Vegas Pro turn this off for all projects.
Select all your videos on the timeline and then right-click - go to Switches - set to Disable Re-sample.
Now render your project and it should look much sharper.

No I don't think Vegas Pro has "had it's day". There are still many things about how Vegas Pro works, that are much easier and more logical to use than Adobe Premier and Final Cut. A perfect example of this is how you create a Transition in Vegas Pro.

Video Editing programs are extremely complex pieces of engineering. All the different parts have to work harmoniously with each other. Problems can manifest when you attempt to change a major part of the program, which end up affecting seemingly unrelated tasks. So developers don't like to re-invent the wheel for each new cycle of the program, otherwise you can end up with "bug city" and unhappy customers. So from what I understand (and I am certainly no expert on this topic - just an avid researcher), for Vegas to change in a major way, it would require a complete re-build from the ground up. That costs a large amount of money and time, and must be worth the effort if attempted at all. If Sony has decided to do something bold, my guess is that they will design something new from the ground up and this Catalyst range of products seems to be suggesting this may be going to happen.

how does the output from catalyst compare to Vegas in your opinion? (If indeed Catalyst is an editor)

If you render to the same Output Formats in Catalyst Prepare or Edit, there is no difference in quality that I can see.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Berto

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.225 seconds