VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved The best way to get mp4 from MOV?

• 9190's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

The best way to get mp4 from MOV? was created by 9190

Posted 12 Feb 2018 04:14 #1
Hello. My iOS device shoots video in MOV format. I tried to add such MOV file to Movie Studio 13 Platinum, and there is a window with message:

I downloaded and installed that ****, but nothing has changed.

I heard somewhere there is some software, which can change container, for example MOV to mp4, so video itself will not be recompressed. Do you know anything about it? Or maybe some recommendations?

From the other side I heard that it's recommended to prepare video before to import it in MSP or any other video editing program. Especially if video was shooted on smartphone or tablet with variable framerate (I heard that iOS devices are the worst in this regard, but that was long time ago, I don't know if it still valid statement). So even if videos would come from my iOS device in mp4 format, it still need to be reconverted to get constant framerate before to importing it into video editing program. I read before on this forum that HandBrake program is recommended for that task. So do you think that the best solution will be just to add MOV file to HandBrake, to make constant framerate (I need 60 fps for 1080p) and convert it to mp4, if it's possible?
Last Edit:12 Feb 2018 10:47 by 9190
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic The best way to get mp4 from MOV?

Posted 12 Feb 2018 10:58 #2
I have an FAQ on which version of Apple Quicktime you need to install here.
Please read this.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/525-install-older-version-apple-quicktime-movie-studio-vegas-pro

The first thing I recommend you do is uninstall any current versions of Quicktime you have installed.
Then install version 7.7.9 - if this version does not work properly in Movie Studio, uninstall it again and then install version 7.6
The much older 7.6 version seems to work in any version of Vegas.
Download links for QT are contained in the FAQ above.

As for variable frame rate video, you definitely need to convert this to constant frame rate before importing into Vegas.
If you are unsure if the video is using variable frame rate or constant frame rate, you can install a free program called Media Info
Media Info gives you the ability to inspect all the Meta Data for any media file on your computer.
mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

I do recommend using Handbrake to convert variable frame rate video to constant frame rate.
Download Handbrake from here:
handbrake.fr/

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• 9190's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by 9190 on topic The best way to get mp4 from MOV?

Posted 13 Feb 2018 02:29 #3
Thank you Derek!
I hope that HandBrake can not just bring MOV video to constant frame rate, but also to convert it to mp4 format (on the way, in one operation, if it's possible to choose output format before to start to make constant frame rate operation). If so, then I probably won't need that QuickTime… But still, I heard about software, which can change container (MOV to mp4 for instance) without affecting the video itself. I just don't remember.

Thanks again for the information, I will read all.
by 9190

Replied by DoctorZen on topic The best way to get mp4 from MOV?

Posted 13 Feb 2018 10:23 #4

I hope that HandBrake can not just bring MOV video to constant frame rate, but also to convert it to mp4 format

Yes it all happens in one step inside of Handbrake.
I would never tell anyone half the story - this is a no steps skipped channel.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:19 Feb 2018 16:44 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds