VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

• gunner
  • gunner's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn was created by gunner

Posted 06 Aug 2017 12:15 #1
DVD Architect v.6 build 67

Burned two DVDs, one with and one without, chapters of this same project without a problem. In the version with chapters there were a couple of broken links and one navigation problem so I fixed them. Then the trouble started. When I attempted to burn the project to a 8.5 GB disc (same package of discs as the previous ones) The thermometer quickly runs to 66% and the "Time to burn" readout runs

well past 5 hours then it dumps assorted error messages to the screen. They say A write error occurred. The disc may be dirty or corrupted." Or, "An unknown drive error has occurred." I've tried two drives, both external. One reads Blu-Ray and one doesn't, Ahy suggestions to get me out of this mess

Thanks,

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
Last Edit:06 Aug 2017 12:28 by gunner
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

Posted 06 Aug 2017 12:40 #2
If the problem started after you repaired the broken links, you may have added a problem while fixing things.
If the identical project burned OK before you changed the chapters, then something you have done is causing a problem.
Please upload a screen shot showing the Left Hand Disc Menu Tree structure for all of your project.

What is the total length in time for the DVDA project ?
What does the disc space used say in bottom right corner ?

Dual layer DVDs can cause problems sometimes.
Three most common problems:
1. Break point for when burn jumps to second layer is in wrong position.
2. Bad quality discs can have very poor quality dye, for burning to second layer.
3. Burn speed is set too high, which can cause errors - reduce burn speed.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:06 Aug 2017 12:41 by DoctorZen

• gunner
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by gunner on topic DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

Posted 07 Aug 2017 00:35 #3
First, thank you very much for the quick reply.

To answer your questions: total length in time for the DVDA project is 1:26:57. Disc space shows 4.3 GB.

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
Last Edit:25 Oct 2017 18:59 by gunner

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

Posted 07 Aug 2017 09:20 #4
I cannot see any errors with your actual DVD Menu structure.
To rule out any other problems, I recommend re-saving your DVDA project to new folder.
This will make sure you have a clean folder for the project to be prepared to.

It may also be a good idea to reset DVDA.
Close program and do this:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

My bet is that you have a problem with the type of discs you are using.
Are you using DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW ?
What brand discs are you using ?

If you are using Re-Writable discs, they can only be re-written so many times before, before they become unstable.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• gunner
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 07 Aug 2017 13:26 #5
>> I recommend re-saving your DVDA project to new folder.
This will make sure you have a clean folder for the project to be prepared to. <<

Done

>> It may also be a good idea to reset DVDA. <<

Also done

>> My bet is that you have a problem with the type of discs you are using.
Are you using DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW ?
What brand discs are you using ? <<

Private label from Staples (a large office supply chain here.) Why? They were the only 8.5GB discs I could find. They are DVD+R DL Double Layer. I have tried to find DVD-r in 8.5GB discs since you recommend -R but so far all the usual suspects turn up only +R. Even Uncle Google shows only +R. I don't know what any of that means but if you say -R that's what I tried to find. I do have some name brand discs from Kodak arriving in a couple of days but they are also +R. The first two burned without a problem and in about 15 minutes or so. <shrug> I have tried about 6 times with different discs each time and all those were washed - a trick I learned when I was a Microsoft contractor many years ago. I'll keep trying but am not promising I won't come back! ;)

As always, many, many thanks for your help.

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
by gunner

Replied by ericlnz on topic DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

Posted 07 Aug 2017 14:06 #6
A couple of additional thoughts.

Blank discs aren't what they used to be since very few are being manufactured. Personally I always use Verbatim DVD-R.

Do you really need to use DL discs? DVDA shows your project as 4.2 gb which would comfortably fit on a single layer disc which holds 4.35 gb. DVDA over estimates the size so I suspect you will find it's actually under 4 gb.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, gunner

• gunner
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 07 Aug 2017 14:21 #7
>> Do you really need to use DL discs? <<

Well, that's a thought... the first time I tried to burn this project it stopped somewhere in the prep process and told me the disc was too small. I haven't tried again. I guess I will.

Thanks!

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
Last Edit:07 Aug 2017 14:24 by gunner

Posted 07 Aug 2017 18:42 #8
I think I can guess now as to what has happened.

You said you successfully burnt Version 1 of your project to the exact same DL discs.
Then you modified the project and now Version 2 of the project refuses to burn, using the same discs.

My guess is that Version 1 fitted perfectly on layer one of the DL disc.
Version 2 of the project is burning to layer one and a little bit to layer two.
You have just told us that you are using generic "no name brand" discs.
As I suspected before, the discs you are using are probably poor quality.
I have had the exact same thing happen to myself many years ago, when I purchased DL discs from the discount store - never again!

Now I only use quality Verbatim discs (like Eric) and have never had a problem since.
I also like Eric's idea of fitting your 1 1/2 hour project on a single layer disc.

It could be touch and go, to fit your project on a 4.7 GB disc.
Use the in-built "Fit to Disc" option in DVDA
OR
Re-render your video using Custom Bit Rates, to reduce the file size slightly.

I have an in-depth tutorial on this topic here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/dvd-architect-studio-50/493-how-to-compress-a-long-video-onto-a-dvd

Using Mark's Bit Rate Calculator, these are the settings I would use for re-rendering your project.
*Note that you need to add extra 000's in Vegas, for the bit rate values.

Extra
It might also be worth doing a test on your DL discs, if you want to torture yourself some more (something I would do).
Start a NEW test DVDA project and place about 2 hours of video in it.
Don't worry about fancy menus, just import 2 hours of video.
Then see if this burns OK to the DL discs.
This test would be to see if there is something wrong with your original project (An X-file), that is causing the problem.
When I discover X-files, I scrap everything and start from the very beginning.
Last Edit:07 Aug 2017 18:44 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

• gunner
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 07 Aug 2017 22:59 #9
One, or the other, or both of you are a genius. I happen to have some old LaserScribe DVD+R discs Which I had initially tried and was told by DVDA the disc is too small. Tried one again after following Derek"s instructions and with the Eric suggested smaller disc. Complete success.

We no longer have a real computer store in Northeast Florida so off to the office supply store I went. They do carry Verbatim brand but not in the 8.5 DL size and ordering from their .com site is outrageously expensive. Hence I bought what they had. I think you are correct Derek; those are the only 8.5 discs I have. I did continue to use discs from the same package but a new disc each time. Just wanted to make sure our common language barrier wasn't at work...

I have Mark's Bit Rate calculator... one of your tutorials I read early on after finding your site recommended it so I grabbed it and, of course, bookmarked the instructions.

>> Start a NEW test DVDA project and place about 2 hours of video in it.
Don't worry about fancy menus, just import 2 hours of video.
Then see if this burns OK to the DL discs. <<

I shall do so straightaway this afternoon. Have to go to hospital now... pre admission for surgery I'm having on my left arm Thursday. Getting old ain't for sissies!

>> It could be touch and go, to fit your project on a 4.7 GB disc.
Use the in-built "Fit to Disc" option in DVDA
OR
Re-render your video using Custom Bit Rates, to reduce the file size slightly. <<

In your opinion does Mark's utility do a better job than the Vegas tool?

-= Gunner =-
-= St. Johns, FL =-
by gunner

Replied by ericlnz on topic DVD Architect error message while preparing to burn

Posted 08 Aug 2017 08:55 #10
I've never burnt a DL disc. But the impression I get from several forums is that they can be problematic and the main recommendation is only use Verbatim DL. And yes they probably do cost more.
by ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.149 seconds