VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Volume vs Gain

Volume vs Gain was created by Don Pedro

Posted 25 Jan 2017 01:33 #1
I am adding a music track (as well as audio track) to my movie project. Can you explain (or do you have a tutorial that explains) the proper use of the Volume and Gain options? Both can be raised or lowered inside the music track clips and I'm not sure how to differentiate the use of each one.
Thanks!
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 22:59 by Don Pedro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Volume vs Gain

Posted 25 Jan 2017 13:16 #2
Hi Don Pedro

I will assume you must be talking about the Track Compressor Audio FX that are added by default to all Audio Tracks.
No I do not have any tutorials on using this effect.

If this is what you are actually referring to, I would normally only use one of the Presets from drop down box inside this window. The Presets are generally well balanced and good options to try. Track Compression would normally be applied to a Voice track like a narration, to make the voice sound more full and present. If you press the ? (question mark) inside of the window, you can read the help file about what all the settings mean.

The Volume slider is very important for getting your audio levels correct and making sure you don't "clip" the audio and make it too loud.
Movie Studio does not have individual Meters for each audio track like Vegas Pro does, so you will need to watch the Master Audio Output Meters.
Depending on the project, I normally make sure the audio does not peak above -6 dB, then I know it should be safe.

I also have an old tutorial that explains different ways you can control your audio output.
How to Edit Audio Volume & Pan Envelopes using Sony Vegas Movie Studio & Vegas Pro

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 22:59 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Jones, Don Pedro

Replied by Don Pedro on topic Volume vs Gain

Posted 26 Jan 2017 02:37 #3
Thanks for that info... I was not aware of it...now I am! Actually I was wondering about a music (or audio) clip on the timeline. Inside the clip itself there are two adjustments...volume (blue line) and gain (white line). They can be lowered and raised using the mouse and hand/finger symbol. The volume adjustment seems to affect the entire time line, the gain adjustment seems to affect only that particular clip. Both, however affect the volume. I was wondering, for example, would you set the blue volume line high for all audio/music clips on the timeline and then use the gain to affect individual clips? Or visa versa?
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 22:59 by Don Pedro

Replied by ericlnz on topic Volume vs Gain

Posted 26 Jan 2017 09:44 #4
Yes the Bue Line is a track adjustment and the white line an event adjustment. The track volume can also be adjusted on the far left. The blue line is actually an envelope to use keyframes to vary the volume along the track.

Note the white line cannot have keyframes and cannot be raised. So it doesn't provide any positive gain. If you want to add volume to a clip add a Volume audio FX. At least this is my experience but I'm always open to be shown better ways of doing things.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 23:00 by ericlnz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Volume vs Gain

Posted 26 Jan 2017 12:10 #5
The tutorial I linked for you, shows the 3 ways you can vary Audio Volume.

1. The track Audio Volume slider affects all events on that track.
2. The "white line" Gain control lowers audio volume for just that event.
3. The "blue line" Audio Volume Envelope allows for the best control, because you can create key-frames to raise or lower the Volume at any part of the entire timeline.

You do not have to use all three modes. Always keep it as simple as possible.
If an individual audio event is "too hot" (audio waveform is MASSIVE and it is clipping), reducing the Gain would make sense.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 23:00 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don Pedro

Replied by Don Pedro on topic Volume vs Gain

Posted 30 Jan 2017 22:52 #6
Thanks again for the help. I am also using, as a last resort, the volume envelope that I saw in one of your videos. This is very handy for fading in, out, back in again in a particular clip. It takes some practice but I´m getting the hang of it.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2017 23:00 by Don Pedro

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.827 seconds