VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Rendering Issues - video screen is flashing

Rendering Issues - video screen is flashing was created by traxstaromega

Posted 13 Jun 2018 15:44 #1
Hey there! So I just finished editing a video only to find that movie studio doesn't feel like rendering properly. Every one to two seconds in the video the screen goes completely black and then back to normal for a little bit longer before another flash. I looked at the trouble shooting video, and found that my project was corrupted so I moved everything over to a new one which fixed that problem, but it still rendered with the flashes no matter what I did, and then some of my text started wigging out and getting corrupted again. I'm not really sure what the problem is, and it would not surprise me if its something obvious that I just missed cause i'm new to the software.

Last Edit:13 Jun 2018 15:59 by traxstaromega
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering Issues - video screen is flashing

Posted 13 Jun 2018 16:16 #2
Hi TRAXSTAROMEGA

It looks like from one of your screen shots, that you are using Movie Studio Platinum 12.
Is this correct ?

Thank you for the screen shots, because they have helped speed up the diagnosis.

I can already see 3 different settings that do not match at all !
1. Your first screen shot is showing that your original video was recorded at 1920x1080 60fps progressive style video
2. Your last screen shot is showing that you selected an Interlaced template to render your video with
3. Then in your Custom Settings, you have set a Frame Rate of 23.976 fps

None of these pieces of information match, which could be a reason why you are seeing problems.

1. Is your original video 1920x1080 60p ?
2. You haven't provided a screen shot of your Project Properties for Video.
If your original video was shot at 60fps progressive, make sure to also set your Project Properties to the same 1920x1080 60fps Progressive
3. You should be rendering to 60 fps or 30 fps for best possible quality, not 23.976 fps.
4. Which build version of Movie Studio Platinum 12 do you have installed ?
The final build version Sony released was #1184
Go to Help/About to find out what you are using.
5. There are 2 main options in v12 you can render to.
a) Sony AVC/MVC - use the Internet 1080-30p template and adjust frame rate to 59.94 fps
b) or use Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p - manually type 59.94 fps into the Frame Rate field

I would recommend Mainconcept AVC as a better option to render with.

If changing the settings I recommend does not fix anything, I recommend you turn OFF your Intel GPU.
Also, is that the only GPU option in your computer or is there another option ?

If you have been using MSP12 for a long time on the same computer, I would also recommend you do a full program reset.
This will clean the temporary files cache and restore all settings.
Doing this sometimes fixes weird problems.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:13 Jun 2018 16:18 by DoctorZen

Replied by traxstaromega on topic Rendering Issues - video screen is flashing

Posted 14 Jun 2018 04:04 #3
thanks for replying, it really helps the problem make sense instead of seeming like some anomaly. But unfortunately I am still having problems. I did do the full reset, and changed my render template to mainconcept AVC-Internet 1080p- with 59.94 fps in the custom settings but it still does the flashy thing. I checked my video properties(which I thought I put in the last message, but I guess not) and changed it to progressive style, but It doesn't have a 1920x1080 60fps option, only 1920x1080 at 29. fps. I tried changing it manually from 29 fps to 59.94 but it just changes back when I try to render.
Attachments:

Posted 14 Jun 2018 09:33 #4
This is the Project Properties window for video !
It sounds like you have not been using the Match Media function when you import a new video at the beginning of a project.
When you use the Match Media function, Vegas will automatically set your Project Properties for you.

If the Match Media pop-up window does not appear when you import a video, do it manually.
Open the Project Properties window.
Press button at 1
Navigate through computer and select same video you just imported.
Project Properties will now look like this.
You can also set Quality (at 2) = Best

When it is time to do a render, do this.
Select Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p
Then press Customize

Manually enter 59.94 in the Frame Rate field
Turn off Allow Source to Adjust Frame Rate

If you still have problems after this, I will need answers to all the questions you have not answered from my first reply to you.
Which Build version are you using ?
What are your GPU options ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by traxstaromega on topic Rendering Issues - video screen is flashing

Posted 17 Jun 2018 03:51 #5
It didn't work at first but I went and checked everything and realized that I'm using a couple of other videos as well and those don't all have the same properties as my main one(its screen capture footage, in the video me and some friends split into groups while playing an online game. The main footage I showed you before is the one I primarily use for the first team, and the primary one for the second team has the same properties aside from fps being 59 instead of 60, as far as I can tell). This fix does work with just that video when its by itself but when I render the whole project we still have the same problem as before. Aside from re-recording, or taking out the other videos is there anyway to fix this? here's the other videos and their specs, plus all the other stuff I missed from before. Should've mentioned the other videos way earlier, sorry about that.
My build version is #333 and my GPU options are 1. Intel(R) Corporation (Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 and 2. Nvidia Corporation (GeForce GTX 970M)
Don't know if they'll appear in order but I put them in order of importance, first being the main for team 1 second being the main for team 2. The rest are the rest of our footage, accept the last two images which is an intro I edited and rendered in a different project I included its properties from when I rendered it the first time. What confuses me is that I had no problems rendering the video before for the intro and I used all of the same footage, but now if I try to render that project it has the flashing problem, so whatever it is that causes this it wasn't there before.
Thanks for your patience, I am certainly new to this sort of thing!

Last Edit:17 Jun 2018 11:25 by traxstaromega

Posted 17 Jun 2018 11:30 #6
Please read all my replies carefully.

In the new screen shots you have uploaded, one is showing your Project Properties again.
In my last reply to you, you need to look closely at my first screen shot.
You MUST set your Field Order to Progressive, when working with video screen captures !!!
If you are using the Match Media function that pops up when import a video into Vegas - stop doing that when importing many different types of video.
When importing mixed types of video, you need to manually set your Project Properties after importing your videos, to make sure it is set correctly.

In your GPU settings, select your Nvidia GTX970M.

The build version you are using for Movie Studio Platinum 12 is very, very old !
The final build version for v12 was #1184 - you are missing out on a large list of bug fixes and new program features.
The only place you can download build version #1184 is from MAGIX.
If you haven't already created a MAGIX account, do that now.
www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/

In your account settings, you can register your old Sony Vegas software using your serial activation code, found in Help/About in Vegas.
Then from your software list, you will find a download link for the final build version ever released for VMSP12.

Because you are mixing all those different types of video and many of them are less than 30 fps, you will probably have to set your Frame Rate to 29.97 fps Progressive in Vegas and not use 59.94 fps.

One of your videos is 27 fps.
That looks like a variable frame rate video and they can cause BIG problems.
I recommend you remove this video from your project.
Then use a video converter program and convert it to 29.97 fps.
Then import the new version back into your project.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.946 seconds