VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved delete part of a scene

• hkmk23
  • hkmk23's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

delete part of a scene was created by hkmk23

Posted 10 Jul 2016 00:37 #1
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie.. Just found both Platinum 13 and this forum. Both look great. I have one immediate stupid (probably) help request.
So I have my home video, it has been converted to a .wmv file and I can import it into Studio all fine. But when I come to the bit where aunt Flo is picking her nose in church......how do I mark the start and finish and highlight and delete the offending section cleanly? I have spent several unhappy hours trying to do this so far!

This is so basic I feel ashamed to ask, but I simply cannot do this task...... and no I don't have an aunt flo - it's just an example!

so far every time I try and do it deletes the whole movie!

Help please

Cheers
Last Edit:10 Jul 2016 01:54 by hkmk23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic delete part of a scene

Posted 10 Jul 2016 00:50 #2
Hi hkmk23 and welcome to the MSZ Forum.

Please watch my beginners guide tutorial, which will teach you how to use the most important editing tools.
Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

The most simplest way to cut out a section of video, is to use S for Split and the DELETE key.
Import video to timeline and locate frame just before section you want to delete.
Press S for split.
Now move along and find end of offending section - press S for split.
Press mouse pointer on top of middle section and press DELETE key.
Now move 3rd section to left, until it snaps into place.

As a general note, I would not advise converting video to Windows Media Video .wmv
This is not a good format to edit with at all.
H.264 .mp4 is a better option generally.

Most formats used by Video Cameras should work natively inside of Movie Studio and do not require conversion before importing, unless it is using an unsupported format.

Make sure to download the Keyboard Shortcuts Guide, that you have access to.
You should have received a message with link, when you signed up.
If you lost download link, login to MSZ and go to Support/Free eBook & Downloads

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Jul 2016 00:50 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: hkmk23

• hkmk23
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by hkmk23 on topic delete part of a scene

Posted 10 Jul 2016 03:49 #3
Thank you, that works great, absolutely delighted. Now I can explore all the other features.
by hkmk23
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• hkmk23
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by hkmk23 on topic delete part of a scene

Posted 11 Jul 2016 02:10 #4
Hi again,

another question.... I know there is studio platinum 13 and Vegas and the major difference is price and goodies included, but what about the offerings from Magix, I am hoping for the lazy answer because I obviously do not know enough about any of these products and need to make a choice in less than 30 days.....
should I stick with obsolete Sony? or jump on the new and unknown from Magix? Of course you may not wish to comment publicly but where else can I get an expert opinion from?
The only reason I am considering Vegas is the sound adjuster.

cheers
by hkmk23

Posted 11 Jul 2016 02:30 #5
Sony Vegas Software is not obsolete.
95% of all their products have been sold to Magix and Magix will now continue development of all these programs.
No company would spend money on buying a product and then bin it, unless they escaped from the loonie bin and love burning money in the street for fun :silly: :side: :whistle:

Magix has stated very clearly, that their original products and the Vegas lineup, will run parallel to each other.

There is a thread on the forum you can read, that contains links to all official press releases from Sony and Magix.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/953-magix-software-has-acquired-sony-creative-software

However, like all things in life, I will believe it when I see it !
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jul 2016 02:31 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, vkmast

Replied by Eagle Six on topic delete part of a scene

Posted 11 Jul 2016 03:06 #6
Hi hkmk23,

From my perspective......about two years ago I went from various consumer editors to Movie Studio 12 platinum. At the time making the comparisons between Movie Studio and Vegas Pro, including the price (about $600 USD at the time), I thought Movie Studio would suit my needs and being on a retirement budget wanted more money for shooting equipment than editing (if I was making a living on productions I would go directly into Vegas, but being a retired hobby.....cost do effect buying decisions).

I soon then upgraded to Movie Studio 13 Platinum suite. But by that time I was seeing the need for some of the advantages of Vegas Pro, but still the budget wasn't there to support the buy. Last December I found a $200 USD deal to get Vegas Pro 13 and I have never looked back!

The more I used Vegas Pro and the more I learned, the more I realized how much I needed it. I was satisfied with Movie Studio and it does a great job, but for me, the difference between Movie Studio and Vegas Pro is like night and day.

If I was still on Movie Studio 13 and knew what I now know about Vegas Pro, I would jump at the Magix offer to get Vegas Pro 13 for $200 and a free Vegas Pro 14 in September/October. Of course this is just my personal opinion, different folks get different mileage from different products.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:18 #7

hkmk23 wrote: should I stick with obsolete Sony? or jump on the new and unknown from Magix?

After making my first reply to your new question, I realised the next day, that I had gone off on a tangent and didn't answer properly.
I need to stop answering messages at midnight!!! 8-)

I have tried just about all the different video editors available.
I keep coming back to Sony Vegas, because of the way it handles the timeline.
All other programs seem to over-complicate things.
Vegas Pro and Movie Studio are definitely not perfect, however no program is.

No matter what Video Editing program you decide to use, eventually you need to commit to something and learn it properly.
Jumping around from one program to the next, can be exhausting and lead to frustration.
I really hope that Vegas Pro and Movie Studio will get better under the guidance of Magix.
If they go backwards, I will be seriously looking at an alternative I can learn from scratch.

I am an optimist generally speaking, so always live in hope for the best outcome :)

Derek.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds