VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved project frame rate

• jshew
  • jshew's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

project frame rate was created by jshew

Posted 19 Jul 2016 08:22 #1
I'm confused as to best settings for my project. Source media is uncompressed 10 bit at 16 fps (made from old 8mm silent 16fps film). Movie Studio sees it as 1920 x 1080 x24 17.000 fps in Project Media window and 1920 x 1080 x 32 17.000i in Preview window. For projects settings I chose "Match media", so it shows "Custom" in Project Settings Frame rate (17 fps). I am rendering to make DVDs so my choices for frame rate will be a standard setting. I am getting some motion blur and dropped frames in renders that I've tried so far. So I wonder if I am making the right setting choices for my type of source media in order to make the highest quality possible DVDs?
Last Edit:21 Jul 2016 18:11 by jshew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic project frame rate

Posted 19 Jul 2016 19:38 #2
Hi jshew

This is not something I have any experience with, so I'm not the best person to ask advise from.
Another forum member has already discussed this topic here, which I think you should read all the way through.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/811-avi-output-settings-transferring-film-to-video

It should literally be impossible for you to get "dropped frames" if you are rendering to one of the standard DVD formats/templates, since all of these use higher frame rates like 23.976 fps, 25 fps or 29.97 fps. The opposite should actually be happening.

What you have done so far is the correct method, using the Match Media function.
When it is time to render the 16 fps (17 fps) video, Movie Studio will interpolate extra frames to bring it up to the standard frame rate you choose.

The only setting you can really experiment with is "Re-sampling", which can effect Motion Blur.
Right-click videos on timeline and go to Switches - Disable Re-sample.
If it looks better after this, keep it at this setting.
If it looks worse after this, change it back to defaults.

The fact that your Source Media is 1920x1080 HD video, means it would be better if you made Blu-ray discs instead, which support HD video.
Making DVDs is taking your HD video and reducing it back into only Standard Definition video.

I don't know why you are seeing your source video as 17 fps, if it is actually 16 fps.
Use the free media app mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to check that it is in fact 16 fps.
If it is actually true 16 fps video, I would manually change the Movie Studio Project Properties back to 16 fps.
Sometimes some video codecs don't get read properly in Movie Studio and produce incorrect meta data.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:19 Jul 2016 19:39 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Eagle Six, jshew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.805 seconds