VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Bit Depth Question

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

Replied by RobWS on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 02 Jul 2019 07:26 #11
Okay Derek, I just put the 3 files on Goggle Drive. Hopefully I was successful. If you did not receive them, I will try again.
Last Edit:02 Jul 2019 10:54 by RobWS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 02 Jul 2019 10:56 #12
You need to send me a link to your files.
Right-click each file or right-click the folder you uploaded files to and select Get Shareable Link
Copy link and post on forum, so I can download files.

Link is like this test one I created:
drive.google.com/open?id=1PU2kGnCIAfkQMbEkS3Au9sMIydq6M8jA
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 03 Jul 2019 15:52 #14
Thanks for the audio samples.

I can report that ALL three audio samples play back perfectly in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16.
Zooming in on the timeline does not cause problems.

I am assuming you are using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16 and not the non-platinum basic version.
I did test your samples in both versions of VMS16 and they both work 100% OK.

It would be great if some other forum members could also test your audio samples, to confirm my testing results.

Something worth trying...
As I said to you at the beginning of this thread, I have also experienced the exact same problem as yourself, with .wav files that came from a Zoom audio recorder. I remember the clipping and waveform getting chopped up. It's driving me crazy that I can't remember specifically what I did to fix the problem. However, I seem to remember that my problems started after I installed one of the BIG Windows Updates that get released once or twice a year.

I discovered that after you install a major Windows update, sometimes some programs and drivers stop working correctly.
Uninstalling and reinstalling them seems to do the trick - at least that's what I vaguely remember.
Very specifically, I pinned my problem down to my custom Sound Blaster Audio Drivers.
I uninstalled the audio drivers and then reinstalled from a fresh download with the latest driver updates.
After rebooting the computer, all the .wav files worked 100% OK in Vegas.

On most people's computers, Realtek is the type of Audio Drivers that get installed.
They normally work with the on board Audio which is part of your Motherboard.
However if you use a dedicated Audio Card like Soundblaster, it uses it's own special drivers.

If you have Realtek audio drivers installed, you should see them listed in your Windows Programs & Features list.
This article may help you out:
www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-reinstall-the-realtek-hd-audio-codec-driver
If you know the make and model of your Motherboard, look it up and find the Driver Downloads for it. You should find the latest audio drivers for it here.
If you need help in finding them, send me your make and model.
If you are using a laptop, you can do the same thing.

After you find the correct and latest audio drivers, download them - but don't install yet!
Uninstall the drivers first, then install new drivers.
Re-boot your computer and also reset Vegas.
Start a new test project and add one of the audio samples that is not working correctly.
Does it work OK now ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Jul 2019 17:24 by DoctorZen

Replied by FayFen on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 03 Jul 2019 17:14 #15
No problems on my VMS16p here also.
Rob, where exactly do you hear an issue in that zoom file?
Cakewalk is few db's louder than the zoom.

** I never use the onboard realtek. Now I'm with a 1$ USB sound card
Normally I use 6$ cheap pci card but I removed it to put my DV card.
Last Edit:03 Jul 2019 17:19 by FayFen

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 03 Jul 2019 23:42 #16

FayFen wrote: No problems on my VMS16p here also.

Cakewalk is few db's louder than the zoom.

Derek, I get the same results as you and FayFen.
Best Regards......George

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 04 Jul 2019 07:59 #17
To review...I have used a Canon video camera, a Panasonic video camera, and a GoPro Camera. None of their files have ever produced any audio problems in MS. Only when I insert a Zoom H4n audio file do I have trouble.

I have attached a link to a video clip demonstrating the effect of the Zoom audio. The audio randomly chops seemingly every second and does not even correspond to the wave displayed on the clip. But again, I could not get this example to produce the static. If I can find a spot that will, I can shoot another brief video of what that looks like in MS16 Plat.

drive.google.com/open?id=1bUSIdxt4Pe23eTsDL1ybbr-H-59J0WjO
by RobWS

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 04 Jul 2019 09:57 #18
Hi RobWS,

I have nothing of value to help you with your audio issue other than I have used a Zoom H4N for many recordings and never had the issues you have been having.
Best Regards......George

Replied by FayFen on topic Bit Depth Question

Posted 08 Jul 2019 15:52 #19
Rob, still I don't know what I hear in that video.
you should let us hear that very same spot in audacity or other software where you don't have issues.
Last Edit:08 Jul 2019 15:53 by FayFen

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 10 Jul 2019 07:58 #20
I placed the original Zoom clip into MS16 Plat, and rendered the audio to ac3. Here is the link to that clip. And this is also the way it sounds playing on the timeline.

drive.google.com/open?id=1Ugf8xwo_p5tPGJrznQ0OZRD2887FrP2N

That very same zoom clip not processed through MS16 is here again. (I had included it in a previous reply).

drive.google.com/open?id=1FNCnqZa8Q0ZxEc7r7HK9Qffrl8D8eh9o

I am also attaching a screenshot of what that clip looks like on the timeline. The waveform that you see and the audio that you hear appear to be two very different clips.
by RobWS

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.108 seconds