VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Converting 16mm colour negative movie film to positive

Converting 16mm colour negative movie film to positive was created by kiwihans

Posted 19 Oct 2015 07:44 #1
I have a customer who is coming to see me tomorrow. She has a number of 16mm silent movies she shot 30 years ago. She want these movies digitised and made into positive images (they are in negative form at the moment)

Can Vegas Pro 13 handle this and what is the procedure? Many thanks in advance to anyone able to assist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Converting 16mm colour negative movie film to positive

Posted 19 Oct 2015 09:46 #2
Hi Kiwihans

I have never heard of "negative" 16mm film being in the possession of a home user.
Back in the day when movie films got developed, they are processed into Positive Film Prints. I have only seen positive film reels in people's possession.

If your client actually has negative reels of 16mm film, it is going to have to be processed by a film lab first.
Where you would get something like that done today would be a mystery to me in 2015.
I have heard of Movie Archives using special equipment that can transfer any type of film onto video, but that is an very expensive process.

A few years ago I transferred my families Super 8 film into video.
I set up a projector and displayed it against a white wall in a very dimly lit room.
I also positioned a tripod with my Canon video camera, just behind the projector. Then recorded at 24 frame per second.
This video was then imported into Vegas Pro and that is when the fun began.
I set the White Balance first and then used all of the main Colour Correction tools to get the film/video looking as best as possible.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by kiwihans on topic Converting 16mm colour negative movie film to positive

Posted 19 Oct 2015 16:55 #3
Hi Derek: Thanks for the reply! You are quite correct. Only professional movie makers went for a negative source movie to make positive prints. The person I am dealing with was a professional movie maker of those days.

I regularly convert "old 8mm super 8mm/regular 8mm to digital format. For this work I purchased a Telecine machine from the USA. Yes, originally I projected these movies on a white card and recorded these using my digital camcorder. That's history now - the telecine machine footage is recorded directly from the projector gate and the resulting arial image is picked up by my HD camcorder. The end result quality has to been seen to be believed!

Just to come back, the movies I mentioned have already been processed many years ago but as I said they are in negative format. I have previously used Photoshop in conjunction with a scanner to produce positive prints - this is not so easy if you want high quality! I expect the same sort of thing with negative movie film....
Needless to say, I am not doing this as a hobby but as a business.
If you would like to see the work I am into have a look at: www.hansgeltonvideo.com

Regards, Hans Gelton

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds