Solved Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

• Thank you received: 35

Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture. was created by Eagle eye.

Have you Derek or any members used a Go Pro camera to complement regular camcorder footage? Currently I use a suction mount on the windscreen to enable capture of road trip footage with my HXR-NX70p camera in 1920x1080 50i & I hope soon to employ 50p once the Blu-ray disks become available.
My thought is to purchase a Go Pro Hero 4 which I believe will video in 1920x1080 50i or 50p. I would then mount this to the windscreen instead of the much larger camera. The field of view setting I would use is ‘Narrow’ which I believe is equivalent to 28mm in 35mm SLR cameras.
a) My questions are would the picture from the Go Pro at that setting still suffer barrel distortion?
b) Also would the footage be as sharp as the NX70 and not stand out in the completed video?
c) Would rendering be an issue with that mixed footage on MSP. Finally any tips on using the Go Pro?
10 Jun 2015 07:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

I am not up to date with the latest GoPro cameras. I only have a GoPro Hero2 and I know it is a lot different to V3 or V4.
That being said, I believe Narrow Field of View has virtually no distortion now.
Refer to this video on YouTube.

The video quality in Hero 4 Black and Silver editions is extremely good compared to earlier generations of the camera. Especially in low light conditions.
Almost every documentary TV show contains video shot with these cameras now and you can't tell the difference between a GoPro and normal video camera. All the latest GoPros also have advanced recording modes you can select which create better quality video.
Here is a great comparison chart from the GoPro website.
shop.gopro.com/APAC/compare?category=cameras

There is no problem in mixing two different video types in the same project, as long as you use compatible Frame Rates as you already have stated.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.
10 Jun 2015 19:46 #2

• Thank you received: 185

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

Hi there,

I currently have a GoPro Hero 3+ Black which I have used numerous times. I recently finished a project for my Cousin's 50th Birthday (August Pocono NASCAR Race), and used that camera, as well as a Canon T3i, Canon T5i, and a Panasonic camcorder. After various issues (mine, of course! :blink: ), I finally got the project done. It was created finally using Vegas Pro 12 64-bit and DVD Architect Pro 6. The biggest thing I had to realize is that with all of the different footage, including creating slideshows from still images, was that the final rendering in both Vegas and DVD Architect, was that it took quite some time. I tried different settings to render from Vegas, but finally settled on the Sony AVC/AVHCD to render. Since I don't quite understand all of the color correction, during the video you can see the differences of the cameras, but I was able to utilize all of the needed items. The one thing I did find out during the process, which took a few months to complete, was that when I kept getting a failed render in Vegas, was to pay attention to the error that was generated, which helped me to discover that ONE $&#$ picture was corrupted that was causing the failed render. Just had to persevere through it. Of course, I was on this forum looking for answers to different issues I came across, and watching the Doctor's videos numerous times to help out (Thanks Derek!). One thing I did find out is that if you convert the GoPro footage using their software, sometimes it imported correctly into Vegas (I also have had the same issue on my other computer using MSP 13 64-bit), and sometimes it did not. I have had far better results if converting the footage using the free Any Video Converter (AVC) that Derek has recommended in different replies to those in the forums, and within his videos. And, even using my GoPro only, to create a DVD to use while on my TreadClimber, I was even able to utilize the native format from the camera, even when I shot at both 1080p/29.9 or the "wide" 4k/15 that the camera is capable of. Once I save up the money, I will definitely be moving up to the newer GoPro 4, as I want to get the 4k/24 footage.
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC/1950X/64 GB Corsair/Sapphire Radeon VII/SoundBlaster Zx/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. Vegas Pro 15 Suite/Vegas MSP 15 Suite/SoundForge Studio 12/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/Hitfilm & Ignite Express 12. Intel 750 PCIe with OS & Apps, Samsung 960 EVO PCIe for source footage....
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
20 Jun 2015 04:53 #3

• Thank you received: 185

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

Forgot to add:

During my last post I mentioned the Tread Climber video. With my camera, even when it was set for 1080, I didn't get a "barrel" distortion, but there was definitely a lot of "rolling shutter" as they say, as the camera was being held by my hand holding out the window. I noticed this with a lot of motion, so if you do plan to use one, from what I have seen on most of the GoPro footage videos, is use a high frame rate like 60 or 120 fps, and adjust in the timeline. You may have to set for 720p to get that high, but if you plan to render for DVD, the format would be great. And just think of the "slo-mo" action you could have! ;)
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC/1950X/64 GB Corsair/Sapphire Radeon VII/SoundBlaster Zx/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. Vegas Pro 15 Suite/Vegas MSP 15 Suite/SoundForge Studio 12/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/Hitfilm & Ignite Express 12. Intel 750 PCIe with OS & Apps, Samsung 960 EVO PCIe for source footage....
20 Jun 2015 05:00 #4

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AlanB on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

Just a small point from your post - the main advantage of using GoPro studio before MSP or Vegas Pro is to remove the 'fish eye' effect which you get when using the wide fov. setting on the GoPro camera. I haven't come across other software that does this.
16 Dec 2015 11:37 #5

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
16 Dec 2015 11:52 #6

• Thank you received: 567

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Using a Go Pro to augment camcorder capture.

I mistakenly posted to another thread that the Mercalli 4+ SAL would correct for fisheye, but I was corrected by member "ets" here link

The Mercalli 4+ SAL specs list it as optimized for fisheye effect when selecting the appropriate camera preset. I misread that spec. When I tested some GoPro Hero 3+ wide footage, I found that "ets" is correct, and made a subsequent post acknowledging my mistake. It doesn't correct fisheye, but it does optimize the stabilization correction for fisheye clips.

I haven't used ProDAD defishr, but I would think it would do a better job than GoPro Studio. GoPro Studio is a free download, defishr has a small cost. If the interface of defishr is anything like ProDAD Mercalli or ProDAD Respeedr, that to me would be worth the small cost of defishr. Just my opinion, either will work, and again, I apologize if I mislead anyone.
Best Regards......George
17 Dec 2015 06:02 #7

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.