VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering at 1080P, 60FPS

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by Michel on topic Rendering at 1080P, 60FPS

Posted 19 Aug 2017 23:31 #11
Hi Eric,

I've been making mostly family and trip projects since I bought my first camera in 2005. MS6 followed for the editing afterwards. The format of choice was .mpg and I've been using that since. I could make an 1:30hr. video and fit it on a DVD with a decent quality.

I've been working with a Sony HDR-XR500 1920x1080 full HD camera for the last 5 years. Besides the fact that it's heavy because of the big HD it contains. I'm satisfied with it but I'm now thinking of upgrading and see what the market has to offer in that field.

So I was curious in finding out and experimenting with other formats that would give me better quality for the little 10 min. project I shot of a friend coming down with a parasail on a fantastic sunny day a few weeks ago.

I got hooked when you talked about MPG4. You must understand that I'm not the most knowledgeable in all the technical aspects of video making. I'm fairly familiar with the use of MSP13 and the previous versions, with the help of Derek, but I do lack info. on the output aspects of this field.

Your previous response does help me in understanding better and I do thank you for your help, it's really appreciated Eric. I will continue in experimenting and let you know what I found...thanks again.

Michel
Last Edit:20 Aug 2017 19:34 by Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 24 Aug 2017 00:06 #12
Hi Eric,

I thought you had received my final message. I usually write it on Word, being French speaking from Canada, I correct my errors via Word before pasting my final text on the forum. I thought I had did just that last week but didn’t and erased my Word icon on the taskbar that contained my draft message.

In response to your question…90% of my projects are family or trip projects. Since they usually last around 90min. I usually use the .mpg format. Fast to render, decent quality, not the best for sure but decent. Or else what other format would you suggest that fits on a regular DVD? I would like to have better quality but the recent experience with the 10 minute project I just finished with a mp4 template, which was great quality wise, worries me a bit since, that project uses 1.2gigs on a DVD. So that means that the maximum project I could place on a DVD could not last more than 30 minutes.

Now I’m going to go back to your MPG4 comment. It’s like you’re saying that the standard mpg2 format is a thing of the past and seems to be replaced by this mpg4. I understand that you are talking about codecs, but again to clearly pose and hopefully resolve this question, what do people who want to render a 90 minute project on a standard DVD today use as a format/template to assure more than decent video/audio quality?

Always Eric, thanks for your comprehension and patience.

Michel
by Michel

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 24 Aug 2017 00:13 #13
Hi Derek,

You probably didn't see the question pertaining to a new graphics card...if you ever get a chance.

Have a nice one.

Michel
by Michel

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering at 1080P, 60FPS

Posted 24 Aug 2017 00:38 #14
MPEG2 is the only format you should be using, when rendering video for DVDs.
This is a universal standard for every DVD on Earth - every DVD movie you ever bought from a store, was encoded using MPEG2 format/codec.

A single layer 4.7 GB DVD, can comfortably fit 60 to 90 minutes of good quality Standard Definition MPEG2 video.
A dual layer 8.5 GB DVD, can fit 90 to 120 minutes of good quality Standard Definition MPEG2 video, or more.

How much video you can fit on a DVD, is determined by the Bit Rate settings you use, to render your video with.
All store bought DVDs and DVDs you make with Vegas/DVDA, use Variable Bit Rate MPEG2 video, which is very efficient.
I have a very popular tutorial on this website, that teaches precisely how to fit video to any sized DVD.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/dvd-architect-studio-50/493-how-to-compress-a-long-video-onto-a-dvd

MPEG4/H.264 video is what the vast majority of all HD 1080p video is encoded with today.
This is an even better format for rendering video with and what you should be using for video that gets uploaded to YouTube or for playback on your computer.

If you want the absolute best quality video and have large videos to save to disc, you should be making Blu-ray discs instead of DVDs.
Blu-ray uses much higher Bit Rates and is 5 to 10 times the capacity of DVDs.
Invest in a Blu-ray burner for your computer (you can buy external Blu-ray burners that connect via USB) and a Blu-ray player for your TV, then you can save 1080p HD video and a lot of it to each disc.

You probably didn't see the question pertaining to a new graphics card...if you ever get a chance.

What question do you have about Graphics Cards ?
Start a new forum thread, if you have a separate question and I will answer it.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:24 Aug 2017 00:40 by DoctorZen

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 24 Aug 2017 01:06 #15
Ho Derek,

Seems to be a mix-up between Eric and your answers...for example this last one, I was expecting it from Eric but you sent the aswer...no problem with that. I appreciate it. I have been using your bit calculator for years now...a great tool. Thanks for that and this answer. I will try and find the text I used to question the type of graphics card to use and send it as a new topic.

Michel
by Michel

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds