VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Upgrade from Sony Movie Studio Plat. 12 to Vegas Pro Edit 13

Hello,

Is it wise to invest the $299 {US} to upgrade my Movie Studio Plat. 12.0 software to Sony Vegas Pro 13 at this point?

I am currently using Movie Studio Plat. 12.0. I am considering purchasing Vegas Pro 13 Edit for the additional features. Vegas 13 has not been upgraded for over a year and there was a thread discussion about Sony phasing Vegas Pro out for Catalyst. Switching to Adobe's Premiere Pro is an option but would mean a yearly subscription for the software use and I would never have to worry about upgrades but I would not own the editing software either.

I apologize if I posted this question in the incorrect MovieStudioZen section.

Thanks.

Carter
Last Edit:20 Apr 2016 18:30 by carterscj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Upgrade from Sony Movie Studio Plat. 12 to Vegas Pro Edit 13

Posted 05 Apr 2016 08:34 #2
Hi carterscj,

Welcome to the forum. It appears you have mixed Vegas products between your post subject line and your post contents. Just to be clear there are currently three version of Vegas Pro 13. Vegas Pro 13 Edit (being the least capable and cheapest), Vegas Pro 13 (being the most capable with a few add-on's, and mid-range price), and Vegas Pro 13 Suite (being equally capable as Vegas Pro 13, but including additional add-on's, and being the most expensive). I think the best value is the Vegas Pro 13 Suite. Of course this is also the most expensive.

Although, looking at the comparison on Sony's website, there are few differences between Vegas Pro 13 Edit and Vegas Pro 13, I never considered Vegas Pro 13 Edit, from reading other experienced Vegas users and their recommendations.

So, I recently purchased (about 3 months ago) the download full copy of Vegas Pro 13 from B&H Photo for about $290.00. It was actually cheaper that way rather than the upgrade price from Movie Studio. Although the Suite has more add-on's, I didn't have a need for Sound Forge Pro 11 (I have Sound Forge Studio), HitFilm 3 Pro (I have the free HitFilm 3), Pro Production Assistant, or the collection of royalty free music tracks.

Despite reading, probably the same or similar to what you have, about Sony possibly dropping Vegas for the Catalyst line-up, for me Vegas Pro 13 made more sense. If you are not in a rush to purchase, either Vegas Pro 13 or Vegas Pro 13 Edit, you may want to check around for deals every couple days or weeks, especially at B&H Photo, as they may have a promotion as they did when I purchased it.

On the other hand, now that I have used Vegas Pro 13 for a couple of months, if I had known last year what I know now, I would have purchased it a long time ago and probably paid a premium. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will have additional information or maybe differing opinions.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by carterscj on topic Upgrade from Sony Movie Studio Plat. 12 to Vegas Pro Edit 13

Posted 05 Apr 2016 09:24 #3
Hi Eagle Six/George,

I apologize for the confused upgrade from Movie Studio Plat 12 to Vegas Pro 13 Edit post earlier. Proofreading is a weakness of mines. Often, I read my intent instead of what I wrote.

I think Vegas Pro 13 Edit will meet my needs for now, per the software comparison chart.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Vegas Pro. You boosted my confidence about the software purchase. I will search the internet for Vegas Pro 13 discounts, including at B&H Photo. I was not aware of B&H Photo (selling Vegas Pro for $399; Vegas Pro 13 Edit for $310).

Thanks.

Carter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Upgrade from Sony Movie Studio Plat. 12 to Vegas Pro Edit 13

Posted 05 Apr 2016 10:28 #4
Hi Carter,

To my knowledge, there are three ways you can get Vegas Pro 13 Edit.

1. Upgrade directly from Sony (and other dealers)
2. Purchase the full box with disc.
3. Purchase the download (from other dealers)

Any three could have at any time a promotion that the other doesn't.

It just so happened when I purchased, they had a deal on the full version download that was less than upgrading from the Movie Studio 13 Platinum. The download version usually is a few bucks less than the box, but of course you don't get an disc.

I opted for Vegas Pro 13 because it comes with DVD Architect 6.0. Although I have DVD Architect 5.0 from my Movie Studio, 5.0 doesn't do Bluray Dolby 5.1 and I wanted that feature, otherwise you should be good with the Edit version. Just to be clear, because I think I may have misstated in my previous post (other than the Dolby driver), there are no functional differences in the edit process between Vegas Pro 13 and Vegas Pro 13 Edit, or as far as that goes, Vegas Pro 13 Suite. The difference is in what comes packaged.

Good luck with your decision. There are some who are embracing the Sony Catalyst line, even though it hasn't matured well yet. I don't use it because my old computer has a problem running smoothly and I don't foresee replacing my computer anytime soon. I'm also not out to replace my primary camera soon either and have no need to increase resolution from HD to 4K. However, Vegas Pro not being updated for about 2 years may be an indication that it is over, maybe not.

Either way, for me, it fulfills what I need now without any real money, so I'm going to stick with what I have, Canon HD camera, ProRes recording, Vegas 13 as the NLE and my Sony flat screen for viewing. Everyone else will get more or less mileage and should base their decisions on their needs. Easy for me to say, as I have already spent my money!
Best Regards......George

Replied by altarvic on topic Upgrade from Sony Movie Studio Plat. 12 to Vegas Pro Edit 13

Posted 05 Apr 2016 19:41 #5
Here's the comparison.
If you don't need DVDs or Sound Forge - buy Vegas Pro Edit.
All other addons (or equivalent) you can purchase later (if you really need them).
For example, you can buy Vegasaur instead of Prod. Assistant ;)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.774 seconds