VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Camera to Pc linked communications?

Camera to Pc linked communications? was created by Spicy_Chicken

Posted 26 Nov 2015 01:42 #1
Greetings,
I have a question that maybe someone could answer for me, about at wits end trying to figure out if this is possible with the equipment I have or possible purchasing new equipment.

I sell on line things from auctions and such, taking my own pictures, the picture studio is about 30 feet from the PC and is quite the hassle removing the card from the camera and inserting to the PC,....... thousands of times....ok maybe hundreds.

Do they make a camera with blue tooth capabilities that will send these pics to the PC, or an add on to the existing equipment.

PC -Sony VAIO L23 VPCL234FX 24" All-in-One Desktop Computer

Not the best but works flawlessly.

PC

Camera - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50

Gets the job done.

Camera

If anyone could help figure this out, many a thanks!

New cables, software, equipment, what ever it takes. lol :-)

Cheers - Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Camera to Pc linked communications?

Posted 26 Nov 2015 03:42 #2
The first thought that pops up is a direct connect USB cable. This may not be the most feasible, or convenient, but could be a simple inexpensive method. Looking at your PC and camera links, it appears your PC and camera have USB connections.

If your camera USB connection is used to upload photos to a PC, then this could work with a USB Active Extension Repeater Cable (Active Extension cable maximum length is 32 feet. Without an active extension cable the max length is about 16 feet). There are of course several hitches with running a direct connect cable. You may be able to get longer lengths by using USB hub devices.

Another hard wired method would be to run the USB connections through a Ethernet hub which has a maximum length of about 300 feet. I'm sure there are other methods which Derek or other members are more familiar with than I am.

Also, there are some bluetooth enabled consumer cameras available, but if it were me, and I was going to buy another camera, I would probably go with WiFi. It appears your PC has WiFi (if not, an inexpensive USB WiFi adpater would provide the connection). WiFi is a more robust wireless solution for uploading larger files and I think WiFi also has a longer range. There are a bunch of consumer level WiFi enabled cameras available.

I'm sure Derek and others will have even more ideas and solutions. BTW, nice website.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:26 Nov 2015 03:44 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spicy_Chicken

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Camera to Pc linked communications?

Posted 26 Nov 2015 14:19 #3
Hi Jeff & George

George has pretty much said what I was going to say.
If you Google search how to tether a camera to PC, and look at Video results, you will find a lot of different setups.

I use a Sony A7s and there are many different ways you can connect with it.
USB, Wi-Fi and one touch NFC.

I don't think anyone would recommend Blue Tooth, because it is way too slow.
Using Wi-Fi or a USB cable is the best.

Sony has a remote app that works with most of it's good cameras, that you install on your computer.
support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Win/rcc/us.html
As you shoot each image, it automatically saves to your PC.

Here is a video explaining how to set it up.

I also use an Android app that I have installed on my Samsung Galaxy 10" Tablet, called RCC Droid Pro.
rccdroidpro-en.glensk.com/
It works in a similar way to the Sony PC app and saves the images to tablet.
I use the tablet to preview all images and for live view.
I have a $12 plastic bracket from eBay that attaches to an old tripod. This connects to the tablet so I view easily.

Tony Northrup who is a Professional Photographer has a video about this topic.
Tony does a full overview of his setup. At the 3:30 minute mark is when it starts to talk about the computer side of things.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:26 Nov 2015 14:27 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spicy_Chicken, Eagle Six

Replied by Spicy_Chicken on topic Camera to Pc linked communications?

Posted 01 Dec 2015 04:46 #4
Thank You - George and Derek!

Lots and lots of great info to consider and with hours of research from your suggestions I have come to the conclusion that Wi-Fi will be the answer.
We have a few spare laptops around, link it to the home network and the pics can be saved to a folder on my main PC
Can't afford Sony's A7s (WOW) which links directly to Wi-Fi but there are some alternatives out there allowing me to tether to the laptop, which will be a great to see the pics on a larger screen in real time anyway.

Tether was the key word in YouTube search to find what the options were, unfortunately most vids show items that are way out of price range but there were bits and pieces of info leading in the right direction.

Something Like This I believe to be sufficient to get the job done with out breaking the bank.

In this particular situation, a 24mp camera is way overkill since most pics are taken at a meter or less and since we have to reduce the size of the pic for uploading to eBay anyway, would love to have one though for those outside shots where you can crop just a small part of the pic and its still pretty clear. :-)

Any how, once again thanks for the your input and info.......... it was a tremendous help on my decision board.

Cheers - Jeff
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Posted 01 Dec 2015 06:35 #5
Jeff, please correct me if I'm wrong.......it appears for many of your trade shots, you have some type of table top setup with your camera tripod mounted. This allows you a fixed lighting and somewhat static display of your products. This arrangement would work well with a tethered laptop nearby to review your shots, just as you describe. Either mounted on the tripod itself or a nearby position table.

I'm not familiar with the Sony A700, but the specs and reviews appear positive and as you surmise, the 12 megapixel should be more than adequate for your online business, and superior to your current camera. I'm not sure the price is the best, but I'm sure you have researched that well, and being used, it does beat the original $750 price tag when the camera was introduced. You may also find the Minolta lens mount an advantage, as there should be a full array of used Minolta lens available at very reasonable prices. Of course the lens included may be perfect for your application.

My only other thought is about something you may not currently have any interest in, but I will pass it along for your consideration. It appears, currently, your online photography includes stills only.

Many retailers have discovered short videos of certain aspects of their business, are a huge advantage to bringing attention to their products and increasing customer retention. Short videos can be used on your own website as well as linking from other website/online auctions to your Youtube channel. The reason I mention this now is......the A700 doesn't appear to have any video capability.

With that in mind, there are many alternative DSLR, or DSLR wannabe cameras available in either Canon or Nikon, and others, which would have as good or better quality than your current camera, include HD video capability, and built-in WiFi. These are just thoughts that I would consider before making my investment decision. This may not have any advantage to your current photographic workflow, but may allow expansion of your visual marketing tools in the future, without requiring addition investment in another camera.
Best Regards......George

Posted 01 Dec 2015 09:08 #6
George,
You are absolutely correct on all accounts including the A700 not having vid capabilities, but fortunately we have 2-Sony HDVC's which we use on a regular basis and also why we all appreciate Derek his awesome tutorials.

I don't know much about the A700 either and it is the lowest priced camera on the list the fellow mentioned on the first vid Derek posted. It may be that because it doesn't have vid capabilities; maybe this reflects the cheaper price. If I didn't have other vid camera's I would consider one.

For me it's kind of a catch 22, on one hand its a pain to carry around both units but on the other had if I were to buy a good decent camera with both still and vid capabilities and something goes wrong with it, we are out both, until it gets fixed or replaced of course.

You mentioned that you thought I had some type of static display for our products, "Bing" You complimented me on our web site, and there alone we have taken literally thousands of pics, built a nice light box for that, but rarely use it anymore. The pic below shows the set up know, and the reason behind the ole barn wood; we purchased an old farmstead about 12 years ago that no one lived in for more than 30 years, it had 13 structures on the property and they were all full, like the people just got up and left, horse collars were still hanging on the wall along with 22 ole pieces of machinery, point being is there are thousands of small vintage and antique items here and folks are willing to pay a great deal for them, hence the barn board background. on the right you can see some poster board which is used for that seamless look when dealing with more fine items that need a clean high contrast, non-distractive background. Not the best set up but.......it was cheap enough! LOL

I was wrong, the Sony H50 is the camera before the one we have now, the Sony HX100V does have a usb connection but unfortunately only allows for manual download and not mirroring the view, :-(

It does take some great pics thought for what it is.

Always wanted a true DLSR but could only afford the wannabe's, One good thing about the Minolta lens mount is; once the digital age hit hard, not many wanted to keep there ole 35's and we ended up with a crap load; which included lots and lots of lenses, really looking forward this tethered transformation! :-)

Thanks for your insight George, ........ really!!

Cheers - Jeff

Posted 01 Dec 2015 09:31 #7
Jeff, your table top setup looks more than adequate, and your skills show in your photographs. You obviously do your homework. I think you have a good handle on the direction you have chosen and you making good economic decisions on your investments.

Some of the older SRT101 lenses are quite remarkable. I have had all the great ones over many years, but I have always been amazed how well, many of the Minolta lenses, stacked up against Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Leica, and others.

Good luck on your quest, and I hope if you have time, you will update with you get it all working.

BTW: Is that your pepper farm? I'm impressed you keep track of all those verities!
Best Regards......George

Posted 01 Dec 2015 10:13 #8
Thanks George! I will update when all is up and running and give you the ups and downs. lol

We start our plants around Christmas because of the long gestation period. About 10 thousand and the rest are just some pics of the gardens.

Posted 01 Dec 2015 10:17 #9
Some people find this interesting, before and after's. :-)

Cheers

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Camera to Pc linked communications?

Posted 01 Dec 2015 11:52 #10
I love all your photos Jeff - beautiful colours.
The seedling shots and red peppers :woohoo:

When I get to the USA one day, I would love to visit your farm! :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.927 seconds