Question adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ?

• Thank you received: 0

adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ? was created by DBenz

Hi,
Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum
trialling it.
I need to sort out an overexposed part of a clip, how is that done ?

no good drag drop levels or brightness contrast to the clip as the good parts are also then attacked.

As I move view to the brighter lit area I need a transition in of the adjustment then as I pan back to the duller area I need a transition out of the adjustment.

DBenz
29 Sep 2019 03:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by ericlnz on topic adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ?

Use Bezier Mask FX to "isolate" that part of the clip. Then you can adjust it without affecting the rest. Bezier Mask was only recently introduced in VMS Plat 16.
29 Sep 2019 09:48 #2

• Thank you received: 1315

Replied by DoctorZen on topic adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ?

I made tutorial about this topic a long time ago here.
You should be able to adapt the process using Eric's method.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/581-adjust-exposure-layer-masks-vegas-pro
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
29 Sep 2019 14:26 #3

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by DBenz on topic adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ?

Hi,
I need to explain further, its not as if part of the frame is over bright, so I need to mask off that part and make adjustments, its when for example I am aiming at the sky, on full manual control exposure all settings locked, filming an aircraft which is in same light as the ground, exposure was established for the ground, but then it enters hazy sunlight then cloud again then strong sunlight then cloud again, I was unable to adjust aperture in time.

or an entire scene on the ground where the sun gradually comes out and I was not on auto but filming again on full manual control for when the aircraft was in the sky, then as it landed the sun overtime came out.
However I also have shots where masking would be ideal but impossible where I am in woodland looking to the sky, sky is overexposed whilst woodland is ok, again I need to sort the sky out, not interested in the woodland as such, subject was in the sky. Impossible to mask out all those leaves and twigs as there are a lot of them with blue sky in the middle portion only of the frame.

So a means of fading in and out exposure adjustment is required. I dont see an 'exposure' effect, only levels or brightness/contrast. In Photoshop one can open a raw file and alter exposure, sort out +/- 2 stops, different effect from the others just mentions of L or B/C or even HSL.

I do see animate, a very small stopwatch with a + but how to use it and fade effects in and out not so sure. A fade line like fading audio is the ideal.

As such exposure error happenings as the sun starts to show etc must be commonplace, I am surprised to see nothing on the internet on this for video editors as I have loads of footage where mother nature changed the lighting. I dont use automatic when filming aircraft as you end up with frozen prop blades or silhouettes or both !

DBenz
30 Sep 2019 04:06 #4

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by ericlnz on topic adjust exposure in part of a clip...how ?

I'd use Levels FX to adjust the exposure. It has several settings you can play with. To change it gradually you need to use keyframes (animation). If you are not experienced with keyframing suggest you look at Dr Zen's Tutorials here and possibly there are others on the net.

If your lighting changes fairly quickly there is an easier way avoiding keyframes. On the timeline Split your clip at the start and end of the section that needs adjusting. Apply levels FX to this section. Then to avoid a sudden change drag the beginning and end of the adjusted clip to extend it over its adjacent unadjusted sections. This creates a fade in and fade out effect. Adjusting the length of these crossfades will adjust the smoothness of the change.
30 Sep 2019 09:37 #5

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.