VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to set Default Render settings

How to set Default Render settings was created by PETENOW

Posted 09 Feb 2019 11:41 #1
When I click on "make movie" to render I get a default resolution of 640x480. I am sure that I set it up that way since I was doing alot of 4:3 stuff. It has been years since I set it up and I don't remember how to change it. I can click on advanced options but I really want what I choose in advanced options to be the default. I will take any help I can get but a video showing the process would be very helpful.
Last Edit:10 Feb 2019 12:18 by PETENOW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to set Default Render settings

Posted 09 Feb 2019 15:57 #2
Before I can answer your question, I need to know which exact program and version you are using ?
Example: Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13

While you are at it, also which build version you have installed ?
Open Vegas and go to Help/About to find the build version. This is to make sure you have the latest build version which will contain bug fixes.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by PETENOW on topic How to set Default Render settings

Posted 09 Feb 2019 17:17 #3
This is my first time using this service so I hope you are seeing this reply. The program I am using is "Vegas Movie Studio 14.0 Platinum (build 148).
by PETENOW

Posted 09 Feb 2019 20:14 #4
My advice is to always render video using the Advanced Settings.
Using the preset default options is a bit of a lucky dip and often does not produce the best results.

The quickest way is to render is to go to Project/Render As
This takes you directly to the Advanced Options.

1. In version 14, the best option for rendering in most situations is to use Mainconcept AVC/AAC
Then select a template that matches your Project Properties and Source video files.
2. Typically this will be Internet HD 1080p
3. Press Customize to open Advanced Settings

Make sure you render to the same Frame Rate your video and project properties are set to.
1. Check or change Frame Rate
2. Turn OFF Allow source to adjust Frame Rate
3. Now name your new template with a description that makes sense to you!
4. Then press the SAVE button at top and press OK at bottom.

When you go back to the main Render As window, you will now notice your New Custom Template
Press the star next to template to set as a favourite!
Now every time you want to render a video, go to File/Render As, select Mainconcept AVC/AAC and also select your Custom Template.
Make sure to check the Output Folder Location and Name have been set correctly.
And finally press Render to begin.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Feb 2019 20:18 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by Robbie on topic How to set Default Render settings

Posted 10 Feb 2019 00:06 #5
Hi Pete
I’m with Dr Zen and always render video using the Advanced Settings.
I'm not aware of a way to directly change the defaults for “Make Movie” rendering. However, I believe that the settings for “Make Movie” are determined by (in priority order):
• Any applicable specifications (eg if you selected rendering for DVD); or
• The Project Settings (change the project settings and the Make Movie settings will change - unless its for say DVD where the specification will override); or
• The source media if you set project settings to match media when you import a clip to the timeline.
Hope that helps
Cheers, Robbie
Last Edit:10 Feb 2019 00:09 by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 11 Feb 2019 14:07 #6
Thank you both for your help. I am happy with your answers. I am however unhappy with the button in the program that state "make movie." It seems a real waste to have that there and have nothing but low resolution videos come out of it. I would have no problem if that button were not there at all. In fact I would like to have that button reprogrammed to go to advanced settings.

A few things... What I mostly do is create promotion videos for my Church. Initially the video was projected to a 10 foot square screen and the video was in 4:3 format. Now the video is played from a computer to a wide screen TV. When I set up a project I use the DVD setting and then pick wide screen.

When starting a project:
I pick DVD 24p wide screen
The resolution states 720X480 23.976 Progresive
Then after all the editing is done and I choose the dreaded "make move" it list a resolution of 640X480. Why the change? Or maybe it doesn't matter since I am never using that again.

Assuming that I would never use that again, I would go directly to advanced setting to render. You suggest that I use Main Concept AVC/AAC and then choose "internet hd 1080p." I have tried that and it produced a file that was too large. So I went back to what my client suggested and seems to work fine which is the WMV file. It creates a much smaller file and it seems to be working fine. I was able to save the settings with a unique name as you suggested.
You also suggest matching the frame rate of the project to the frame rate of the render. As it were, I was using a 24P for the project but rendering at 25p. I did not notice any problems at all but going forward I am doing everything in 24p.

All of these video settings drive me crazy. I come from a audio background which is much easier. Is there any information that spells out what all these resolution descriptions mean?

Thanks for you details help.
by PETENOW

Posted 11 Feb 2019 17:14 #7

I am however unhappy with the button in the program that state "make movie." It seems a real waste to have that there and have nothing but low resolution videos come out of it.

That is not because of the program (Vegas) - it is doing that because of the Project Property settings you have selected and the type of format you have selected.
If you set up Vegas correctly with standard 1920x1080p settings, it will output 1920x1080p when using the default Make Movie option.

I don't intend to sound mean or rude, but the way you are setting up Vegas is very antiquated, which is why you are getting poor results.
It's time to change your workflow and work only with High Definition settings.

If you are not making DVDs but are actually playing back video on a widescreen TV, please stop using DVD settings!

Please watch my beginners guide tutorial for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14, if you haven't already done so.
This shows the BEST (and professional) way for setting up projects, to get the best results.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/584-beginners-guide-vegas-movie-studio-14-platinum

Always set up your project using the same Frame Size and Frame Rate that your source video was recorded in.
If you use the Match Media function at the beginning of a project, Vegas will set all the settings for you!

Always render to the same Frame Size and Frame Rate that your source video was recorded in.

If your Source Video and Vegas Project Properties are 1920x1080 at 25fps, you need to render to the exact same settings.
DON'T change Frame Rates when it is time to render - this can cause many problems and poor quality/blurry video.

STOP rendering to Windows Media Video .wmv !
This is an ancient video format that no one uses today, unless they are living in a time capsule.

You should ALWAYS be rendering to Mainconcept AVC/AAC for play back on a modern widescreen TV.
This is the BEST format in Vegas Movie Studio.
Yes the file sizes will be larger, but that is because the Bit Rate and Quality are also much better.
If you only have tiny Hard Drive capacity, it's time to invest in some new large capacity Hard Drives, which are very affordable today.
If Hard Drive capacity is very limited for you, I recommend using Handbrake to shrink your file sizes - however you are not going to like this, because then you really do have to work with lots of Video Settings. I do have a beginners guide for Handbrake here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/595-handbrake-v1-1-1-beginners-guide-for-best-video-export-settings

Once you know what to do, it is not a big deal setting up each project in Vegas, because like I showed you, you can create Custom Templates for everything in Vegas and select them with a click of a button.
Last Edit:11 Feb 2019 17:16 by DoctorZen

Replied by Robbie on topic How to set Default Render settings

Posted 12 Feb 2019 21:53 #8
Hi Pete

PETENOW wrote: I pick DVD 24p wide screen
The resolution states 720X480 23.976 Progressive
Then after all the editing is done and I choose the dreaded "make move" it list a resolution of 640X480. Why the change?

Some file formats work with square pixels and some work with rectangular pixels. At the risk of over simplifying, the DVD format uses rectangular pixels so needs more horizontal pixels to produce the same image display width than some of the other file formats that the Make Movie wizard is offering (eg WMV) which are using square pixels.
Cheers, Robbie
Last Edit:12 Feb 2019 21:57 by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETENOW

Posted 13 Feb 2019 11:15 #9
Thank you for all of your information. I really enjoyed the video showing some basics. What I really liked about the video was that you spoke at normal human speed. Most of the videos I see on you tube are narrated by people who must think they are on a time limit. I am very happy to have found this source of information. I will be back to learn more. My goal is to know what every setting in this program will do. I don't know if that is obtainable but I want to shoot for that.
by PETENOW
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.928 seconds