VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas

How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas was created by thefunbeach

Posted 16 Sep 2018 04:42 #1
I was thrilled to find your site - help with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is available !! THANK YOU for putting this together !!
I have version 14 and just upgraded to 15, but both are still working on my machine. V15 has only minor improvements.
I'm the person that just donated.

I have 2 problems, both with the Pan/Crop tool and could use your help !!!

Prob 1: In my video I'm green screened with me at a desk on the far right side of the frame so I can put info on the left side of the screen. It would be helpful to just dump the image on the left out. The green screen has shadows on that side. If I could crop out that area, then the green screening process gets easier. When doing photography, cropping puts handles in the corners and edges. If this was the cropping tool in Vegas, I'd like to grab the left edge and drag it to the right and just crop out the left side. But in Vegas, the Pan/Crop tool is funky. I've played with it a ton and can't leave the image on the right side of the screen. I could get around this other ways, but I'm thinking there is probably an easy technique that I just don't know yet.

Prob 2: I'm in center of green screen and can crop me so I'm in the middle 3rd. I want to do this 3 times, so I can be in front of the green screen with me in left 3rd, center 3rd & right 3rd. How to do this ? Do you have a tutorial on this ? paul@thefunbeach.com
Last Edit:17 Sep 2018 09:43 by thefunbeach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas

Posted 16 Sep 2018 09:45 #2
Hi Paul

Thank you for your donation :)

There are some major differences between v14 and v15.
The desktop has been redesigned and GPU Acceleration is now available for all modern Nvidia, AMD and Intel graphics cards, when you render with the new MAGIX AVC format.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest build version which is #146.
To check which build version you have installed, go to Help/About.
If you don't have build #146, download and install from here:
rdir.magix.net/?page=RT7732R6EYAC

I think I understand the questions you are asking?
It would be good if you could upload some screen shots that show exactly what you are describing.
If you don't know how to take a screen shot, read this help file here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/welcome-to-msz/1541-how-to-take-a-screen-shot-of-your-desktop-and-upload-it-to-the-forum#7660

There are 2 main tools for controlling the video frame in Vegas Movie Studio.
1. Event Pan/Crop
2. Track Motion

If I am understanding problem #1, you need to use the Track Motion tool instead and not use Event Pan/Crop.
Save a new copy of your project with a different file, that you can use to experiment with.
First open Event Pan/Crop, right-click inside of window and select Restore.

On the Video track your green screen video is located on, go to the Track Control box and select the "hamburger" button (3 horizontal lines), and select Track Motion.

To understand the full power of how to use the Track Motion and Event Pan/Crop windows, I recommend you read and watch this tutorial here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/546-multi-screen-video-fx-sony-vegas-pro

I think that after you read/watch this tutorial, you will get your answers.

You can also use the Cookie Cutter tool to crop out sections of video.

If you still have questions after reading and watching my tutorial, please upload some screen shots that show your problem.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Sep 2018 11:03 by DoctorZen

Replied by thefunbeach on topic How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas

Posted 16 Sep 2018 16:24 #3
Dude !! Awesome answer !! Problems solved. THANX ! Not just for this answer which should cover me, but just knowing ur available for help - lessens the panic. That was too easy for you. I'm looking forward to your free ebook with shortcuts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas

Posted 16 Sep 2018 17:40 #4
I use Chroma Key green screen in a lot of my tutorials.
I use Track Motion a lot to re-position myself in a few clicks.

I recommend you change edit your user name, instead of using an email address.
Every day this forum gets attacked by spammers - I am always deleting messages.
If they grab hold of your email, you'll get bombarded with crap.

Maybe just use "TheFunBeach" ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by thefunbeach on topic How to use the Event Pan/Crop tool in Vegas

Posted 17 Sep 2018 02:50 #5
done - name changed. Thanx again Dr. Z !
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.754 seconds