VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Flickering in Preview and after rendering

• GH_Aus
  • GH_Aus's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Flickering in Preview and after rendering was created by GH_Aus

Posted 10 Dec 2019 22:22 #1
Hi Derek,

I have been using Sony Vegas 14 to edit our videos from a recent family holiday. When I play the original video on Windows Media player the video look smooth.
After I import it into SV14 there are lots of horizontal lines around my video. Reading your tutorials im guessing its an interlacing or blurring problem.
I follow your steps and the horizontal lines disappear but the video then seems to have flickering in both the preview as well as after i render.

The videos were taken on a Sony HDR-XR150
When I import them into SV14 the settings under the preview are 1440x1080x32, 25p
I also checked Under project properties – Match Media Video Settings

Following various tutorials:
I check my GPU and one appears
I have tried changing the template to HD_1920x1080 29.970fps
Full resolution quality – Best
Preview – Best / Full
Deinterlace method – Tried None | Blend Fields and Interpolate Fields. Still no luck.

Right clicked on video and clicked Reduce interlace flicker, and select Disable resample. Still no luck.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Last Edit:10 Dec 2019 22:48 by GH_Aus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Flickering in Preview and after rendering

Posted 10 Dec 2019 22:54 #2
Hi GH_Aus

Please install a free app called Media Info and make a report for the video you are using in your project.
I have instructions on how to set it up and make a report here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/2234-audio-going-out-of-sync-in-vegas-pro-14#11356

This will tell me exactly what type of video your camera is outputting, so that I know what information to tell you.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Dec 2019 10:19 by DoctorZen

• GH_Aus
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by GH_Aus on topic Flickering in Preview and after rendering

Posted 17 Dec 2019 22:04 #3
Hi Derek,

Im sorry for the delay as we have been away for a week.

I have used Media Info and I have attached the specs.

Thanks

File Attachment:

File Name: Video_Specs.txt
File Size:3 KB
by GH_Aus

Posted 21 Dec 2019 12:42 #4
Sorry for the delay in replying to your message :blush:
I have been very ill for more than a week and was not capable of answering anyone's questions until I got better.

Your source video is 1440x1080 25fps Interlaced, Scan order: Top Field First
If you used the Match Media function correctly when you imported your video, that should have automatically set your Project Properties correctly for you.
Whenever you work with Interlaced video, you must set your Project Properties to de-interlace the video, otherwise you will see horizontal lines.
1440x1080 video also uses a weird Pixel Aspect Ratio, so it's important that it is set correctly as well.
It is OK to convert 1440x1080 into 1920x1080 when it is time to render you project - the render process will automatically convert the video for you into 1920x1080.

Your Project Properties should look like this:
It is very important your Field Order = Upper Field First
De-interlace Method is normally set to Blend Fields (this should work best).
I also recommend your Resample Mode is set to Disable Resample.

When it is time to render your project, make sure you use the same Frame Rate of 25 fps.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• GH_Aus
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 28 Dec 2019 22:54 #5
Hi Derek,

I hope you are feeling better now. Its not a good time to be getting sick!

Im sorry to bug you again but i have double checked the settings and tried to render and still no luck.

Im guessing it must have something to do with my rendering process.

Thanks
by GH_Aus

Replied by FayFen on topic Flickering in Preview and after rendering

Posted 29 Dec 2019 17:39 #6
What kind of flickering? is it the first time ever you use this kind of footage in VMS?
Is it on outdoors shots as indoor ones?
Last Edit:29 Dec 2019 17:40 by FayFen

Posted 30 Dec 2019 00:16 #7
If you know how to create a Video Screen Capture, can you please record a video that shows exactly what the problem looks like.
I really need to see what you mean, because if you are using the correct settings, you should not be seeing "Interlaced Lines" in your video, which makes me now think the type of horizontal lines you are seeing are something different to what I thought.

You can upload the video screen capture to YouTube and share link on the forum here.
You can set your YT video to unlisted, so that it does not show publicly on YouTube.

So there is no confusion, here are the settings you should be using to render your final video.
In Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14, you should be using Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet HD 1080p

It is also important to make sure your Frame Rate is set to 25 fps and not 29.97 fps, because your original video is recorded at 25 fps.
If you render a 25 fps video to 29.97 fps, that could potentially make your video look terrible!

To check your Frame Rate setting before you begin a render, press Customize Template at the bottom of the render as window.
Set Frame Rate = 25 fps
Also make sure Allow source to adjust frame rate = OFF

• GH_Aus
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 04 Jan 2020 21:45 #8
Hi Fayfen,

Thanks for your reply.

The videos are both indoor and outdoor. I have tried to edit other similar videos previously and have had the same problem. I have many hours of footage and have spend weeks editing the video and its a little disappointing that the final video is not as smooth/crisp as what it should be. I will be replying to Derek with some screen shots that may help describe my problem.

Thanks again for your reply.
by GH_Aus

• GH_Aus
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 04 Jan 2020 22:09 #9
Hi Derek,

Im new to this so im not sure how to send you the video screen capture. Could i use something like drop box?

Also i have attached some screen shots of the settings im using to import the video and rendering settings as your suggested. The last image show that when i stop the video it looks blurred. When you play the video it shows randomly these very thin lines across my video and doesn't look very smooth.

I feel i have followed your instructions but im happy to be corrected.

Thanks

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Last Edit:04 Jan 2020 22:10 by GH_Aus
Attachments:

Posted 05 Jan 2020 09:41 #10
Thanks for info, however in the future, please don't upload your screen shots embedded into a .pdf file.
Just upload each screen shot separately and directly to the forum, then it can be viewed quickly at full size using the forum controls.

There is only one thing I need to see and that is a copy of the video you say has problems, however I think I can now guess as to what your problem is without having to see your video. All your settings look correct, so I can only assume you are talking about a problem that is being generated by the type of video you have shot.
I am guessing the problems you are describing only occur when you are panning sideways - is this correct ?

If you don't know how to create a video screen capture, please just upload the video (that shows the problems) to YouTube and then share the link for the video in a forum reply. You can set YouTube videos as "unlisted" so that it does not appear publicly on YT, but will only be visible to people who have the link.

I have just downloaded a copy of your Sony HDR-XR150 video camera's instruction manual.
www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4170/41708921M.pdf
Without seeing your video, I think I can now guess as to what the actual problem is.
It looks like you don't have your video camera set to record at it's maximum quality setting, which means all the videos you recorded, only used low Bit Rate quality settings.

Your camera has 5 possible quality settings.
1. FX: Max. 24Mbps 1,920 x 1,080 pixels/16:9 - this is the best quality setting and what you should always be using.
Notice that your maximum quality setting actually records at full HD 1920x1080, whereas the videos you recorded are only at 1440x1080 - this is an older style low quality format that I do not recommend anyone be using in 2020.

2. FH: Approx. 17Mbps (average) 1,920 x 1,080 pixels/16:9
3. HQ: Approx. 9Mbps (average) 1,440 x 1,080 pixels/16:9 - I am guessing this is the actual setting your camera is using right now. Notice that it is only using a low bit rate of 9 Mbps. A low bit rate makes it very difficult to capture panning shots that have a lot of fine detail.
4. LP: Approx. 5Mbps (average) 1,440 x 1,080 pixels/16:9
5. Standard definition image quality (STD) - HQ: Approx. 9Mbps (average) 720 x 480 pixels/16:9, 4:3

Open the instruction manual and read pages 26 and 27 - this will show you how to set your camera to MAXIMUM QUALITY FX 1920x1080.
The most important part to read is at the bottom of page 26 (right side) and beginning of page 27 (left side).
Last Edit:05 Jan 2020 09:44 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: GH_Aus

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds