VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How do I get a video at 45 minutes to fit at a DVD-disk? Sony Vegas Pro 13

• Nordda
  • Nordda's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi!

I am moving all of our old VHS tapes to the computer and are going to burn them onto disks instead. And also make a 30-year anniversary movie for my sister. It is old tapes from our childhood.

My problem is that if I start editing the films and then rendering them their size is about 50gb. How do I get them to fit at a DVD-disk?

Regards Andreas
by Nordda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Andreas

You need to break your project up into smaller sections (mini-projects) and then export to more than one DVD.

A single layer 4.7GB DVD can hold 1 hour of the highest quality Standard Definition MPEG2 video and up to 2 hours of compressed video using Custom Bit Rates.

A dual layer 8.5GB DVD can hold 2 hours of the highest quality Standard Definition MPEG2 video and up to 4 hours compressed video using Custom Bit Rates.

I have a tutorial which explains how to compress video for DVD here:
How to Compress and Fit a Long Video onto a DVD

If you want to fit a large amount of video on a single disc, you should be burning to a Blu-ray disc instead.
Blu-ray also supports HD 1080i, HD 720p and DVD video.
A single layer Blu-ray disc has a capacity of 25GBs.
A dual layer Blu-ray disc has a capacity of 50GBs.
Even though Blu-ray discs are meant for HD video, you can still burn SD DVD quality video onto a Blu-ray disc.

And now that I have finished replying to your message, I have just read the title of your post and see that you only are talking about 45 minutes of video !
If your video is 50GBs in size, it sounds like you have rendered to Video for Windows .avi which is not meant for final delivery.
45 minutes of video will easily fit onto a DVD.
Please read and watch my tutorials on how to render video for DVD - there are many.
How to Render Video for DVD/Blu-ray with Menus using Sony Vegas Pro

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nordda

• Nordda
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Great! So now I just have do edit the video for my sisters birthday :)

So now to my other question; now when I have all our childhoods VHS tapes at my computer I have to edit some of them together due to Cyberlink PowerDirector paused it sometimes because it thought that it was copyright material when I was going and fishing back in year 1991 :D

Which rendering settings do I use so the files dont get 50gb? The originally files is about 2-3gb. I am planning to put them on a extern harddrive and share to my parents and siblings.
by Nordda

In your original message you said you wanted to make a DVD.
I have already answered your question in my first reply.
If you want to make a DVD, please read & watch this:
How to Render Video for DVD/Blu-ray with Menus using Sony Vegas Pro

If the video is only 45 minutes long, it will fit on one DVD by following the instructions in the tutorial.

You haven't explained how you produced a 50GB video file ?
What output format did you render to, that produced such a massive file ?

If you don't want to make a DVD now and only want to save a video onto your computer, just render to one of the Mainconcept AVC/AAC Internet templates.
These are perfect for computer playback or viewing on a TV.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Nordda
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Yes, I have watched it. Maybe I am bad to explain myself in english.

I don't know the rendering settings now because I'm at my phone at work but I'll try rendering in those templates instead.

I only matched media settings and rendered so maybe that's the problem. I'll try again after work.
by Nordda

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds