VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved SfVstServer pops up as empty window when opening Vegas MSP 14.0 sometimes. Why, what is it for?

SfVstServer pops up as empty window when opening Vegas MSP 14.0 sometimes. Why, what is it for?

SfVstServer is, according to Google searches, an exe and as such could be problematic. Reportedly it is a legacy from Sony days. I close the window immediately to avoid any misadventure.

One suggestion is that it appears as an indication something is not quite right with my version of VMSP 14.0. Has anybody encountered this, found it was a problem or simply a minor glitch and carried on?

I find that VMSP 14.0 is more stable than any previous version (Sony) of Movie Studio although on a couple of occasions immediately after I have Exited the application when completed working with a project a message pops up telling me that, "Movie Studio Platinum has stopped working." Why is it telling me that as if it is an error when I have selected Exit from the File menu to do just that ... exit the application!

Is this the error that SfVstServer is referring to?
Last Edit:02 Jun 2017 19:22 by descondon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A quick Google search shows that this can be a problem for many different programs.
The best answer I found was on the Creative Cow Vegas Pro Forum here.
Read the answer that John Rofrano has posted.
forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/964747

It would seem to indicate you have a bad VST effect installed on your computer.
This will most likely be a 3rd party effect from a non-Sony or non-Magix program, like iZotope plugins.
I am guessing it relates to this window in your Vegas Preferences.
Every time you boot Movie Studio up, the program looks inside the VST Folder, to see if any new effects have been added.

Solutions:
1. Try un-installing any 3rd party plugins shown in this window and then re-install them.
2. Try deselecting them temporarily and then re-booting program.
3. Try a full program reset, which will clean the temp files cache and restore all settings to default values.

Instructions for reset here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

Regards
Derek

p.s. I have moved your question into the Vegas Movie Studio sub-forum.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Jun 2017 16:24 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

The error message after shutting down has been around for awhile and discussed on the Magix Vegas forums. www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/movie-studio-13-crashes-everytime-on-exit--105029/

MS13 and 14 do it every time for me. On the rare occasion they don't it's because they haven't shut down properly and if I try to later restart they hang until I've been into Task Manager and ended the initial load. So to me the error message is an indication all is okay!!
Last Edit:02 Jun 2017 18:00 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, descondon

It would seem to indicate you have a bad VST effect installed on your computer.

Thank you Derek. I opened VMSP 14 and no sign of the SfVstServer window pop-up. I followed your advice anyway and deselected the VST effects. I then shut down and restarted VMSP 14 without any problems, again no sign of the pop-up.

I shall look in greater detail at each of the VST effects in turn to see if any one of them is causing a recurrence of the problem. For now I am happy that VMSP 14 is running well and, dare I say it, no major issues.

Thank you again, Derek, always quick with the answers.

The error message after shutting down has been around for awhile

Thank you ericlnz, I read the Magix Vegas forum on this subject and I gather I do not really need to worry. The number of occasions when this error message pops-up after shutting down VMSP 14 is minimal.

It sounds like either a Vegas glitch or, as suggested in the forum, a Microsoft update issue.

I can live with this as long as it doesn't have a serious impact on the reliability and productivity of VMSP 14 .

Thank you.

PS. A footnote regarding the Titler issues discussed at length previously, NB Titler EX not available in MSP 14 and NB Titler Pro Express not working at all; when I had completed resetting my Windows 7 back to factory settings and re-installing all software including, of course, Vegas MSP 14, I tested NB Titler EX and and was successful in creating a few sample titles without any watermark, which I rendered immediately as loops. Straight after that the plug-in went blank, and the samples were wiped and would not work again. I was very surprised it even worked at all. Titler Pro Express, however, has fired up and is performing well. I wonder if it is ok for you and for all others who wrote on the subject?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.900 seconds