DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved A problem with window blinds

Replied by DoctorZen on topic A problem with window blinds

Posted 04 Aug 2016 03:16 #11
If you are making DVDs and importing HDV 1280 x 720 video into DVD Architect, DVD Architect is actually re-rendering ALL of your HDV videos back into Standard Definition 720 x 480 resolution. Which means all your videos are now being rendered twice, which is never a good idea.

It is always best to render your videos in Movie Studio Platinum for DVD, using the official DVD Specification, which is MPEG-2 for DVD 720 x480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL).

I say this all the time to everyone making physical media in 2016 - you should be making Blu-ray discs, which support 1080i and 720p HD video.
If you are using an HD camera to record your videos, it makes sense to also burn HD video to Blu-ray disc and not be downgrading all your videos to a resolution that is only 1/4 of your original source video. 99% of all people in 2016 are also viewing on HD TVs - not SD TVs.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Aug 2016 03:33 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, vkmast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Drummerkat on topic A problem with window blinds

Posted 04 Aug 2016 21:59 #12
Do you know if HDV will render with the chapter markers?

Posted 04 Aug 2016 22:45 #13
Yes you can save Chapter Markers when rendering to DVD and Blu-ray formats.
However, you need to tell the program you want this to happen in your output Render As/Make Movie settings - it does not happen automatically.
Over the last couple of versions of Movie Studio Platinum, Sony kept changing where this setting is located.
If you are using Movie Studio Platinum 13, the setting is hiding at the top of Render As window.

To access these settings in MS, follow this pathway:
Make Movie/Save to Hard Drive/Advanced Options
Then press triangle at top to reveal extra settings.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Posted 04 Aug 2016 23:54 #14
I did those steps and did a test render of HDV 1280 x 720 to DVD architect because HDV has better quality in this particular video versus the NTSC, even if it has to recompress. After rendering the chapter markers did not transfer. I went to make the scene selection but none of the 8 markers were there. I'm not sure what went wrong or if the HDV doesn't allow for chapters. I'm trying to render again and will check again tonight. Any other suggestion?

Posted 05 Aug 2016 02:53 #15
Which exact program and version are you using ?

Which format are you rendering to ?
Example: Mainconcept MPEG-2, Sony AVC/MVC, ....?

Posted 05 Aug 2016 03:14 #16
I'm using Sony Vegas HD Platinum 11.

The render is Mainconcept AVC/ACC .mp4
Under Project Properties, I select the HDV 1280x720 setting which you referred me to for Youtube videos. This matches to the Mainconcept when I go to render.

Posted 05 Aug 2016 07:55 #17
Correction:
The Match Project matches up with Sony AVC ("Internet 1280x720, 24 fps"). So I was using Sony, not Mainconcepts. I have rendered it twice with Sony AVC and with the markers box checked but it won't transfer them to Architect. I checked and the MainConcept does not have a 24 fps match but I tried it and right away I could tell it wasn't going to work.
The reason I'm going through all these different attempts is because my NTSC video looks fine but when I pan on a certain scene, there are trees that get badly distorted as I move the camera. I was shooting 24 fps at the time, and that may be the problem although I wasn't panning very fast, but now I'm going back to 30 fps to try to make things smoother from now on. This distortion is not present when I render to the Sony AVC settings above and I don't know why. If that distortion wasn't so obvious I wouldn't worry with it. As a side note, I do have my project settings on Blend and Best.
Last Edit:05 Aug 2016 13:04 by Drummerkat

Posted 05 Aug 2016 18:07 #18
I have already told you my thoughts on using templates that are not designed for DVD production.
If you want to use formats that are not meant for DVD, I can't really help any further with that.

One thing I will say is that using Match Project settings in the Render As window is never a good idea.
This often leads people in the wrong direction and may block out other templates/presets that would be better suited.

When I talk about Match Media settings in all my tutorials, I am only talking about the front end of a project in the Project Properties. I am not referring to Matching Project settings in your output settings.

There is one thing I am yet to see about your project, which may be part to blame for the weird blind effect.
I need to see a screen shot of your Project Properties for Video
OR
Email me a copy of your .vf project file - this contains no video, but will show me all your settings.
help@moviestudiozen.com

I have an in-depth FAQ article from a few years ago, that teaches how to prepare video for DVD 100% manually, so you have access to ALL options available. It might be a good idea if you read this.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/167-how-to-render-a-dvd-for-dvd-architect

Turning OFF Re-Sampling is also a good idea to reduce Motion Blur.
Right-click all videos on timeline and go to Switches/Disable Re-sample
Last Edit:05 Aug 2016 18:10 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Posted 05 Aug 2016 23:23 #19
Thank you for sending project file.
Next time you send a file like that, I need just the project.vf version - not project.vf.bak

I no longer have V11 of Movie Studio installed, so I can't take screen shots with this version.
Your Project Properties have been set correctly.
I needed to check these settings, because this is the No.1 area that most people get wrong.
When set incorrectly, it can cause the problems you are describing.

If you were to render/output using the Official Specifications for DVD, here are the precise settings you should be using.

As I have said previously to you, you should be making Blu-ray discs, not DVDs.
Then you can output to the exact same format produced by your camera.
Attachments:

Posted 05 Aug 2016 23:35 #20
Thanks for the reply. That was the only "vf" file I had with that video. Your screenshot matches the settings I have been using for all my DVDs. I did re-render the problem section with the resampling disabled but that made things worse.
I think the issue with the distortion may have to do with my 24 fps setting and possibly panning too fast, although I really wasn't panning that fast at all, and in other scenes where I did pan too fast, it was all incredibly smooth. I also shoot at the highest quality. I saw the distortion initially in the problem with the window blinds as stated earlier, and that was improved with better render settings (best and blend). The problem was not seen on the Sony AVC render when I made the Youtube trailer, and that's why I pursued this option for the DVD instead even though it wasn't recommended. If I could figure out how to make the Sony AVC chapters render to Architect then I would finish the project that way, but after two attempts with the check box marked, it still won't render the chapters. I'm just going to tell the client this was a problem I couldn't resolve. It doesn't really affect the video overall or distort the people in the scene. I am shooting this weekend at 30 fps and am hoping for better results, especially since it will send directly to Architect and not recompress. I'll have to buy a blue-ray burner and player in the near future.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.216 seconds